Bosal euro detachable hitch install... PICS

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
robinhood said:
Would anyone be willing to take some measurements of the euro hitch for me?

I am looking to have one fabricated.

I second the motion. If someone would send me measurements I'm looking to weld up one for myself. Thanks in advance.

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta silver arrow GLS TDI
Getriebe Guy said:
I second the motion. If someone would send me measurements I'm looking to weld up one for myself. Thanks in advance.
i third that motion... any chance to get a few made up instead of just one?

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Would somebody please post measurements of the Bosal hitch so we can knock it off and make our own crappier version of it???

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
You don't think you're maybe asking a bit much there? People paying $500 for a setup and you wanna knock it of?...

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Yes I suppose it is a bit much to ask though if I had bought one I would do it. The pics are great it looks relatively makeable even without dimensions.

nickgiordano

TDI
none so far
It would be of interest to you guys to know that Bosal IS importing these to the USA now (we just got the first samples)and will be looking for possible test fit cars...
The guy to speak to is Mike Yatkowitz. myatkowitz@bosalusa.com
Nick

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
Getriebe Guy said:
Would somebody please post measurements of the Bosal hitch so we can knock it off and make our own crappier version of it???
Hi. I'm sorry I haven't replied to this until now. I think it's a good idea to measure and copy it. Unfortunately, mine is installed and my measurements would not be reliable.

If someone who is technically competent enough to take appropriate measurements would like to measure my hitch, I welcome him. Please PM me.

It is good news that someone will import them. I think they are a fine product.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
Here is a Bosal Hitch with a square receiver welded on in place of the swan neck. It gives me the option of different draw bar configurations, bike rack, cargo shelf, etc.

Last edited:

nickgiordano

TDI
none so far
JoeBleed said:
any idea why there does not apear to be a valid www.bosalusa.com website?
The US site is www.bosalna.com (it is the North american site really)
There is no information on the site about towbars, they are a new program that we are just starting in the USA. However I do suggest you email or call Mike Yatkowitz, as he is the guy that will ultimatly be setting the program up. He can be reached at 800-631-7271 ext 227 or Myatkowitz@bosalusa.com
Also, be aware that Bosal owns Oris now as well, so the products that Oris makes are possibly available from us as well. If there is sufficent interest, buying direct is a very good possibility.
Nick

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
I emailed that address 2 days ago and have had no response. No bounce, either.

I'd planned to make a swan-to-1" or swan-to-2" adaptor for rack and shelf purposes.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
It just seems a bit odd to me that they would essentualy have two sites. While north america doesn't just mean USA, they have a seperate e-mail domain for USA. While entirely possible, it makes me suspsios. All the contact info on the domain regestration is identical except the dns serevrs.

I hope it is legitamet, i would love to get one localy vrs having to order and pay for shipping overseas. I may give that phone number a call this evening or tommorow.

nickgiordano

TDI
none so far
JoeBleed said:
It just seems a bit odd to me that they would essentualy have two sites. While north america doesn't just mean USA, they have a seperate e-mail domain for USA. While entirely possible, it makes me suspsios. All the contact info on the domain regestration is identical except the dns serevrs.

I hope it is legitamet, I would love to get one localy vrs having to order and pay for shipping overseas. I may give that phone number a call this evening or tommorow.
Well, I don't know how to answer that really. But I will try, We are here M-F 8:30 am to 5 pm est time.
The emails are broken (as many companies do) into branch/divisional units. We operate in North America as a whole, the Canadian, Mexican and OEM divisions have designated email ID to differntiate the division the person works for. I don't work in IT, so I don't know much else about the specifics on the servers. However if you go to www.bosal.com , you will see the appropriate links to eithe www.bosalna.com or www.bosalnafta.com (this is the older web address)
The company did not feel that there was a market here for tow bars (and roof racks and industrial racking btw). It took a long time to get this to change.
Give me a call 800-631-7271 ext 224
Nick Giordano
Sales
Bosal USA

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta silver arrow GLS TDI
emailed mike hopefully we can see these here soon for a little less than the methods of getting the now.

thanks
thomas

BrianM

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS 5-speed, Loaded
That's a legit email for Mike.... he just hates email (or so he said on several of the phone calls I'd made with him), so it may take a bit of time to reply. It also may take a bit of time if there are Lots of new emails coming in. I'm Certain that answering emails is far from the only thing he does in a day too.... people get busy with "stuff" sometimes. So give it a little time.

When Mike does reply, he's Very good to deal with. I have absolutly nothing bad to say about my conversations or dealings with him (and thus Bosal NA/USA). Please have patience though, it's been about 5 months since I first made contact with him and my hitch arrived today. The process should be MUCH faster from this point on though (lot of initial leg work to be done that doesn't need to be repeated).

BrianM

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS 5-speed, Loaded
Alright, I just installed the hitch (3 hours, but I had dinner and some company in there too). The version I received is a Touch different from the above.

The 2 most notable are that the "receiver" for the swan neck is now a bolt-on item (the above looks welded), and there are 2 sets of threaded holes for which to bolt to the vehicle:

I used the set of holes that pushes the bar back the furtherst and will need to switch them when I get a chance. So, for Future installers, make sure you push the bar all the way in or else you'll be trimming the Back of the lower valence where everything is plainly visible.

A smaller change is the one hole for a safety chain, it's no longer a long slot as above, but now just a single small hole. I'll likely put a screw carabiner (only the chep kind found in parts stores) through that hole and the OEM tow ring to use as points for a safety chain.

Otherwise I followed the instructions at the top of this post (thanks!). I'd wished there were a couple better pics, so I grabbed them. When you're bolting the bar to the frame, there are square patches that peel off nicely where the bolts go. I just grabbed them with a needle-nose pliers and pulled them off:

And here's a rear and side shot of the hitch installed (keep in mind I need to push it in about an inch still):

I'm Certainly not worried about it dragging in the up position.

And the tools used:

3/8 and 1/4 ratchets
25 and 30 Torx sockets
8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 17mm and 19mm sockets
extensions and a wobble (handy for removing the OEM 5mph bumper)
8mm, 17mm and 19mm combination wrenches
needle nose pliers
utility knife
blue loctite (I use this on Everything I take apart)
light source (it got dark on me.. :/ )

It really couldn't be much simpler of a job.

I'll get to the electrics when I have time/good weather, but it'll be a brake controler for trailer brakes.

nickgiordano

TDI
none so far
that is the same ghitch that is sitting on the floor next to me. did you get the tool kit, gloves and bag?

BrianM

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS 5-speed, Loaded
nickgiordano said:
that is the same ghitch that is sitting on the floor next to me. did you get the tool kit, gloves and bag?
There were no "tools" included, but the bag that had gloves and the "owners manual" (heh, I thought that was funny... but maybe some people will need to read about how it works) was/is there. Still sitting on my garage floor unless my wife moved it.

And I hope it's the same hitch, I'm the one who's been working with Mike for the last 5~6 months on getting these things brought over. He'd mentioned there were 2 "samples" in the first trial run.

It's supposed to snow here this evening, otherwise I'd pull the bumper skin again (oh, so people don't have to go digging, here's a link to a VWVortex howto on that part: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1939276) and fit it correctly. That'll have to wait awhile though.

I'm impressed with the quality, fit, and what little function I've put it through.

nickgiordano

TDI
none so far
Ha, I have probably spoken with you about them too! Bosal did not think that the market was there, I told them! glad to see it may work out!

BrianM

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS 5-speed, Loaded
Okay, so I got some good weather to fuss with the hitch again, and it Definatally fits better when pushed all the way in.

Use the bolt points indicated for the best fit. If you use the Other bolt points, you'll get the result I pictured above, where the unit will push out on the lower valance (doesn't look clean to me).

So I moved the whole hitch in and these are the fit results:

You can see in the above photo that I left a small strip of the valance in place towards the front of the car. On mine, there was an Obvious relief on the inside of where the cutout should be, so I just cut that portion. Then when it didn't fit right with the previous install, I trimmed the trailing edge more ~ so the hole is actually bigger than what it ought to be by about 1/2". Done right, it'll be a nice, snug fit... but it'll look "right" too.

No electrics installed yet, though there's a handy plug on the drivers side under the bumper skin that'll protect the wiring and gives handy access. I'm on a budget, and want a setup with trailer brakes, so that'll come in the spring sometime.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
BrianM said:

No electrics installed yet, though there's a handy plug on the drivers side under the bumper skin that'll protect the wiring and gives handy access. I'm on a budget, and want a setup with trailer brakes, so that'll come in the spring sometime.

Is Bosal going to bring in a US light harness like the Euro ones? (completely integrates with the cars electrics ea: disables the fog lamp when plugged in; lights up the instrument panel indicator when trailer plugged in; diables the PDC if installed).

I have a DIN 13 pin euro harness that mates perfectly with the car harness, (that I would have to modify or find an adapter for), but would really like to have a 7 pin US plug with the same capabilities.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
Occams_Razor said:
Is Bosal going to bring in a US light harness like the Euro ones?<...>
I have a DIN 13 pin euro harness that mates perfectly with the car harness,
In case the answer is "no", where did you get that and about how much was it?

With a couple diodes for the turn signals/brakes and a $10 7 pin socket it would probably be very easy to do something very near OEM.

Depending on the vendor there may be some chance of a bulk discount?

nickgiordano

TDI
none so far
the best way to make that happen is to call or email mike, he would like the feedback. I suspect that the euro wiring and the USA wiring would be the same or almost the same.
Looks really nice Brian, good job on the install!

Last edited:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
mr.mindless said:
In case the answer is "no", where did you get that and about how much was it?

With a couple diodes for the turn signals/brakes and a $10 7 pin socket it would probably be very easy to do something very near OEM.

Depending on the vendor there may be some chance of a bulk discount?
Being a stickler for Euro OEM parts has its price. The wiring kit, (which is separate from the actual tow bar), cost me $94.00, (earlier this year before the dollar crashed against the Euro). The wiring harness is ultra complete and has its own little electronics box; factory harness adapter plugs and fits in the factory rubber grommets. It also integrates with the CAN-BUS for diagnostic purposes.

Just as a reference the complete VW original OTIS towbar cost me $233.00, (again before the dollars crashed).

If Borsal doesn't have, (nor will offer an electrical harness), I would be really interested if someone could figure out an adapter circuit from the EURO socket to a USA trailer plug, (I have all the pin outs but don't have the time to sit down and learn all the electronics involved).

I have found DIN 7 to DIN 13 adapter, (back and forth), and even a DIN 7 to USA 4 pin, (Land Rover used to include it with their towing package), but no luck finding a DIN 13 to USA 7 Pin adapter. :(

acmercg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Brian, glad to see some more recent pics of this install. I have actually been on the phone with Mike from Bosal a couple times last week and hesitated on buying the hitch setup because what he described to me is not what Kennedy installed in the original post. I now see the diffrence in the hitch, but I still have a question, how does the swan neck attach to those two flat plates? In kennedy's posts, he showed a vertical reciever style hitch, not unlike the Dodge charger/300M/wagon thing style where the reciever is completly hidden from view when detached. This setup is different. do you have any pics of the Neck installed? How easy is the attaching/detaching of the neck?

Thanks,

Joe
Lost in CT