BMW Gummi Phlege report (for frozen doors)

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
Saw a post a month back from people with doors frozen shut. Went to my local BMW dealer and bought the recommended tube of rubber treatment (Gummi Phlege, $8) and treated all the doors, hatch and hood, except for the passenger side, rear door.

Completely forgot about it till last Friday night when I had a full car. The rear passenger side door was frozen solid, none of the other doors, or the hatch, had the slightest hint of sticking. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BMW didn't have the aerosol can any longer, this stuff was the consistancy of vasoline, in a green squeeze tube with a foam applicator. Here's the original thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...mp;o=&fpart

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
I need to get to my local BMW dealer to get a tube of that stuff! My rubber seals get dry and then over rough surfaces the rubber squeeks and makes chirping noises. It goes away with Armor All but that stuff doesn't last very long /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I also want to get my hands on a type III (preferably a wagon but a fast back would work). My biggest problem is talking my wife into another VW as I currently have nine /images/graemlins/grin.gif. I guess I will just have to concentrate on finishing the '67 Westy.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
GP = Good Stuff! Never use Armor all on you r car. That stuff will pull the plastisizers out of the rubber/vinyl so fast it'll scare you. Use Aerospace 303, Vinylex, or similar product with no silicone in it. Don't forget the back side of the seal when you treat them. The foam applicator is worthless, squeeze it out and use your fingers. Don't overwork the tube though, they are fragile, and will leak quickly. BTDT.

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member
Gotta pull out the BS flag on the Armor All statement. Sounds like a marketing statement. I have utilized Armor All exclusively on all my vehicles. My truck has been in the Alabama sun for 15 years. The interior looks great, with no cracks, and the vinyl is plenty pliable.

Best Regards,

Rob

JDi

TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta
GummiPlege really does the job. Got a tube of the gel for $8 from the BMW dealer. My Jetta came stock with the OEM squeeky doors but that has since been remedied.

Does VW Mexico just not treat the rubber seals before their cars leave the factory? I had a 99 Passat, built in Germany, before my 2003 Jetta and the Passat never had squeeky doors.

We haven't had a really hard freeze here yet, so I still have to see how GP handles that.

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
[ QUOTE ]
Rob_from_Elkmont said:
Gotta pull out the BS flag on the Armor All statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
How often should I re-apply this stuff? It seems like its been absorbed but my doors have been opening fine since it got cold. So far /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
Hey, POWERSTROKE. Check out this website: www.autopia-carcare.com. Look under the "Exterior Trim" section. The Gummi-Pflege is listed as 1Z Rubber Protection Stick. I ordered from them, and had the product in three days.