Boost problem

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
Also the power steering reservoir has been patch with something and is leaking. But after working on it today it starts right away use to crank 3-5 sec. Hooked up the catch can and the main breather broke the was up after I drove it and was driving great

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Not the smoke test and I dont have a way to apply pressure to the n75
If you hook directly from the vacuum pump to the turbo actuator, that would be similar. If it is reaching full boost sometimes, it probably doesn't have a leak, or much of one. Have you checked the turbo shaft for play? I understand it's not very old, but as we say here at the shop, new is an acronym for
Never Ever Worked.
I've seen even new parts be failed from the box, and a co-worker had a turbo built for his Volvo 850 (custom built turbo) and the new turbo failed in only a couple of weeks. It had so much shaft play it ate into the turbine housing. Now, that car was far from stock, but hopefully you get the idea.

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
Unless it's leaking, I don't think that would cause your problem. You'd maybe have a little bit more lag, but it wouldn't be randomly working and randomly not. It sounds more like sticking vanes or worn bearings. Have you checked the turbo for shaft play?
The actuator moves freely. agree on the lag. It holds and builds pressure. I have done most of your check list no smoke test and no way to apply pressure to n75.

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
If you hook directly from the vacuum pump to the turbo actuator, that would be similar. If it is reaching full boost sometimes, it probably doesn't have a leak, or much of one. Have you checked the turbo shaft for play? I understand it's not very old, but as we say here at the shop, new is an acronym for
Never Ever Worked.
I've seen even new parts be failed from the box, and a co-worker had a turbo built for his Volvo 850 (custom built turbo) and the new turbo failed in only a couple of weeks. It had so much shaft play it ate into the turbine housing. Now, that car was far from stock, but hopefully you get the idea.
I didn't notice there was another page thought it didn't post. So all this known think a tune would cure this? Make more pressure negative deviation shouldn't be a problem.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I didn't notice there was another page thought it didn't post. So all this known think a tune would cure this? Make more pressure negative deviation shouldn't be a problem.
I don't think a tune is what you need. My thought is most likely it's an issue with your turbo. One other possibility though. Is your egr still intact? A stuck egr valve could cause issues, but that still would not explain that it sometimes works and other times doesn't.

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
I don't think a tune is what you need. My thought is most likely it's an issue with your turbo. One other possibility though. Is your egr still intact? A stuck egr valve could cause issues, but that still would not explain that it sometimes works and other times doesn't.
Egr and asv delete. Had the intake off to install headers and turbo set up all clean and tight only vacuum line on now is brake of course and straight to the n75. Have the cold air intake cone filter new and line from the pipe to n75. the vacuum pump was leaking oil tightened it up stopped and built more vacuum. Might take it off clean it and or replace gaskets. Think the turbo turns off after x amount of time the ECU finds negative deviation?

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Negative deviation will cause limp-mode: Cuts boost to prevent possible damage from overspooling (In the event of boost leaks).

After reading through this post, I am of the opinion that the problem is the turbo. (And possibly a bad MAF due to fouling by cold-air-intake)

My car has a similar "cheap" ebay-type turbo (Installed by PO, claiming it to be OEM, ~12,000 miles ago)
I, too, have been chasing seemingly endless boost problems: negative deviation, massive lag, sudden spikes, limp-mode, etc.
Went through the gamut of tests, checks: vacuum lines, n75, intercooler piping... Found that I had an under-performing MAF. Replaced with a new Bosch unit.
Turbo seemed to act slightly better for a week, then completely gave out: barely able to maintain ~10psi boost at WOT, while whistling and gurgling.
The seals on the housing itself let go: Boost leaks from the compressor housing, spraying oil mist, exhaust leaking from turbine housing and vane actuator bushing.

I currently have a brand new Garrett VNT-17 sitting on my kitchen counter, waiting for additional parts to arrive for install....

Moral of the story: You get exactly what you pay for with turbochargers. Cheap turbos are cheap for a reason, they are built cheaper, with lower-quality components, less quality-control, etc.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Egr and asv delete. Had the intake off to install headers and turbo set up all clean and tight only vacuum line on now is brake of course and straight to the n75. Have the cold air intake cone filter new and line from the pipe to n75. the vacuum pump was leaking oil tightened it up stopped and built more vacuum. Might take it off clean it and or replace gaskets. Think the turbo turns off after x amount of time the ECU finds negative deviation?
As cable jockey said. I think your problem is with the turbo. There's another acronym for those types of parts Chinese Replacement Auto Parts. I know that the price seems a lot better, but all the evidence is pointing towards the turbo.
I

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
As cable jockey said. I think your problem is with the turbo. There's another acronym for those types of parts Chinese Replacement Auto Parts. I know that the price seems a lot better, but all the evidence is pointing towards the turbo.
I
And Cable jockey that be the worst.... I wanted to get the vnt17 when I first got the turbo that's what I thought it was... unfortunate situation

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
And Cable jockey that be the worst....
I agree that it definitely is not a fun situation...
I have replaced many sub-par parts on my car that simply performed badly, or failed very quickly. (The MAF was an unlabeled knock off, too)

Keep in mind that the PO works at my local VW dealership as a 'technician', which makes the situation that little bit worse, in my mind.

My car seems to be the prime example of many posts on this forum:
  • use oe quality parts
  • avoid the "stealer"ship

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
The way I like to think about the turbo is that it is a device that is spinning at rates of 150-200K rpm. For a device to do this incredible high speed spinning with long term reliability it cannot be made cheaply. Simply not possible.

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
Okay so new turbo vnt15 Garrett 2.25in downpipe cat delete vacuum pump resealed new maf sensor new map sensor new vacuum lines new n75 pd150 intake manifold and turbo inlet race pipe egr delete oil catch can set up 3/4in lines. Problem is NOW lol P0106 map sensor. Shouldn't be any leaks didnt see a short in the wire as I just replaced map and windshield washer reservoir map wire runs near there all looked covered and ok. Any thoughts? Cheap map cuase this? @CableJockey @300D @TDIdylan @Mozambiquer thanks in advance

Mozambiquer

TDI
Okay so new turbo vnt15 Garrett 2.25in downpipe cat delete vacuum pump resealed new maf sensor new map sensor new vacuum lines new n75 pd150 intake manifold and turbo inlet race pipe egr delete oil catch can set up 3/4in lines. Problem is NOW lol P0106 map sensor. Shouldn't be any leaks didnt see a short in the wire as I just replaced map and windshield washer reservoir map wire runs near there all looked covered and ok. Any thoughts? Cheap map cuase this? @CableJockey @300D @TDIdylan @Mozambiquer thanks in advance
So, asking the question if a cheap map would cause that probably indicates that you have a cheap map sensor?
Here's the code information on Ross tech. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16490/P0106/000262 I'd start off with vag-com for performing testing though.

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
So, asking the question if a cheap map would cause that probably indicates that you have a cheap map sensor?
Here's the code information on Ross tech. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16490/P0106/000262 I'd start off with vag-com for performing testing though.
Its building boost normal yet it read stuck at 875hgs asking for 1000 at idle and actual never changes stays at 875hgs. It's not a Bosch was going to order one

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
Possibly... Defective sensor, wrong sensor, broken wire, or poor connection are possible causes.
Did your new MAP come from a reliable source?

Edit: Does the code still occur with the original MAP?
No. actually it doesn't snap in the connector it's just there. Ordering Bosch map and boost guage pod monday

Mozambiquer

TDI
Its building boost normal yet it read stuck at 875hgs asking for 1000 at idle and actual never changes stays at 875hgs. It's not a Bosch was going to order one
Ok 875 is default reading, which means that it's not reading at all. I had a car which I got for cheap because it had a broken wire in the map sensor circuit and didn't show boost. There's a specific wiring test for that, but I'd for sure make sure to have a Bosch sensor, not a knockoff.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A few years back there was a glut of junk 3 bar MAP sensors. Most of our TDI parts dealers had purchased them, completely unaware they were imposture units. I don't know if any are still around, but there is easy check: the aluminum metal sleeves that provide the bolt getting too tight, if genuine will have a slot the length of the insert, and the crap ones do not have the gap. I hope I said this clearly. I do not ever think our vendors would ever sell questionable parts...just a thought.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Aftermarket pos cheap turbo, cold air intake, cleaned head and not intake runners, egr delete, no tune, come filter

Dude. You get what you pay for. Pay up for some quality parts and go back to stock on the intake.
Your no where near its limits.
22inches of HG minimum. Looks like your car isnt in good health and I wonder why?
So far (unless i missed it) you need to just put a quality turbo in there and stop trying to make this ticking time bomb work.
Its possible you have a valve that is no longer seating all the way from the crud in the intake runners now free to total the engine.

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
Aftermarket pos cheap turbo, cold air intake, cleaned head and not intake runners, egr delete, no tune, come filter

Dude. You get what you pay for. Pay up for some quality parts and go back to stock on the intake.
Your no where near its limits.
22inches of HG minimum. Looks like your car isnt in good health and I wonder why?
So far (unless i missed it) you need to just put a quality turbo in there and stop trying to make this ticking time bomb work.
Its possible you have a valve that is no longer seating all the way from the crud in the intake runners now free to total the engine.
Bought the car needing everything but an engine and transmission. Rereading I said I put in a new garret turbo and rebuilt the vacuum pump fmic pd150 intake system race pipe. people run alh with the cone and it's fine calm down eh engine works great and builds boost like a champ( choo) the map I bought to get by for a bit trashed way early is all. Be back a week or so with Bosch map and boost guage with results just like looking at possibilities. Cheers

Mozambiquer

TDI
Bought the car needing everything but an engine and transmission. Rereading I said I put in a new garret turbo and rebuilt the vacuum pump fmic pd150 intake system race pipe. people run alh with the cone and it's fine calm down eh engine works great and builds boost like a champ( choo) the map I bought to get by for a bit trashed way early is all. Be back a week or so with Bosch map and boost guage with results just like looking at possibilities. Cheers
I have yet to see anybody with a cone filter on an ALH that it didn't have problems, unless it is tuned with a maf delete.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
What of the AFE cold air intake sold by kerma tdi says to fit the alh and improve hp torque and air flow
probably BS. its been dyno proven that air filters usually rob power and do jack diddly squat for turbo applications. i'm sure this is an upgrade for someone with a maf delete and a near or past 300hp build.

Mozambiquer

TDI
What of the AFE cold air intake sold by kerma tdi says to fit the alh and improve hp torque and air flow
Kerma has also been known to say things that were not correct.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i would be on the floor with my sides covered in moms spagetti fi i was told directly from a rep from Kerma that the filter actually defied the very same dyno proven results that darkside and countless other youtube channels including motor trend proved about the BS of air filters and power gains

heck, case in point, on finnegan's garage, his "blasphemy" gasser drag car puts out a whopping 1,100 HP range on a hemi, just by adding a set of pod filters on the end of some new velocity stacks, he only gained about 11HP but now can drag with less frequent oil changes (now 100 miles between changes) and you expect a air filter on a 100HP engine to 10x those results. NO I THINK NOT.

look
they sell performance parts.
most of them are awesome. but nearly EVERYONE sells parts that they know will move because racecar and branding alone.
The best way i have heard this was from Jay Leno on motorcycles and air filters with high and low pressure zones. basically millions of hours and $ have been spent making a great filter work for a car that is good for 300K life and to get 10K between service on the filters, they have to have an enormous area and thus can move 200x the amount of air that you actually need for the engine stock. THUS usually a pointless effort to modify.
What makes you qualified to say a $250 waste of money is going to actually out perform a $10 mod of the stock air box.
its just hood bling for those who know nothing other than racing movies and TV

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
Kerma has also been known to say things that were not correct.
My asv connector was cut by the previous owner. And fuse 34 keeps blowing the wires are just twisted together and exposed. Trouble code p0245. Inspected maf map egr n75 wiring all seemed ok. Any thoughts on what to do? Might buy asv connector and rewire and leave the connector hanging with the egr

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My asv connector was cut by the previous owner. And fuse 34 keeps blowing the wires are just twisted together and exposed. Trouble code p0245. Inspected maf map egr n75 wiring all seemed ok. Any thoughts on what to do? Might buy asv connector and rewire and leave the connector hanging with the egr
sounds like you need to fine tooth comb fix your bar before you start worrying about power issues.

TDIdylan

TDI
Jetta mk4 alh
sounds like you need to fine tooth comb fix your bar before you start worrying about power issues.
I put a new Bosch map sensor today and that code happened. Along with n75 and interchangeable flapper motor asv and glow plug[ been occurring new harness on the way] changed fuse 34 [blown] and all codes went away accept the map pressure out of range and the glow plug. Any thoughts