Boost issue

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
I installed a new turbo and am having issues. I got the VAG out older version but was able to get codes cleared. Took car down the road and runs good. Boost comes up and then the boost releases and no power. I have to shut it off and restart it and power comes back. Until the scenario repeats itself. Looked at hoses to make sure the clips were in place and all looked good. I took hose off and verified movement. On the VAG I saw the N75 change. Same code comes back
16683 boost Pressue regulation
P0299-000 control range not reached

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You're experiencing "limp mode"... the ECU feels it is losing control of boost regulation and shuts the turbo down to avoid damage. Toggling the power resets the ECU's opinion of the turbo.

Lots of different possibilities as to why this is happening... since the turbo is new it could be an adjustment issue, but could also be related to why you replaced the turbo in the first place.

"Limp mode" is a great search term but an excellent place to start is the low power HOW-TO in my sig.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
N75 and all associate hoses. N75's are a frequent issue and are cheap. I'd replace it.

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks guys. I have been toying with this the last week. Iam always feeling power and at 2100 rpms it boost goes away and then limp mode. My next step is to try another N75. Vacuum hoses have been replaced. I'll update soon. Thanks again.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Sounds like a boost leak to me. A constant supply pressure test worked best for me.

mozark

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon, Silver, 5sp '05 Passat Wagon, Indigo, auto
Sounds like a boost leak. I would examine all of the hoses for wear and practically invisible perforations. Actually take each one out and examine it closely. Boost leaks can behave seemingly oddly before they become obvious. Like in your case, no apparent problems at low demand, then at a certain higher charge pressure a flaw opens up in a hose and limp mode is activated.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Sounds like a boost leak to me, too.
Why did you replace the turbocharger?
Only drivability issue I ever had on my 225k 04 was a boost hose was cracked on the inside of the elbow. It was creating soot on the tail gate. Not really noticeable unless under boos (flexing). Real hard to pinpoint. Was found by plugging and low pressurizing the system.

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
Update Guys, You were all Correct Boost leak. I could hear it but I could not pinpoint it. I'm gonna blame it on working 3rd shift, Apparently on the day I put the intake on I snuggged the bolts down but did not torque the intake bolts. So that took care of that issue. Thanks again for your input!!