BMW Diesels coming soon...

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
http://www.autospies.com/news/BMW-Diesel-s-coming-in-2008-Is-Diesel-The-New-Hybrid-20558

Seems that the X5 is first out the gate, and according to one writer further down the list that the 3-Series should only be about a month behind.

While my first choice would be the new Jetta, I feel VWoA is going to de-content their cars so far that I'm going to have to step up to a more "premium" brand. The talk is the A4 will have a diesel late next year or early 09, but whichever gets here first (Audi or BMW) will be my next car.

The E-Class is just too much money, and I don't need a car that big. No one seems to know if/when the C-Class diesel will make it to NA.

Man, it tough waiting...:p

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
I sure wouldnt mind a 335d. I could use more rear seat leg room.... I had to take some relatives around Washington state this summer and the ole Jetta sucks in the rear seat department.....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
atc98002 said:
The talk is the A4 will have a diesel late next year or early 09, but whichever gets here first (Audi or BMW) will be my next car.

The E-Class is just too much money, and I don't need a car that big. No one seems to know if/when the C-Class diesel will make it to NA.

Man, it tough waiting...:p
You know the E class is really about the same size as a B5 Passat, and the Audi A4 is on a shared platform with the B5 (although the newer Audi is an updated version and the A4 is slightly shorter wheelbase than the Passat).

I for one wish they would offer deconted versions of their cars like they do in the rest of the world. Not everyone wants or can afford a $25k car.

p06781

TDI
2003 jetta sedan auto
Sweet , cant wait . I will get a 330d over a jetta anyday. Now only if they would give us a awd one ....

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
p06781 said:
Sweet , cant wait . I will get a 330d over a jetta anyday. Now only if they would give us a awd one ....
Im pretty sure it's going to a 335d. Im also pretty sure they'll offer an X version. Though I wouldnt want the extra weight dragging down my MPG. If youve ever driven a BMW with traction control I think you'd desire the AWD less. That traction control is amazing.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
a 535d touring was spotted recently in New Jersey (where BMW USA is HQ'd).

It will definitely be the twin-turbo 3L (-35d). They don't make an X5 with this motor in Germany, so I don't see them bringing it over here with the twin-turbo.

oilhammer

TDI
tditom said:
a 535d touring was spotted recently in New Jersey (where BMW USA is HQ'd).

It will definitely be the twin-turbo 3L (-35d). They don't make an X5 with this motor in Germany, so I don't see them bringing it over here with the twin-turbo.
I didn't think they made ANY X5s in Germany...don't they come from South Carolina or something? Or am I thinking of a different Bimmer?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My point is, if they don't offer it in Germany, why would they offer it here?

oilhammer

TDI
tditom said:
My point is, if they don't offer it in Germany, why would they offer it here?
Valid point, but there are and have been MANY German engines/models offered here that were NOT offered in Germany.

You won't find that noisy thirsty 2.5L 5 cyl gasser A5 engine in German spec cars that is the standard Jetta engine and sole Rabbit engine here.:eek:

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
from Wards Auto-

BMW AG reveals its first major diesel push in the U.S. and Canada will begin with a 3.0L inline 6 cyl. with variable twin-turbo technology.The German auto maker, which has offered a diesel engine for 24 years in Europe and now counts seven such mills in its lineup, first announced in 2006 plans to bring one of the award-winning powertrains to the U.S.

During a recent competence exercise here, BMW identifies that powertrain as the 3.0L twin turbo, a mill that accounts for 1% of 3-Series sedan sales and 7% of 3-Series coupe deliveries in Europe. Its greatest penetration is in the X3 cross/utility vehicle, with 8% of all vehicles fitted with the engine, BMW says. On the 5-Series, it appears in 5% of all sedans and 7% of all touring models sold in Europe.
The auto maker remains mum on pricing and which model, or models, may receive the engine in the U.S. At the competence exercise, BMW offers the engine for testing in a 335d coupe, sedan and touring model; 535d sedan and touring model; and 635d coupe.
In the U.S., the auto maker’s most popular mill is the similarly sized 3.0L DOHC I-6, a Ward’s 10 Best Engines award winner the past two years. The 24-valve gasoline engine appeared in 91% of BMW vehicles sold in the U.S. in 2006, including 87.5% of 3-Series models, according to Ward’s data. The mill also was fitted in a majority of X5 CUVs, assembled in Spartanburg, S.C.

Satch Carlson, editor of Roundel, the official magazine of the BMW Car Club of America, says the 335d and 535d would make the most sense in the U.S.
“Both of these models are absolute rockets, especially when accelerating from freeway speeds to Autobahn speeds,” says Carlson, who has tested the cars extensively.

BMW will bring 3.0L I-6 engine to U.S. next year. The twin-turbo 335d in Europe makes 286 hp and 427 lb-ft. (578 Nm) of torque.
“That makes it a performance engine in the American tradition of the stop-light Grand Prix,” Carlson says.
The same car also achieves a combined cycle of 35 mpg (6.7 L/100 km). By comparison, the turbocharged ’08 335i for U.S. delivery gets a combined cycle of 20 mpg (11.7 L/100 km) and delivers 300 hp and 300 lb.-ft. (406 Nm) of torque.
Until earlier this year, BMW downplayed the prospect of bringing a diesel engine to the U.S., although oil burners account for 67% of its sales in Europe and 40% of its engine installations worldwide. BMW has long maintained it would be too difficult to fully recover the cost of diesel engines and their accompanying complex exhaust treatment systems.
It even passed on a partnership with fellow German auto makers DaimlerChrysler AG, Audi AG and U.S.-market leader Volkswagen AG to jointly develop and market a diesel engine that would meet emissions regulations nationwide and likely ease those cost pressures.
Those auto makers now are marketing diesel technology under the Bluetec name, which uses urea injection to meet most states’ emissions standards.
Related Stories
VW Seeks to Change Perception of Diesel, Gather Feedback
Audi Postpones Diesel Q7 Launch; Revamping Dealer Network
Americans Warm Up to Diesels But Balk at Price
Lutz Says Diesels No CAFE Panacea
Honeywell Exec Says Higher CAFE Standards Could Boost Turbo Sales
BMW also has said it feared offering a diesel alternative to its lineup of performance-oriented gasoline engines would make for few conquest sales.
The auto maker undoubtedly recalls the industry’s last diesel push with passenger cars in the U.S. some 30 years ago, an experiment that failed miserably in a black, smelly cloud of exhaust. U.S. consumers have resisted diesels ever since.
But times have changed and so has the diesel, says Fritz Steinparzer, director-diesel engine development, BMW.
“We think, with the diesel technology we have now, we can change that perception,” Steinparzer says. “Diesels are a good opportunity against hybrids.”
The key element of BMW’s diesel technology is the exhaust system’s particulate trap, which brings the engine into compliance with strict U.S. Tier II bin 5 emissions standards. The trap also is maintenance free, which BMW considers a first. In addition, the auto maker says the trap does not diminish engine power or increase fuel consumption – a bugaboo of many such solutions.
Much like its competitors at Mercedes and Volkswagen, BMW’s technology additionally relies heavily on a sophisticated aftertreatment process, which injects small amounts of diluted, ammonia-based urea solution into the exhaust stream to convert toxic oxides of nitrogen emissions into a harmless mix of nitrogen and water.

3.0L twin-turbo diesel accounts for 8% of BMW X3 sales in Europe. Steinparzer says the system eliminates more than 99% of harmful emissions.
“We’re really close to zero (emissions),” Steinparzer says, adding that he thinks BMW will take a leadership role in performance diesel offerings in the U.S. next year. “There is no other manufacturer that can offer this technology at this time.”
Another key element of the engine is its twin turbochargers. BMW placed a larger, principle blower underneath the engine and a smaller, standby turbo on top. From a stop, or at slower speeds, the engine uses both. But at higher speeds, it bypasses the smaller turbo to rely solely on the bigger one.
“It is the most efficient turbocharger there is today,” Steinparzer says.
Other features of the engine include a common-rail fuel system with piezoelectric injectors rated at 29,000 psi (2,000 bar) and capable of up to five injection events per combustion stroke. A newly developed, high-pressure pump feeds the injectors. An aluminum crankcase helps trim overall weight of the engine.
But whether U.S. consumers embrace the engine remains to be seen, especially if it comes with the $2,000-$3,000 markup analysts expect.
Carlson says this diesel will impress fuel-conscious consumers cross-shopping in the segment and satisfy current BMW owners that have been clamoring for the auto maker to bring its diesels stateside for their low-torque performance quotient.
“It isn’t noisy and it doesn’t stink like a Ford pickup,” he says. “You can hear a slightly different sound from the engine at idle, if you’re outside the car. But inside, there’s just a reassuring bass rumble on acceleration. It feels and sounds something like a big-block Chevy when you put your foot down.”
Diesel engines currently account for 3% of the U.S. market, but by 2015 that number will jump to 12%, according to J.D. Power and Associates.
“We see the market growing pretty quickly,” says Michael Omotoso, senior manager-global powertrain forecasting for J.D. Power.
Omotoso says European and Asian manufacturers will make a push with diesels in their passenger cars, while General Motors Corp, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC will bring diesels into their light trucks.
Omotoso likes BMW’s chances against Mercedes, whose 3.0L engine does not currently compete on performance or meet 50-state emissions requirements. Audi has delayed its first diesel, a variant for its Q7 CUV, until 2010.
“It will do well,” he says of BMW’s diesel application. “It will be interesting to see whether they market it as a performance vehicle, on its fuel economy, or a little of both. People who drive BMWs normally can afford gasoline at $3 or even $4 a gallon.”
BMW won’t elaborate on its marketing plan for models with the engine, saying only that the effort would be on par with what it would do for any other new-vehicle launch. Carlson says a test drive is all it will take.
“It’s definitely not your father’s diesel,” he says. “Your hot-rodding Uncle Max, on the other hand, (is) gonna love it.”

Last edited:

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
tditom said:
They already announced the twin-turbo diesel X5... and that engine has been in the X3 forever. In the SUVs they call it "3.0 sd" as opposed ti the "3.0d" with just one turbo.

KellerJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta white
I'm wondering if the BMW and the Audi will have the same EGR system that will build up soot in the air intake like on the VW's ?

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
Why do you people torture me so? :eek:

I would kill to drive a 535d sport. 35mpg combined for a car that GOES! They even have chips for it, how does 500 ft-lbs "grab" ya?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Matthew_S said:
I suppose a 320d is too much to ask for.:(
the margin on the higher end vehicles is much more to BMW's advantage. ;)

Perhaps if the US market responds very favorably to diesels, they may choose to compete in the "entry class" market.

The 1-series with a diesel would be sweet....

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MR42HH said:
They already announced the twin-turbo diesel X5...
I missed this announcement. Do you have a source? TIA

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d

majesticj

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta GL TDI
tditom said:
the margin on the higher end vehicles is much more to BMW's advantage. ;)

Perhaps if the US market responds very favorably to diesels, they may choose to compete in the "entry class" market.

The 1-series with a diesel would be sweet....
The 123 hatch in the M trim -- 350 ft/lb of torque chipped out of a car that small? You could pull a tree out of the ground with that kind of torque.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I found this post from an alleged BMW employee on the diesel roll-out:
Quote:
Better now than tomorrow!
No need to wait until Saturday, here you go:

MY 08' M3 Sedan
- Build: Dec 07'
- Launch: March 08'

MY 08' M3 coupe
- Build: Dec 07'
- Launch: March 08'

MY 08' M3 Vert
- March
- May 24th

MY 08' 128/135 coupes and 128 vert
- Build: Dec 08'
- Launch: March 22'nd

MY 08' 135 vert
- March
- May 30th

MY 08' X6 3.5 TT >>>>>>>>Yes a twin turbo X6!
- Build: January 08'
- Launch: April 19th

MY 08' X6 4.8is
- May
- July launch

MY 09' 335d Sedan
- Sept 08' build
- October launch

MY 09' 3 series sedan facelift

X5 3.0 diesel
- October 08'
-November

New 7 series
- November 08' build
- January 09' launch

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Driving impressions of the 2007 BMW 535d
by Sam Abuelsamid
[/FONT]
2007 BMW 535d

The BMW 535d is a shining example of what can be achieved with modern diesel technology. German supplier Bosch recently provided Diesel Forecast with European spec BMW 535d to evaluate and it proved most impressive.

Click here to see the video.

(more)[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
http://www.dieselforecast.com/ArticleDetails.php?articleID=418
$68K?? I hope they're wrong :(