Boost gauge housing?

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
I'm interested in mounting a boost gauge. I can't find any gauge housings for the Passat except for a VDO round housing. Any body have some pics. I know some one must have some cool place for the gauge.:confused:

Thanks in advance.
Randy

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The top one is the only one hooked up and it's EGT and Boost. The bottom one is a boost gauge just taking up the space so it doesn't look horrible. I'll probably toss in another double gauge, oil temp and pressure. Westach makes some great gauges.

Truckeratlarge

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 97, white
Abacus -your F150 A-pilat pod looks pretty good.I'm curious if the A pilars are the same on the MK3 as our B4. I will certainly settle for what you have pictured.

Most important question is, What route did you choose to send you wires from the engine compartment all the way to the pod?

Dave

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
I have a single version of that.... But I painted it grey to match the interior. It nicely wedges between the dash top and the rubber surround of the A pillar...

And the screw to locate was again painted grey so it didn't stand out like a spare plick at a Chinese wedding...

Just talk me through why you used a white screw cover and not a black one??

(it wasn't a complement! ;)

Truckeratlarge

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 97, white
I'm almost sure I read in the past how someone else routed everything from engine to cabin. I've looked for days and haven't found anything.

What method or route did you take to get wires thru the firewall?

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
On my Audi A4 B5, there is a section in the black plastic ECU housing which gives direct access to the inside of the car.... (you have to remove the Ecu if I remember correctly)

Thats where I routed mine....

FF

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I'm almost sure I read in the past how someone else routed everything from engine to cabin. I've looked for days and haven't found anything.

On the B4, there is no speedometer cable, but the opening is still there normally with a rubber plug. That is where I run wires and such through.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

There's a bunch of unused grommets back behind the fuse box that you can get to. I wouldn't take one out completely but I would punch a hole through the center of one and run everything in that way.

Alternatively you could get the appropriate pass-through boot for that hole by hitting a JY and getting it off a junker.

Steve

BluFalcon

TDI
13 Passat TDI
What specific year range is the gauge pod from? 87-97 F-150? It's either this or universal gauge mounts bolted to the A-Pillar.

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
I have a '90 F-250, and can't remember what made me check it, but after comparing the width of the pillars, it seemed like it would work so I ordered a pod for that year. So, short answer is 1990 F-series will work.

BluFalcon

TDI
13 Passat TDI
I have a '90 F-250, and can't remember what made me check it, but after comparing the width of the pillars, it seemed like it would work so I ordered a pod for that year. So, short answer is 1990 F-series will work.
Thanks!!

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Yes, it's liquid filled. It is very quiet- they can be buzzy I understand. The lighting is good too, and is wired into the dimmer.

Ha. I see my F-250 I'm taking about through the windshield!