TDI
BMW E30 2.0 16v TDI
Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
That is a very nice car and swap.

BTW: where did you get the numbers for the layout of the VW to Volvo adapter plate?

Mrozik

TDI
BMW E30 2.0 16v TDI
I did it by myself,without any plan. I had engin and gearbox that all
I can't apply gearbox from BMW because starter is on avers side.

Last edited:

Mk2tdi

TDI
mk2 tdi project
Any other info or pics you can provide? I visited your picasa website, was wondering about pics of the engine mounts. I have a 85 325e with a dead motor and have been thinking about putting a VW motor into it 4 quite some time. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
what generation volvo transmission did you use? I want to put 1996 tdi motor in 1972 bmw 2002 and was stuck on the starter problem.

Mrozik

TDI
BMW E30 2.0 16v TDI
The gearbox is from volvo 760 2.4 TD ( from 1990 ),but I was thinking about apply gearbox from audi quattro and lock torsen for RWD.It is much easier ,because You don't need to use adapter.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Mrozik said:
It's very simple, because the roll from gearbox have exacly longhth wchih I need to put it to engin.
I meant the geometric center of the gearbox shaft to its bolt pattern and the engine crank centerline to it attach bolts.

jazzcat

TDI
used to drive 01 golf
that is fricken sweet...hows it run? any more pictures of it?

more detailed build please! that is seriously the coolest thing that I have seen today lol

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Pat, if you centre the clutch plate to the spigot bearing in the crank end, then gently slide the gearbox into place, you should be able to mark the orientation of block and bellhousing.

VFchicago88

Banned
man, the polish do the craziest things with TDI's and TDI motors. check out polish TDI drag races, like 1.9s in the 12s and 13s on crazy spray!

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
DPM said:
Pat, if you centre the clutch plate to the spigot bearing in the crank end, then gently slide the gearbox into place, you should be able to mark the orientation of block and bellhousing.
Most gearboxes use the pilot bearing to support the input gear (cluster gear) on one end, and without that support, the whole affair is free to move around a fair bit. Since this determines the gear contact pattern, even the slightest missalignment usually means a destroyed gearbox (breaks the tips of the first motion gear off - rest is self-explanatory).

So, the answer is you CAN do that, but it won't be very accurate. You MIGHT get away with it.

Mrozik

TDI
BMW E30 2.0 16v TDI
Scott_DeWitt said:
I don't get it why not use a BMW diesel?
Why not ????
I wanted to do something not usual.If I will put there the engin from BMW it will be to easy.I thought about 3.0 diesel BMW 218ps from 2004 , but I didnt know nobody who will turn off imo.

tdiluva

TDI
2006.5 DSG Special Edition
THAT is a Sweet Project Car. I agree the BMW diesel would have been equally sweet but hey being different is part of loving DIESEL's. I LOVE IT!!!!

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
I was considering tring to usa the frontwheel drive but it seems very hard to figure it out. if it worked I could make a hybrid drive, or find a syncro drive setup and have a fourwheel drive 2002 might even be the only on in the world with a roached quatro bmw/vw diesel!

lars1

TDI
none
Hey!
VERY nice combo. I cant get the pictures in your first post to work. Is it just my computer? Looking forward to see you engine bay

I want to do a similar swap myself, but with the cheaper 1,9. Do you know the weight of the engine? Is it possible to go around the IMMO on the "new" 1,9`s, or do you have to bring a BIG loom from the donorcar? As I have understood it is easiest to use the 97-99 engine without immo, if you can find one..

Any other e30 tip`s?

Lars, Norway;)

Mrozik

TDI
BMW E30 2.0 16v TDI
lars1 said:
Hey!
VERY nice combo. I cant get the pictures in your first post to work. Is it just my computer? Looking forward to see you engine bay

I want to do a similar swap myself, but with the cheaper 1,9. Do you know the weight of the engine? Is it possible to go around the IMMO on the "new" 1,9`s, or do you have to bring a BIG loom from the donorcar? As I have understood it is easiest to use the 97-99 engine without immo, if you can find one..

Any other e30 tip`s?

Lars, Norway;)
try this to see photohttp://picasaweb.google.com/mrozioster/BMWE30Swap2016VTDIBKPBYMROZIO

In 1.9 TDi PD & VP on edc15 immo is not big problem, you can turn off in eprom very simple :)

Now i looking for big turbo and I'dont know witch is better GT2260v from bmw X5 or GT2359V from mercedes 3.2cdi wat do you thing???

Ps. my point is 250HP and 450Nm :)

Logdog

TDI
None at this time, but I'm putting a TDI and Toyota 5 speed into my 122 Volvo Wagon.
Great job!

I'm building a 1966 Volvo 122S wagon with a VW TDI engine and a Toyota five speed transmission. There is a machine shop in my area that makes the adaptors to do this. He remachines the Toyota flywheel to fit the VW TDI so that everything is stock Toyota parts. It makes repairs much easier this way.

Is the bellhousing bolt pattern of a TDI 2.0 the same as the TDI 1.9? If so, the 2.0 would fit in my Volvo as well. If the bolt pattern of the 2.0 is different, it might be the same as the bolt pattern of the Volvo 24D engine which is a non-turbo'ed, six cylinder VW diesel. I am told that these have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the early Audi gas and diesel engines. Does the starter on the 2.0 attach to the engine or the bellhousing? The Volvo diesel bellhousing and clutch assembly might be the answer to some installations.

Do you have any new ideas that you've learned from this engine swap?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Lodlog:

The Volvo diesel trans may not be of any value to 1.9 and 2.0 TDI users, but thanks for reminding me that it is around since it is a perfect alternative for making 2.0 Audi TD, 2.4 VW and 2.5 TDI 5 cylinder engines into useful rear drive configurations. Any idea what ratios were available?

DIRTYMOFO

TDI
mTDi in rabbit truck (r.i.p.), 2005 passat wagon tdi, bmw 335d
so is there a adapter plate to use a tdi motor on a bmw e30 tranny?

Da-BRT

TDI
Audi 100 (typ 43) with 2.5TDI AEL 140hp build up mechanical / 963 Baja project - 2.5 V6 mTDI mid-engine
I'll try to make some pictures this weekend of the E30 with a 525TDS bi-turbo and mechanical pump.

Mrozik

TDI
BMW E30 2.0 16v TDI
a lot has changed on my bmw e30 tdi

-CostumeExhaust Manifold
-Turbo Gt2260v
-software without air mas flow sensor
-Gearbox 6ger from audi quattro DQT
-rear diferencial with Diff lock :)
-MAP-sensor 350KPH

Now my car has 242Hp and 434Nm (245Ps and 320lb/ft) :)

Dyno

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/b2be522c12b96f4f.html

magic button :)

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/0af77394e3e3c4ab.html

http://

Last edited: