Boraparts.com 02J 5 -> 6 speed Conversion Kits!

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Ordering information here.

Well folks, this kit has been a work in progress since 2005. Yes, 2005. Finally, after...well...a lot of things, we are ready to post this up. We will have pricing very soon. This is a complete bolt on kit to turn your 02J 5-speed transmission into a 6-speed. You will therefore retain your original clutch, starter, axles, mounts, shift box/linkage, etc... Everything needed to do the swap will be included in this kit. There will be different price levels depending on what you want to do.

Kits will be offered with a .658, .622 and (probably) .586 6th gear. Once you start going taller than a .586 gear strength becomes an issue. We will have options for taller ring and pinions, and probably eventually we'll have a custom R&P that can be installed.

The plan is to start with the 02J, but as interest grows for other kits we will expand. This is not limited to the TDI either, this kit will also work for the gassers. We will update this thread with information as it becomes available.

Meanwhile, here is a pic of our first working unit. :)

Last edited:

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Congrats! My Smyth build will eventually need some of those crazy tall gears. I'm not going to be happy unless 5000rpm in 6th gear = 170mph. ;)

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
So I am assuming that if someone were to go with the .586 that you would want to have something like a .681 or .658 5th gear then? Would this be part of the package as that would be a huge bump from one gear to the next?

What would someone who spends 75% at 65mph, 20% at 75mph and the rest in town want in order to be able to still drive it comfortably? I would think .681 5th and .658 6th.

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Thanks guys! I've been chomping at the bit for years, but I'm glad to finally have these up for everyone to start planning for!

So I am assuming that if someone were to go with the .586 that you would want to have something like a .681 or .658 5th gear then? Would this be part of the package as that would be a huge bump from one gear to the next?

What would someone who spends 75% at 65mph, 20% at 75mph and the rest in town want in order to be able to still drive it comfortably? I would think .681 5th and .658 6th.
I'll be working on charts, but if one were to go the least expensive route they'd keep their stock 5th gear and get a .622 or .586 (that ratio is not set in stone) 6th gear. That would put them at roughly (very roughly!) 75 MPH at 2,000 RPM. Also the drop from 5th to 6th would be similar to the drop from 4th to 5th, so it'd not be an overly crazy ratio to deal with. This goes in line with our idea in making the 6th gear a true overdrive gear. Obviously the more you change from your current setup the higher the cost will be.

Another option is if you're someone who tows and wants the ability to cruise in 5th we could do a gasser stock 5th gear and add a .681 6th gear for when they are not towing. There are plenty of possibilities!

-BB

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Lots of questions (some already asked). Will an 02J LSD and CTN R&P still work in this setup? Will any strengthening or oiling mods be offered? How much torque will it be able to handle? And most importantly, how much will it cost?

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I'll be working on charts, but if one were to go the least expensive route they'd keep their stock 5th gear and get a .622 or .586 (that ratio is not set in stone) 6th gear. That would put them at roughly (very roughly!) 75 MPH at 2,000 RPM. Also the drop from 5th to 6th would be similar to the drop from 4th to 5th, so it'd not be an overly crazy ratio to deal with. This goes in line with our idea in making the 6th gear a true overdrive gear. Obviously the more you change from your current setup the higher the cost will be.

-BB
That sounds like a great idea! Would a WaveTrac fit, also?

df

drklawz

TDI
2002 Golf HB, 4dr
i think i love you

subscribing to this one! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, we need a viable, affordable option.

I'd talked with you before about the .658 for cruising in the mountain states... sounds like i should hold off on that and wait...patiently wait.

ALH w/ 02J gets goosed!:cool:

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
interested. Keeping the current gearing and adding another gear to cruise at 80 would be sweet. 2K at 75 is about perfect around here.
Please update with pricing and availability when you can.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
An ASD tranny code for the 5-speed 02J base would be an ideal base for a conversion to a 0.622 or 0.586 6th - the latter would yield 1578 RPM @ 62 MPH with OEM 15" tire size.

ASD====1st: 3.300 | 2nd: 1.944 | 3rd: 1.308 | 4th: 1.090 | 5th: 0.717 | R&P: 3.157 (Thanks, G60ing, but I think the 4th gear ratio is incorrect as it results in an RPM drop pattern that is not typically done by OEMs as shown below - could someone please verify with ETKA?)

Shift point gives engine RPM at 100 km/h (62 MPH) in top gear.

Here's what the shift curve would look like with a 0.917 4th (which I think is more correct since it looks more conventional) and 0.622 6th:

As above with 0.586 6th:

CTN with 0.622 6th:

As above with 3.389 R&P (A4 G/J/NB TDI with DQY code tranny):

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
After running the 6 speed ERF, I would say the perfect ratio to use with this mod would be the 0.622 gear. A match made in heaven.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Very interesting. I would opt for a .658 top gear with a regular 5th.

MrBigTruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle, 2000 GTI ALH swap, 2006 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI
Will it bolt on with the trans in the car? How easy will it be to undo and remove if/when I sell my car? Will it fit in a Beetle?

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Aaron at Bora has a nice little spot for it on the website Ear marked. No price, but it's looking official :)

BleachedBora

TDI
Q) April fools?

A) Obviously you don't know me too well. :p Just look at some of the cool stuff we have and that should answer your question. Alternatively the last couple seconds of this clip should sum it all up nicely.

I've been extremely busy preparing for TDIfest, consequently I don't live on the forums anymore, but still am around as much as possible.

Q) Will this work with my 3.16 RG and current Limited Slip?

A) Yes. Any part you have bought for an existing 5-speed will work with this kit. All we are doing is changing the end housing.

Q) Will this work with an 02A?

A) This kit will work with all 02J or 02A transmissions.

Q) So is there a south bend clutch avable (sic) for these? I'm looking for a newer trans and clutch for my car and just was wondering.

A) This kit will not make your existing 5-speed any stronger. That said it won't make it any weaker either.

Q) Will it bolt on with the trans in the car? How easy will it be to undo and remove if/when I sell my car? Will it fit in a Beetle?

A) No it will not - if you want to put it back to a 5-speed that can be done without dropping the transmission. And yes, all 02J transmissions will work, including Beetle. Also the Eurovan for what it's worth :).

Q) Cost?

A) We're not 100% sure on final cost right now. But we're looking at for a 6th gear conversion kit (which also includes a highly modified stock 5th gear (need your working old one back), detailed instructions, everything in the box except a mechanic. :) We're shooting for $1498 for the entire kit. That said that price might be + - ~$100 as we ramp up. It will be significantly less than a 6-speed conversion. Plus being able to use all your old equipment from LSD to clutch, axles, mounts, starter, etc... will be a big plus.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Aaron, is there enough room between the trans and the wheel well area on a B4 for this to fit? I can measure and check if you can tell me how far this addition sticks out from the trans case.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
That is a price I can do. Hopefully the instructions are simple enough that a shade tree mech can install. Although I would love to have a different diff as well added to mine but that isn't top priority. I can see this and a clutch sometime in the future.