Bora-Chiara's Jetta for sale

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA

I bought the 1998 Jetta in July of 2007 from a gentleman and his wife in San Diego. It spent all it's previous time in Montana as the wife's highschool/college car. The family is a diesel family and raised this car from it's roots correctly. Proper oil, Timing belts and all routine maintenance since it's birth. They gave me all the previous maintenance records. More good news, the 184000 miles it had on it was 85% freeway miles. Upgraded cluster has different miles listed than reality which is about 225000 miles on the car. Somebody with VAG-TACHO can change it but I havn't had time recently to do the switch.

When I got it, the usual stuff was done on it. Glow plugs, the harness with it, ignition switch, relay 109, heater core (right before I got it), front end seals, clutch, MAF.

It is a GLS model stock, with sunroof, alloy wheels and a nifty pinstripe down both sides
I'll break up what i've done to it in a few groups.

Routine Maintenance:
EDIT:-New front tires.
-New brake pads (Painted black calipers)
-ALL engine seals replaced
-Oil Pump
-Master Cylinder
-Power Steering Resivor
-Vacuum Line Replacement
-N75
-Glow Plug Monitoring Relay
-Coolant Temperature Sensor
-Vehicle Speed Sensor
-Cruise Control Switch
-Door Light Switches

Upgrades:
-VR6 Clutch 12k Miles ago
-PP764 Injectors
-Frostheater
-Pioneer Speakers
-Helix Projector Black Faced E-Codes
-White HID's
-20% Tint
-OEM Rubber Floormats
-Mufflerectomy @ 2.25" Catback
-Ventectomy
-Hydraulic Hood Lifts

MK4/GLX Cosmetic Upgrades
-GLX Smoked Tail Lights
-GLX Leather Door Panels
-GLX Rear Spoiler
-Smoked Side MK4 Style Blinkers
-MK5 "Diesel" Badges
-MK4 "Bora", "TDI", "GLX" Badges
-MK4 Instrument Cluster
-MK4 Radio Deck (IPOD adaptor included, SUB Pre-Out)
-MK4 Red Euroswitch
-MK4 Red Switches
-MK4 Flip-Style Key
-Custom "BORA" Door Sills
-Black A,B,C Pillar Trim
-LED Blinker, Brake Light Conversion <------Looks really slick!

Recently recharged A/C, lowered EGR value, extended GlowPlug time, clean intake. Diesel purge every fuel filter change, 505 spec oil changes every 10k miles, G12 Coolant. Old Poopie's "Delux" Timing belt kit supplied by BleachedBora installed 5k miles ago (includes waterpump w/upgraded gasket, harmonic dampener, accessory belt pulley, the works).

With injectors and upgraded clutch the car is ready for a chip tune if you want, but is a solid setup that has great power at any RPM, but awesome milage. I get city milage in the mid 40's and highway up to 56 on my 800 mile tanks. All my parts I get from BleachedBora and mk3's chip tune is a super easy pop-in style chip on the ECU, NO SOLDERING. BleachedBora will get a good tune for you if you want, he's worked with this car a lot and knows great setups and options for it, especially with what it's got already. MK3's are super easy to work on and have small perks that make them easier than MK4's. The lighter chassis than the MK4 helps with milage and even has a slightly larger trunk. NO WVO/SVO usage, ever. No rust at all. Completely clean title. Small dent above right rear wheel well, no paint crack or bubble.

The upgrades i've done to the Bora I feel are quality ones using mostly OEM parts and for the long lasting and quality European look. I don't do the chincy rice burner upgrades, making this thing look stock and taken care of under the hood has been the most important thing for me. Feel free to ask any questions regarding anything. I'd prefer keeping this car in the TDICLUB family. It's been great to me and will last many more years to come. I feel comfortable with an asking price of $6748 I can trust it with responsible people like TDICLUBers to take good care of what I have raised to be my child. Thanks for looking!

PM or email for any other details or interest. mclean.martel@gmail.com

EDIT: Door sills...

EDIT: Night shot of HID, but really difficult to capture on camera. With city light.

EDIT: MK4 smoked side blinker and badge

EDIT: 2 shots of interior, cluster picture gives it ZERO justice. It is in fact from a Cabrio and is perfect OEM LEDs

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Geesh,2 nice A3's in the past 2 weeks-Drivbiwire's and your A3.What kind of price you looking to get?Does it still have original turbo,or has it been replaced?The tint though would get me pulled over fast in NY......

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
That model was not even called BORA in Europe it was called VENTO but nice car.

Last edited:

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
Yeah I know it's Vento, but BB and I think it has style. DBW had a great car, I guess Boise turns out some decent A3's! Original turbo. I added in an edit, the car does have one small dent above the rear passenger tire, didnt crack or bubble the paint. Also has clean title. Asking price listed @ $6748.

EDIT: some new pictures of interior night and HID.

Last edited:

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I'd like to put my stamp of approval on "The Black Cloud"--it is one of the nicer A3s I've driven. Should give many years of service to a new owner.

And as the seller is a good friend, I'll throw in 10% off on all parts (that I make at least 10% on!) for purchases for this car for life. :)

Good luck!
-BB

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
Thanks Aaron for your endorsement. Aaron has been a big part of the advancement of my car. ALWAYS trustworthy, reliable and knowledgeable.

I am going on a trip which conveniently could turn into a tour:

July 1st: Today I am driving from Boise down thru Utah to St. George tonight,
July 2nd: and tomorrow through Las Vegas to the San Bernadino California area. If anyone nearby or on the way would like to see the Jetta we will arrange something. My cell number is 208/440-0550. I'd love to show it off to anyone interested or anyone who may just want to see it.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
Only a bit in my trip right now, stopped in Twin Falls Idaho. The Jetta now officially has two new front tires, 100% tred! This was due to an entertaining mid-driving blow-out! Yikes!

EDIT: original post, tires.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The car is actually a 1997 not a 1998...Look at the build date on the door plate I know I pointed this out to you when I last saw the car.

The give away is that the late model 1997 came with the older 1z engine. A true 1998 came with the AHU motor came with improved turbo (KKK not Garret), injection pump (17.5Kpsi vs 15Kpsi), injectors, and ECU.

Also you can tell the 1z by the lack of reinforcement ribs on the injection pump, the 1z uses a smooth cast, the AHU has external reinforcement rib sastings to withstand the higher injection pump pressures.

A lot of 1997 models were sold as 1998 models but there was in fact a distinguishing mechanical difference between the two model years.

DB

Last edited: