Boost drop!

TDI Power

TDI
Jetta, 98, Red
My upsoluted A3 Jetta runs 18 psi, but just lately I have noticed at around 3500 rpm flored the boost drops to 15 from 18psi.
Is this normal? Shouldn't it be 18 psi all the way to red line?

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
at WOT my stocker golf spikes to 'bout 18 then rapidly falls to 9. as I contiue to hold it, it will begin to slowly climb again.
anytime I'm cruising above 2500rpm and nail it it will pop up to 15 and hold untill I approach redline at which point it drops off steadily.
I'm a stocker and my gauge is propbably not the most accurate thing in the world.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Since your original question has been hijacked into "A4-land", I want to return to the topic and reassure you that what you are seeing is normal. My B4 w/Ups holds 15 psi pretty steadily at WOT and only spikes higher. Hope this helps.

TDI Power

TDI
Jetta, 98, Red
jck66, LOL, I guess the topic did get kind of hijacked. Anyway thanks for reassuring me but does not your chip make 18 psi steady. Mine with WOT from start peaks at 20 psi then settles to 18 and keeps at 18 till about 3500 rpm and then goes down to 14-15 psi. Its almost like the engine is turning so fast and needs more air at that rpm and the rubo just cant give it more. Or the computer just automaticaly downs the boost at such high rpm to prevent damage due to high compression. I'm not sure what it is but I hope it is normal, I dont want to find out my turbo is going or something else like that.