BMW finally bring diesel models to US

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
clark246810 said:
Ya, this 335D is a real piece of $hit,
Then add steptronic to it, total junk.
Nah, the engine and rest of the car is fine. It's just that Europe gets the good stuff like usual and we get the scraps.

I'm very shocked the 2009 TDIs can come with an honest to $DEITY$ transmission.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
not sure what you mean, Bob. the 3 liter twin turbo is the top diesel technology BMW has. the steptronic tranny matches the power band very well, and can actually handle the torque :)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
tditom said:
not sure what you mean, Bob. the 3 liter twin turbo is the top diesel technology BMW has. the steptronic tranny matches the power band very well, and can actually handle the torque :)
Yes, the motor is outstanding!

Europe gets a 6-speed manual option that we don't.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the manual transmission is not available anywhere with this engine, Bob ;)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
tditom said:
the manual transmission is not available anywhere with this engine, Bob ;)
Ah, I misread the article.:eek:

Europe still gets the good stuff:D

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Maybe the Europeans are turning into wusses, too ;)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
dieseldorf said:
Maybe the Europeans are turning into wusses, too ;)
Actually, it isn't that. It's that the BMW manuals can't handle the torque of the twin-turbo engine.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
bhtooefr said:
Actually, it isn't that. It's that the BMW manuals can't handle the torque of the twin-turbo engine.
how do you think those chipped 330d manuals hold up? :confused: I wonder if there is a clutch upgrade that they use.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Let me rephrase. It's that BMW doesn't want to warrant their manuals for that level of torque.

Volkswagen only warrants the wet-clutch DSG in applications up to 350 Nm or 258 ft-lbf, but there are chipped 2.0Ts and turboed R32s with DSGs that are holding up fine.

HO'OLAKO

Veteran Member
they will never bring the manuals anyway.that will be a euro thing unless they bring the 2.0 here! was at bmw yesterday and the diesel is not coming to va for a few more months.was told if you can't build car on web site you can't get it.

HO'OLAKO

Veteran Member
Willing to bet they will bring 30-50 cars fully optioned and let every one fight over them.there is noway those cars will be less than 50k

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
he's saying under $50k, optioned... You can't really find a stripper so that $44,725 price is misleading. The dealer always adds options because ppl want them. However I wager that car could be had much less doing the whole eurodelivery thing.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the cars come very well equipped. you can order a car "stock". the out the door price in my state would be well under $50K.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i just used the build your own function and came up with a take home cost of $48627.50. The only option I really want is the cold weather package. I would definitely look into the Euro Delivery option for a 7% savings on top of that.

EDIT: After taking the ED discount and the fed gov tax credit, the price is $44468 (incl. Michigan 6% sales tax.).

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
tditom said:
The only option I really want is the cold weather package.
In a 3 or 1-series, you need the sports seats. The standard seats are just awful. Don't take the sports suspension though, too harsh. IIRC sports seats cost about 600€ in Europe.

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
is that ED MSRP? Because you can easily negotiate $1000 over ED wholesale. Bimmerfest has "confidential pricing" pdf's. Forgive me if you already know this. Also of note, bmw financial calculates leases from NA MSRP. So if you get $5-7k off MSRP they will be under $500/mo to lease