Bonneville UT Speed GTG Spring 2011 – Let’s do the Flying Mile – Who's in?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Bonneville UT Speed GTG Fall 2011 – Let’s do the Flying Mile – Who's in?

EDIT: Tentative date moved from Spring to Fall 2011

Bonneville UT: Fastest Place on Earth Speed GTG Fall 2011 – Let’s do the Flying Mile – Target 140 mph. Who's in?

Date is wide open at this point..... Sometime is the Fall of 2011. We'll fix the date in the next few months and provide more details after we see the level of interest and poll the participants. If you have some interest, pls add your name to the list below.

1. TotheMax

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I have interest, but don't know if I'll get my build done by spring. Will not be running WOT for a mile with my 17/22, that's for sure!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I'm in perhaps. Though I was thinking of going to Week of Speed almost a year from now out there.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I have interest, but don't know if I'll get my build done by spring. Will not be running WOT for a mile with my 17/22, that's for sure!
Lets not forget that in your car it will take about 20 secs :D

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Is a flying mile where you get several miles to build up to top speed then see what your average is over a mile?

syncroserge

TDI
91 ALH Syncro Westfalia
I did that with my VW in the fall of 96. I got to an indicated 147...km/h :D
it's a Syncro Westfalia with a 90hp engine so that was all out top speed...

Then I was passed by a Corvette like I was going backwards :mad:

Now my van has a TDI (ALH, PP520, 11mm pump, 1749VA ) but it's geared
to climb walls not top speed. If I showed up could I have my own class ?:D

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like a couple of definite maybe 's ... we can move it out further in time if that suits your guys better... your thoughts?

Yes the flying mile is where you get going fast and measure the last mile in two direction.... there is no traction on the salt so we can't really launch ... talks a long distance to get up to speed... that's why they measure the speed/ time of the last mile ... not the first mile..

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Haha that would be fun! I have a feeling my little 17/22 would melt tho. I can get up to 1500+ *F in the quarter mile; I wouldn't be able to stay in the throttle (thumbs down)

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haha that would be fun! I have a feeling my little 17/22 would melt tho. I can get up to 1500+ *F in the quarter mile; I wouldn't be able to stay in the throttle (thumbs down)
You may need some water meth before you go... was able to keep my EGT's down to 1190 on the dyno..

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Should be fun.. to bad in europe we can only do this in germany and with a gps.. I read the salt has quite a bit more drag than regular pavement

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Ya might want to try that again with only water. If I read the rules right, they don't allow w/m only w.

I assume you are shooting for 140 MPH since going over that requires roll bars, fire suits etc ...

Wish it weren't over 4000 miles RT, sounds like fun. Do they have a flying mile anywhere else in the states? That is a lot of flat real estate req'd to set up an event like that.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
It is tempting. I dont think I want to start my race season off with an engine melter though....but perhaps if I limited power to 350-375HP. I will have a 6 point cage, so not sure where that would limit me on top speed rules. Do they allow nitrous? or CO2 spray on intercoolers? Isn't that a VERY hot location as well?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Bigger problem than charge cooling might be blowing up the turbo(s...) ;) at that altitude unless properly engineered.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I'd definitely show up to spectate. I'd participate, but my top end gearing isn't exactly set up for speed.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I might show up to spectate as well, but probably not. I do have some friends out in Park City I've been wanting to visit anyway. I'm not particularly interested in participating. I already had my dad's Viper up to 200mph in high school so the need for speed's pretty much gone for me. Still, might be entertaining.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is tempting. I dont think I want to start my race season off with an engine melter though....but perhaps if I limited power to 350-375HP. I will have a 6 point cage, so not sure where that would limit me on top speed rules. Do they allow nitrous? or CO2 spray on intercoolers? Isn't that a VERY hot location as well?
Sounds like we need to move this to a late fall timeframe... cooler temperatures and more time for folks to get their cars tuned up...

As far as rules, we will do some research hand post the exact requirements... as for my car... I am not too worried about a roll cage being required.....just yet........:D

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Sounds like we need to move this to a late fall timeframe... cooler temperatures and more time for folks to get their cars tuned up...

As far as rules, we will do some research hand post the exact requirements... as for my car... I am not too worried about a roll cage being required.....just yet........:D
Even if you do, you will just have to stop when you hit the limit and won't get to race again till you meet specs, and you can always throw the speed trial once you have gone above the speed to keep racing :)

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2

yes, I think the fall would probably be more realistic for me anyway..but I do want to get out and run hot rod drag week next fall too, so we will have to see if there are any conflicts. I think Dave will need to give me some guidance regarding the low air density. I did not realize it was a high altitude there. Thanks for looking into the rules!

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
yeah its a high desert.. i'd be down for it. 140 wouldn't be hard at all

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
yeah its a high desert.. i'd be down for it. 140 wouldn't be hard at all

No doubt, with that duramax you could probably hit 160 mph, I'd be down too with my golf, so let's see if we can organize for some of us with TDI's.. it will be interesting to see the results pushing the TDI at that altitude, definitly we woulld need water or w/m to cool the egt's.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
No doubt, with that duramax you could probably hit 160 mph, I'd be down too with my golf, so let's see if we can organize for some of us with TDI's.. it will be interesting to see the results pushing the TDI at that altitude, definitly we woulld need water or w/m to cool the egt's.
I think remaps are in order to keep turbos from flying apart...

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
4000 feet is to high? Is it too high for the stock turbo? I've driven up over 13,000 feet in Colorado and never felt as if there was a problem with my stock ALH (before my RC2+ tune). Since my tune I haven't been higher than about 1600 feet.

Anyhow, I had my ALH by those salt flats a few times and my Jetta ran great.

BTW, there's a stretch of I-80 from Nevada heading east into Utah. That stretch is about 90 miles of STRAIGHT road before a turn. So straight it's boring Check it out on a road atlas. Is there any longer straight stretch of public road anywhere in the world?

It really was amazing. Have to be careful not to dose off while driving.