Botched Timing Belt?

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
I went to pick up my 02 TDI late Friday after its first timing belt change, done by my independent VW shop with which I've had good experience previously. The mechanic mentioned he took it for a test drive when he was done. Funny thing, he skipped out of there pretty quick at closing time, and I think I figured out why later. Before I even hit the edge of the parking lot something didn't seem right, and when I got on the road an accelerated it was quite sluggish (and this is an Upsoluted car!). I also heard what sounded like an air-rushing sound in the dash, then noticed a black cloud behind me.

I did a quick U-turn and left it there for the weekend. Seems to me he probably let the timing change. I know they do diesel belts, and in fact have done two for old non-TDI diesel VWs we've had.

I didn't want to drive the car any more to analyze that air rushing sound the climbed in intensity as the RPM rose. Any idea what they may have been? Is there any chance of engine damage? I figure not if something is off by a notch or two, but it seems he has his work cut out making it right. I would just like to know as much as possible before dealing with them in the morning. Ugh!

BTW, I about fell out when they handed me a bill for $497, about $180 of it being belt and tensioner. From some other threads here it looks like I actually got a deal (aside from the car not running!).

butch

David I had a TB done on Friday and my car is really sluggish and seems to be smoking excessively. I am thinking that it may be a vaccum issue, because my brake pedal feels really weird as well. Keep us posted on your results. And yeah I think that you got a good deal.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The air-rushing sound and the black smoke suggest that an intercooler pipe blew off. It's really hard to get the lower one clamped right. It's no big deal to fix.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
So that would also explain the poor performance, I imagine? Would he have had to disconnect that to change the timing belt?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The upper intercooler pipe neds to be removed to access the timing belt. As GoFaster said, the clamps are very hard to reach and he either had a hard time refitting it or simply forgot? But your symptoms are very similar to an intercooler plumbing leak (air whooshing sound & smoke).

MiksTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Galactic Blue
Davidlp,
The intercooler pipe is the most probable cause from the symptoms. Your mechanic might of just forgot to reinstall it. Like GoFaster said, no big deal.

Butch,
Your lack of brake or vacuum could possibly be the gasket on the vac pump @ the end of your cam. Your Mech might not of replaced the gasket or improperly installed the pump back on. I'd take a look seeee. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I too vote for the intercooler piping. I've done a couple timing belts, and on the last one I did I had the alignment off by one notch. This was on a BMW 323i. Naturally I GENTLY turned the engine over by hand (spark plugs out)and it quickly reached a point where it didn't want to turn because a valve hit a piston. I still had the timing covers off at this point, so I just released the tensioner and re-checked the alignment, no big deal, ran just fine when I was done... It was off by such a small amount that I could barely tell by looking at the alignment marks, but that was enough to cause mechanical interference in the engine. I'll bet the tolerances in the TDI are even tighter, so if it was off by one notch, CRUNCH, no more engine.... Therefore it must be something else...

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, good news. I relayed this group's info to the mechanic, and he found the intercooler piping had popped loose or something. He said it took him two unsuccessful tries plus help from another mechanic to finally get it to stay together. I've got it back and am smiling again. Thanks for all your input.