Bosch diesel technology papers by Jurgen Hammar

bluey

TDI
Skoda Yeti 2.0L 103kW CR TDI (CFHC) [MY09 Polo TDI 1.9 74kW (AXR) retired with hail damage]
Found these Bosch documents by Jurgen Hammar on diesel technology for passenger cars (PC) and light duty vehicles (LDV). Interesting reading.

Advanced Fuel Injection Equipment - Technology serving Future Diesel Powertrains

Shows product strategy for diesel injection systems, with emphasis on emissions and common rail pump generations. Note the CP4i is designed to be engine lubricatesd rather than fuel lubricated. While we suspect this is designed to reduce HPFP failures caused by low lubricity fuel, it also helps pump efficiency and eliminates the need for a return line.

Aspects on Injection Pressure for Diesel and Gasoline DI Engines

Describes how higher pressure at lower flow rate can provide net improvements in combustion process, and that this will continue to rise over time- planning for 3000bar by 2020. Still there is a tradeoff between power, emissions and noise. Oil lubricated high pressure fuel pump reduces pump power consumption 200-300W.

Advanced Diesel Fuel Injection Equipment – A never ending BOSCH story

Describes DRS digital rate shaping of injection pulse has particular benefits to noise prodiuction without changing the soot/NOX ratio.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
When will we see this new HPFP in VW TDIs?

Hoping they don't stop selling TDIs in the USA.

bluey

TDI
Skoda Yeti 2.0L 103kW CR TDI (CFHC) [MY09 Polo TDI 1.9 74kW (AXR) retired with hail damage]
Found this photo on a Bosch forum.

Looks different to the CP4.

I'm guessing that the CP4i will be fitted to the next generation of engine after EA288. It looks like it will require reengineering of the engine design. Looks like a redesign of the pump would be required to permit a retrofit in USA if that ends up being required after the NHTSA investigation. Probably unlikely, as the newer version of CP4 claims better longevity.

Kubla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi Q5
this whole thing makes me glad the 2015 golf I just bought 4 months ago has the 1.8 TSI engine instead of a TDI

and I just confirmed that it gets just over 40 MPG on the highway at 75 mph

will I get banned now?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
this whole thing makes me glad the 2015 golf I just bought 4 months ago has the 1.8 TSI engine instead of a TDI

will I get banned now?
Fair warning to make sure that you are aware of the common problems that happen with tsi engines. Some of which make the tdi look like a saint. Carbon build up, rear main seal blowing from the pcv malfunctioning, hpfp cam follower warning out & turbo charger blowing are the big ones to watch out for.

Kubla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi Q5
it is leased, if I reads that the problems are happening big time it will go back at the end of the lease, wanted the 2 door which was not available with the TDI

RBTDI

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL, Night Blue / Titan Black
will I get banned now?
Of course you won't get banned, as long as you continue making your $500.00/quarter payment for non-TDI members.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
The camshaft tech isn't novel. The problem is easily resolvable.
The Tdi issue is not easily resolvable. 09-16 owners, I suspect, will end up having their cars completely re-engineered to include Urea injection.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
The camshaft tech isn't novel. The problem is easily resolvable.
The Tdi issue is not easily resolvable. 09-16 owners, I suspect, will end up having their cars completely re-engineered to include Urea injection.
Both of mine already have urea injection, ad blue system. Most probably a software ecu upgrade to use more ad blue for better emissions will fix the problem. 09-14 will probably need hardware re-engineering adding urea based solution.

Chevrolet Cruze turbo diesel has similar ecu mgmt and fuel delivery/emission system made by Bosch that 2015 onward VW TDI's have, but Chevrolet seems to be ok with EPA standards, just doesn't make sense. And Chevrolet has more torque than VW, fuel economy numbers are not that off either. So in my opinion the urea based models should be straight forward to fix.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Yep, the only thing with the AdBlue equipped cars is the time it will take to prove to EPA/CARB that the fix works. Knowing those two agencies, I can see that taking many months. I would guess that they already have firmware that resolves these cars. Now it's just convincing the authorities it works.

I expect the change for our cars will increase the urea consumption 2-3x. If that's all it takes, MPG should remain identical to what we get now. If additional tweaks to the fuel mapping is necessary, then we may see some small drop.

Geist296

TDI
2015 GSW SEL DSG White with Quartz/Black interior
Chevrolet Cruze turbo diesel has similar ecu mgmt and fuel delivery/emission system made by Bosch that 2015 onward VW TDI's have, but Chevrolet seems to be ok with EPA standards, just doesn't make sense. And Chevrolet has more torque than VW, fuel economy numbers are not that off either. So in my opinion the urea based models should be straight forward to fix.

Why the problem with VW? Let's look, August they became the LARGEST auto manufacturer in the world...and Junk I mean garbage wait no chevy diesel, even though chevy now is as american as all the refugees that want asylum

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Yep, the only thing with the AdBlue equipped cars is the time it will take to prove to EPA/CARB that the fix works. Knowing those two agencies, I can see that taking many months. I would guess that they already have firmware that resolves these cars. Now it's just convincing the authorities it works...<snip>
I can not think of a single reason the EPA/CARB should be in any rush to expedite the approval process for VW. CARB/EPA need to do their jobs. If the timeline doesn't suit VW or VW customers like me - too bad.

VW did not just fool the regulators. They totally lied and cheated. They, VW, lost all credibility. VW has to earn it back, starting from ZERO. They need to PROVE everything and anything.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Oh, I want it done right, and not rushed. However, I work in the federal government, and sometimes it's quite annoying how long it takes to accomplish something that really shouldn't take very long.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Oh, I want it done right, and not rushed. However, I work in the federal government, and sometimes it's quite annoying how long it takes to accomplish something that really shouldn't take very long.
My guess is that it is only 60 days of testing 24/7 on a treadmill (or dynamometer), but it is fully 6 months of bureaucratic processing (getting full staffing in any large corporation or government office is tough from mid November to mid January).

Granted that VW deserves closer scrutiny than ever before, but the big question is, who really scrutinizes the EPA???????

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Why the problem with VW? Let's look, August they became the LARGEST auto manufacturer in the world...and Junk I mean garbage wait no chevy diesel, even though chevy now is as american as all the refugees that want asylum
A very nice explanation of the difference between Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 Opel based Turbo Diesel power plant and VW 2.0 TDI power plant:Worth a read

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/09/tech-dive-chevy-cruze-stays-clean/

Disclaimer: I have no political/emotional or brand based biasness/affiliation to any corporation. I do however am a diesel technology enthusiast.