Bosch alternator rebuilding how-to

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I did a thread like this for Valeo alternators and Bosch starters. I just finished rebuilding a Bosch alternator, and took a lot of photos. If you have a Valeo, it's a little different. You can find that thread HERE

Here it goes!

Start with the before photos. This one was a previous O'Reilly's reman, and did still work when I removed it from a 2003 Jetta I parted out.

Step one: remove the two nuts on the back. One is the positive terminal, the other one helps hold the cover on.

Step two: remove the one Phillips head screw from the cover.

Step three remove the regulator and the rest of the rectifier screws (note: if you're not replacing the rectifier you don't need to remove the rectifier screws)

Then pull the regulator out. Most of the ones I've done look similar to this, with the grooved slip rings and worn brushes.

Step 5: (optional, for if you're replacing rectifier) unsolder the rectifier joints. OEM ones weren't soldered, they were hot crimped and can be removed with a screwdriver and carefully prying the two wires apart. Carefully pry the rectifier off.

Step 6: remove the four through bolts and tap the two halves apart (if not replacing rectifier, the stator will come off with the rear housing)

Step 7: remove the pulley. You'll need the clutch pulley tool to remove it. Then gently press the rotor out of the middle on the housing. I use a hydraulic press, though hitting it on a block of wood or lead can be another way to get the rotor out.

Step 8: remove the four screws holding the front bearing holder in place and tap the bearing out.

At this point, here's what my alternator looks like:

Next post will have info on removing the slip rings.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Subscribed ............. I have several 120 amp Bosch laying around that need rebuilt...

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Here's the rotor with a bad slip ring

Step one for slip ring replacement is to pull the bearing out. I use a tool O'Reilly's sells for removing power steering pump pulleys. There's a special tool for it, but at $800 I haven't gotten one yet.

Next is to carefully heat the leads on the alternator at the slip ring. They're soldered on there. I use a resistance soldering setup, which is the best. Then using a pair of pliers, I carefully break the old slip ring up and remove it.

That's as far as I have right now, I couldn't find any slip rings, and all my suppliers are back ordered. I did end up finding one, but by that time I had got a new rotor. Eventually I plan to offer rebuilt rotors that'll require a core, but that'll be after my supplier has stock again.

Here's comparison between the old one and the new one.

I put everything into the parts washer and cleaned it up.

Then I started reassembly with new parts.
New front bearing:

New rear bearing:

New bearing tolerance ring in the rear housing: (if you didn't notice, I cleaned the front and rear housings nice, and painted the stator with insulating paint)

If you didn't notice, the rotor is in the front housing, now insert the stator in the rear housing (it would be already assembled if you chose not to replace the rectifier) Be sure that the stator wires are sticking through the corresponding holes in the housing.

Next post now...

Mozambiquer

TDI
Place the two halves together and push them together, then install the through bolts. Tighten in a diagonal pattern until the housings touch together and the bolts are tight.

(Be careful not to break the bolts!)

Clean the posts where the regulator sits and install the rectifier being careful to make sure the stator wires fit in correctly and don't touch the housing anywhere. Install the two end screws for the rectifier (the middle one waits until you put the cover on) then crimp and solder the rectifier terminals to the stator wires.

Now, install the genuine Bosch regulator. I don't recommend the aftermarket ones, though some are decent and will work well, I prefer oem. There are three screws for the regulator, tighten them down well.

Now, on the other side, there's the washer that goes on the shaft. Use a pipe or long socket to push it on, and install a new oem clutch pulley.

On the back side, install the cover and last rectifier screw and test to verify the alternator works.

Now here's the finished product!

I keep a lot of the parts for these in stock and like to think my prices are fair. You can look on my signature, ice got a link there to my sales thread.

I also sell the rebuilt alternators or brand new oem ones.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Nice! How do you determine if you should replace the rectifier?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Nice! How do you determine if you should replace the rectifier?
Test the diodes with a multimeter. If they're aftermarket like this one had, being as it was an O'Reilly's reman, i replace it as a matter of course.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB