BMW announces 335d and X5 xDrive35d pricing for US

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/11/bmw-announces-335d-and-x5-xdrive35d-pricing/

Base MSRP for the BMW 335d will be $44,725 (the price includes destination fees), while the base MSRP for the X5 xDrive 35d will be $52,025 (including fees).

More info:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/11/11/bmw-officially-announces-new-335d-and-x5-xdrive35d-diesels/

At the pump, the 335d will be rated at 23/36 mpg city/highway with a range of about 560 miles. The X5's 22 gallon tank should take it at least 585 miles on its 19/26 mpg ratings.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
also note that the 335d is eligible for a $900 tax credit, and the x5d for $1550

Mondog1

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
Figure it's going to be about 48-50K once you throw in a few options or packages.

RobbieTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF TDI 5sp, '01 Jetta TDI 5sp, '05.5 Jetta TDI DSG
sad to say, but i predict the 335d flops in the US, at least for now. The base price for the 335i is around $40k, the diesel adds approx $5k to that. With D2 prices at almost twice that of RUG in some parts of the country, the savings for the average person is a little hard to recognize, espeacially when the 335i is quicker that the 335d.

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
A coworker just bought a gasser 328. When all was said and done she spent 54,000. X drive and the like. Seems to me she could have waited and spent the same money for a 50 mpg car, instead of the 22 mpg car she got!

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
RobbieTDI said:
sad to say, but i predict the 335d flops in the US, at least for now. The base price for the 335i is around $40k, the diesel adds approx $5k to that. With D2 prices at almost twice that of RUG in some parts of the country, the savings for the average person is a little hard to recognize, espeacially when the 335i is quicker that the 335d.
BMW doesn't make any "RUG" cars.

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
spending 52k on a 328 is pure stupidity. You can EASILY get a well optioned 335xi for that coin. She must have been seriously worked over by the dealer. WOW. Poor girl.

The 335i is not quicker than the 335d in all regards. 0-60, yes but not 20-60 or 40-80, etc there will be plenty of instances where the torque will come in to favor. Also, it will feel very quick. I doubt bmw will be bringing a bazillion over here, so I doubt they will flop.

Last edited:

RobbieTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF TDI 5sp, '01 Jetta TDI 5sp, '05.5 Jetta TDI DSG
i agree, 52k on a 328 is pure stupidity, almost the on the boardline of unbelievable. You can almost have an M3 for that, espeacially since i hear many are sitting on the lot.

NHTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328D Xdrive
Check out the BMW USA website. The main page is dedicated to the new diesel vehicles coming soon! VW should try this.

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
Here's what Automotive News says about BMW's diesel pricing:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BMW of North America LLC is pricing its new clean diesels for profit, not volume, in the United States, where acceptance is still a big question. With diesel vehicles accounting for 67 percent of its sales in Europe and no experience with diesel here, BMW instead is shooting for higher profits, pricing its diesel vehicles above those of its major rivals.
[/FONT]

vitoal18t

TDI
Still dreaming....
When is Audi planning to bring TDI to US?

I want 2.0 TDI A4. My mom's 328i lease is ending next year, I have to convience my family to switch to diesel :).

Maybe we'll lease 335d or diesel A4.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i didn't know you could do a euro delivery on a lease. interesting option....

TDI
2004 golf
lkchris said:
BMW doesn't make any "RUG" cars.
Good point... I do assume though that MANY bmw owners (many arent car enthusiasts in my area) just use RUG or mid grade. Regardless, some people will think diesel and instantly equate it with more expensive fuel, even if the price of premium and diesel is similar.

I think the diesel BMW success is a toss up. Benz has always had a bit of a diesel cult following in the US, and I kinda guess that some of the new CDI's I see on the road are driven by previous diesel benz drivers.

Your "free tank of fuel" with a new car usually isnt premium even if it requires it. At least not at the few dealers I have worked at. One just had an on-site tank that was always filled with mid-grade.

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
tditom said:
i didn't know you could do a euro delivery on a lease. interesting option....
Yeah you can generally get the car for $1000 over dealer cost which is way under msrp by doing euro delivery. This brings the lease payment down substantially. However this may not be an option on models manufactured here. But I believe "performance center delivery" can still save you money. The bottom line is the dealer has about $3-4k in profit below "Invoice". In the form of "marketing and support" costs. However getting a deal below fake "invoice" at a dealer is tricky because they ordered those vehicles and need to make a certain cut. Euro Delivery is outside their allocation and so in a way a bonus sale... for the dealer. There are forum sponors on bimmerfest that have ppl lined up for euro delivery at a good price.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
pdxgrease said:
Yeah you can generally get the car for $1000 over dealer cost which is way under msrp by doing euro delivery. This brings the lease payment down substantially. However this may not be an option on models manufactured here...
thanks for that info- very interesting option.

I'm only interested in the 3 series, and not the x5, so it sounds like the ED is the way to go!! That has been my plan from the beginning, but I did not know that leasing/ED option. thanks again!

HO'OLAKO

Veteran Member
I built mine up online. 45000. happy about that. It's the early march delivery i don't like. they take a deposit, but they still refuse to take full cash amount.