Bought a 2011 Touareg TDI, code P242A

77 K20

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg TDI LUX
It has been quite a while since I've posted to this forum. My 2000 Golf TDI and my 2005 Passat wagon TDI were both totalled by idiots running into me. My 2004 Passat TDI had 2 turbos blow in about a year and a half so I got rid of that car... but I missed TDIs a lot-

I found the 2011 in Portland which was an 11 hour drive from home for a good deal. Started driving it back early last Sunday in the pouring rain and about an hour outside of Portland the check engine light came on. It was running fine- checked the code and kept driving home.

P242A Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor, B1 S3 malfunction. I tried to clear it, but it just pops back up immediately.

It has an appointment at the local VW dealer next week as they are booked until then.

Seems I've read that a lot of the newly fixed ones seem to have some issues for a bit until the "bugs" get worked out of them.

So far I really like it- with 3 adults and luggage on it I averaged 27.3 mpg on the way home. That involved 3 passes and cold temps with a lot of rain and some slush.

I'll post back here with what the dealer says since it should be covered by the emissions warranty.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
It seems I've read that a lot of the newly fixed ones seem to have some issues for a bit until the "bugs" get worked out of them.
Yes, many have sat for two years and they simply need to be "re-broken in". I had P20EE code regarding NOx too high which could be due to DEF pump not pumping enough or bad sensor. It came on very next day of buying it and 250 miles. I reset it, but it came back a few days later, and a few more times, but it suddenly stopped come on, and has not come on since.

If yours runs fine, you might wait to see if you can clear it and it doesn't come back.

77 K20

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg TDI LUX
A small update- last night after work I got the diesel particulate filter warning light illuminated.

Called the dealer this morning and they wanted me to swing by to check to make sure my P242A code was valid and to order parts (if needed) for my appointment next week.

They found the same code. They were unable to clear it also. They didn't have sensors on hand so have to order it.

They say without a functional EGT sensor it doesn't go into regen and then the particulate filter will start to plug. Best not to drive it.

It is covered by the emissions warranty. They did not have any loaner cars to drive in the meantime though.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Good thing for the warranty!
They are usually not even needed. Our '98 Jetta TDI is unbelievably reliable! Everything of significance is still factory original at 270K miles and approaching 22 years!

The only major item that was replaced was A/C compressor at 7 years and 180K miles (we live in FL, what do you expect!).

About 6 years ago, it even towed a fairly large U-Haul with a motorcycle, household items, and heavy movie lighting equipment, with the car packed full too from FL to CA thru mountains, getting low 20s in MPG instead of normal 50. I was worried my son would BLOW a turbo (or something else) under such strain on the engine, but he made it just fine! :D

77 K20

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg TDI LUX
Got it back from the VW dealer today.

They replaced the EGT sensor. They said the wiring was fine- it didn't melt or anything. So it was replaced. P/N:059-906-088-BF

Then they forced it to do the regen and made sure the DPF cleared.

So I'm all good to go- no lights on the dash anyway.