Bosch vs Mahle Oil Filter Comparison

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
I just discovered that *significant* differences exist between the Mahle and Bosch A4 / B5.5 oil filters. The last time I purchased an OEM filter from a dealer it was made by Bosch. I don't know if these physical differences translate in performance differences, but here's what I observed:

Number of Pleats
Mahle = 65, Bosch = 50

Surface Area
Length: Mahle Media is ~10" longer (filters cut open, stretched straight and measured end-to-end)
Height: Mahle Media is ~1/2" taller

Media Composition
Bosch: thicker, fibrous material
Mahle: paper-like, translucent

PartsGeek sells Bosch ($5.25) and Mahle ($4.25) Oil Filters for A4 and B5.5 TDIs LINK

Mahle Image:

Bosch Image:

[NOTE: The images that follow are of an OEM Bosch filter after ~5500 miles of use in my Golf 1.9L PD TDI and a Mahle filter after ~800 miles of use in my Passat 2.0L PD TDI.]

Mahle:

Bosch:

Height Difference:

Thickness Difference:

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Only real way to tell which is better is do a single pass test and do a particle count. Wouldn't be to hard to setup.

Greg

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
TDICADDGUY said:
Ever tried a Mann filter?
Yes. Bosch, Meyle, Mann, are/were/still considered the OEM oil filter products made for the 30,000 miles service life specifications! As such, I did/would/continue to buy on price. This is unless of course, the tests showed statistically distinct advantages .

I am still working on a "MANN" 10 pkg, purchased in 2003 ( shipping included @ 39.50?), when the 03 TDI was new. Since I really have nothing other than the above paragraph to compare it with,.... so far so good. @ 115,000 miles.

Last edited: