Botched Timing Belt Job?

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hello all allow me to regale you with my tale of Jetta woes if you do not mind. I'll get right into it I my 2006 Jetta TDI with roughly 160,000 miles is barely running after I replaced the timing belt. Stumped with this one any advice will be much appreciated.

I'll just say I've done this job before with the same diesel geeks timing belt kit and the car ran fine with no issues for 6 years. As for the install the crank and cam were timed with the metal nerds tools everything lined up, installed the tensioner tab in the hole and tightened it clockwise till the arrow was centered. Overall nothing during the install was a cause for concern, turned the engine over twice it was good. Started the engine idled fine, took the car out for a test drive first 5 minutes went smooth got on the main road put in 3rd gear accelerated then "bang" followed by loss of power....... damn.

Immediately thought the worse, belt jumped a tooth interference engine valves crashing into pistons. The car did not stall however it seemed somewhat normalish at lower rpms but when I accelerated usually over 1500 rpm the bucking would occur. No check engine or anything like that were thrown. Limped back home inspected the timing belt it didn't jump at all. Belt and cam were still in sync verified with the metal timing locking tools. Only thing worthy to note was the tensioner arrow was no longer centered it moved to the right slightly.

Thought well the car ran fine with the old belt so threw that on went for a test drive same story first few minutes ok then progressively worse where the car hardly runs. At this point I'm convinced I must have smacked a valve or something so removed the head and cam to look but too my surprise no damage at all! Aside from 3 lifters starting to grove everything looks fine.

I really think the car is worth saving at this point I'm just going to pull the engine I'm half way there anyways. I'll clean it back up and throw it back in the car. I'm glad there is no internal damage still scratching my head trying to figure out whats going on here. Hard to believe its not related to the timing belt job and not something else totally random. At this point suspecting tensioner related.

I have genuine sympathy for anyone who works on these engines for a living, unreal how impossible some of these bolts are to get at

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Daughters car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
A bang/pop after running fine and still idles after the bang sounds like a boost hose cam loose. Did you inspect all the boost hoses? Behind the wheel well to the turbo and on top to the egr?

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
OMG I feel like such a knob. Yes I did notice the air hose that goes to the egr valve was popped off. The black pipe on the goes right to the left of the timing cover. This is quite embarrassing if I tore up my engine apart for a loose air hose. In any case any suggestions on what I should replace considering half the engine is torn apart? Think I’ll do a egr delete that thing leaks like crazy. Thanks so much.

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well in hindsight maybe it wasn't such a bad call to pull the head after all. While tilting the head over this mystery round mangled piece of flat metal fell out that I cannot explain. Any of you guys ever seen anything like this or know where it came from? My guess is a left over chunk of lifter from when the cam was replaced, the wear and indentations from bouncing around in there for god knows how long? According to the previous owner the original cam was replaced at some point. Aside from 3 of the lifters starting to slightly dish the head and block appear to be ok. Still can see cross hatching on cylinder walls. Found it a lot easier to disconnect the turbo oil feed tube from the front of the engine rather than mess with it up at the turbo.

Last edited:

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
A bang/pop after running fine and still idles after the bang sounds like a boost hose cam loose. Did you inspect all the boost hoses? Behind the wheel well to the turbo and on top to the egr?
Nailed it, car is running great now. I removed a head and the car was down for a week because of a loose boost pipe, derp. What did I learn from all this?

-Don't tear your car's engine apart unless your damn sure you diagnosed the problem
-VW engineers are cruel yet impressive at the same time how they can fit everything in such a tight space
-Don't waste $200 for VW OEM rocker and cam cap bolts, get 12.9 grade socket cap bolts for $10
-Surprising amount of carbon build up in EGR valve, Intake manifold and cylinder head runners after 160,000 miles
-Exhaust bolts like to snap
-previous mechanic left a chunk of lifter from previous cam swap in the head
-BRM PD engines like to eat cams

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Daughters car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Happens to all of us. Glad you’re back up and running.