Bottom of engine belly pan finally fell off after 16 years

MY1STVW

TDI
Passat TDI Wagon 2004
I'm in the Kansas City area and need another bottom of the engine belly pan w/ fasteners.
Is it okay to drive around without one?
For 16 years I have been cursing that thing as it is a pain in the butt to reinstall after a oil change.
Can I even buy a replacement since it is so old of a car?

CoolAirVW do you have any used belly pans I could buy?

Original owner here 226,000 miles on my car....2nd transmission :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The belly pan is important. Besides smoothing airflow, helping FE, and reducing noise, it protects some otherwise exposed hardware like the alternator, serp belt system, and most important the turbo and actuator. I'd replace it. You probalby need side skirts, too, as usually those failing is the last straw for the belly pan.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
There used to be someone selling aluminum belly pans, an upgrade over the plastic ones. Not sure if you can still get them.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Dieselgeek had the Panzer plates. Some of our trusted vendors sold the competition by Evolution Thor. I have the Evolution and like it a lot, which also has a cut-out for bottom drain oil changes.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
i went through this when i first got my wag earlier this year. the aluminum plates are still out there and have street cred, but i opted for the factory plastic. it's fiber reinforced and has sound design. there are ill fitting aftermarket ones that are just vacuum formed plastic. the number and type of fasteners you will need depends on how many pieces you will be installing. the part numbers for the fasteners are listed in the "common part numbers" thread. i used a bunch more of the long fasteners than initially thought. i only have one short one installed in the front center location. if you run without it for too long, your wheel liners will rub and you'll lose one of the side attachment points. have yet to install the side skirts, so i don't know that that takes.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
What is this "side skirts" that is being mentioned? I was thinking wheel liners, but it seems to be not the case.

To the OP. Check out the wrecking yards. There are many B5's in the yards out there.