Bosal euro detachable hitch install... PICS

nickgiordano

TDI
none so far
wfg97079 said:
So when is the square tube receiver and harness available? and where? :)
TDI parts is the only direct distributer for VW hitches in the USA, they have invested a fair amount of $ in stock and should rightfully get this buisness. I will keep you guys updated.

wfg97079

Veteran Member
TDI
for the first time in 17 years, none
cool

Plan on getting the hitch from them anyway
nickgiordano said:
TDI parts is the only direct distributer for VW hitches in the USA, they have invested a fair amount of $ in stock and should rightfully get this buisness. I will keep you guys updated.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
I'll probably get one too. 2" receiver for my bike rack would be nice, but if not at least I can use my trailer.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
Are the mounting blocks that the swan neck actualy fits in, that bolt between the welded on flats, avalible as seperate purchase?

I am wondering if i damaged mine on install due to a miss read of torqe value because when i insert the swan neck, it rattels around a bit and the books says there should be no ratteling?

I haven't contacted tdiparts yet as it has been low on my list right now. Still looking into trailer wireing too.

Thanks and i would also still probalby purchese a square recivere as an addition to the regular hitch assuuming it will fit my existing bar.

nickgiordano

TDI
none so far
FL2AK-tdi said:
Yeah, whatever happened to the manufactured square receiver assembly that was supposed to become available?
they work at the pace of a snail?:p
Seriously, the recession has really hampered some of it I suppose, but I hope (and if you guys call) it will get done.
Sorry for takin so long on replying(i was busy!, JK)
If you have any questions email me ngiordano@bosalusa.com
or call me and I will get the answers asap (or get Mike (project manager)for you)

nickgiordano

TDI
none so far
alhutch said:
Nick,

I've got one of these hitches and the square receiver and plug-n-play wiring would be must haves for me!

Thanks.

Al
they did actually make some(the new volvo's are using it already), we are in need of some kind of number to make, they need to test it. I was speaking with the other guy today again about it and we both agreed that it was a no brainer, but we need to give the factory a hard number to be made. I suggested that they also make the square receiver as an update to existing euro hitches (for the guys who have them already)
I can only do so much..I need guys to call and tell them they need this made....

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
nickgiordano said:
they did actually make some(the new volvo's are using it already), we are in need of some kind of number to make, they need to test it. I was speaking with the other guy today again about it and we both agreed that it was a no brainer, but we need to give the factory a hard number to be made. I suggested that they also make the square receiver as an update to existing euro hitches (for the guys who have them already)
I can only do so much..I need guys to call and tell them they need this made....
OK, I'll be happy to call. Who and where (number)? Thanks for your help and posts here, it is appreciated.

Last edited:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
nickgiordano said:
800-631-7271 ext 227 is the best number(this is the program manager Mike)
Any word on an OEM style wiring harness? Something that will plug in and integrate with the cars lights like the EURO versions have?

Richy_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I'd be happy to prepay for one [square hitch]. Heck, give me a discount and they can have pics taken too (though my car is not that pretty but photoshop is a wonderful thing.).

tomcat688

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hi All,

has any mounted one of these to a 2003 Jetta TDI wagon with the large bumpers ?

If so, what was required to make it fit ? The TDI parts website says that the one they have may be a tight fit, but doesn't show any pics.

Also, for any interested, here is a link to the Bosal UK site with the part numbers for the hitches that fit MKIVs and the different towbar options.

http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/tow_select_order_list.php?query_nr=20&carspecnr=900077

Thanks in advance!!!

TC

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
I would like to bring this back up anyone ever solve the wiring issues in a proffesional manner?

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I bought a converter box (Hopkins) and soldered connectors on that would fit the pins on the back side of the taillights where the OE plugs would go. I cant remember off hand which pin is which, we just used a meter to trace them. The right side has to run across the trunk. i took the trim off around the hatch frame and ran the wire along with the other wires. you cant even tell i did anything to the car.
If you get a protected converter, you can get power from the back side of the 12v plug in run the wire with your right turn sig wire.
I ran the trailer plug out through the gromet that has the license plate light wires coming out of it on the drivers side.
It is as proffesional as you can get without OE Plugs.
I hope this helps

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I bought a converter box (Hopkins) and soldered connectors on that would fit the pins on the back side of the taillights where the OE plugs would go. I cant remember off hand which pin is which, we just used a meter to trace them. The right side has to run across the trunk. i took the trim off around the hatch frame and ran the wire along with the other wires. you cant even tell i did anything to the car.
If you get a protected converter, you can get power from the back side of the 12v plug in run the wire with your right turn sig wire.
I ran the trailer plug out through the gromet that has the license plate light wires coming out of it on the drivers side.
It is as proffesional as you can get without OE Plugs.
I hope this helps
Those connections are labeled:

Ground: 31
Turn Signal: BL (Blinkleuchten) or S (Schlusslechten) (depends on which bulb position used; the other position is then used for the Tail Light)
Brake light: (Bremslicht)
Backup/Rear Fog light: RF (Rückfahrscheinwerfer) or NES (Nebelschlussleuchte) (depends on which bulb position used; rear fog is on outside position of the driver's side only)

Edit: I found the Fachwörterbuch (Technical Dictionary) I picked up at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1987 so I corrected some of the names.

Last edited:

gallaj01

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI GLS, 2001 Jetta TDI GLS, 2017 Golf AllTrack
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Bosal/BSL043964.html

ahem...
us style box hitch is coming. this one above is a little different and is not compatable but it is similar to the euro ones.
The whole line is rolling out for like 25 applications this summer. They are working pretty hard on it
Nick, do you know when this summer the hitch line will be released in NA? Will there also be a trailer wiring kits similar to the one found on the UK site? I would definitely purchase a wiring kit for an AK-11 model.

windhys

TDI
Golf
Is this hitch still obtainable anywhere? Really like the look of this hidden one

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
My former Passat was just traded and I removed the westfalia euro hitch to sell it. I am located in the Vancouver Canada area. Shipping could be significant. PM me and let’s talk on email.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
My former Passat was just traded and I removed the westfalia euro hitch to sell it. I am located in the Vancouver Canada area. Shipping could be significant. PM me and let’s talk on email.

So I realize now that this was posted in the generic upgrades and not the B5.5 forum so I want to make it clear than this is indeed available in the Vancouver area. I have a euro Thule ball mount bike rake that goes with it and the westfalia hitch is slightly more elegant that boast and this hitch is designed for a PASSAT B5.5 FWD.

PM for more info

best,
D