BMW 335d

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Looks like I'll be joining the BMW group. Hopefully picking up a 2011 335D next week. Premium and Winter package but no sports package. Is that just different shocks? Is there a way to eliminate the DPF system like they do on trucks? I'll have to say goodbye to my baby, 99.5 TDI :(. The wife says I can't have 3 cars. I have an '06 powerstroke also.
IMO Sports package is a must have. It's not just different shocks, it's an entirely beefier suspension. In addition, the sports package gives you the sports seats, which are (again) a must have in my book.

There are ways of bypassing some of the US emissions junk which are not on the Euro models, but I don't recommend it.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Sports package on a 2011 is: lower springs, different shocks, black headliner, staggered wheel/tire package, 155mph limiter increase. Not sure about US-spec cars, but Can-spec Sports had paddle shifters std. Re: removing SCR system, unless you know how to reprogram an encrypted DDE module, don't recommend it.

Enjoy.

D.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Sports package on a 2011 is: lower springs, different shocks, black headliner, staggered wheel/tire package, 155mph limiter increase. Not sure about US-spec cars, but Can-spec Sports had paddle shifters std. Re: removing SCR system, unless you know how to reprogram an encrypted DDE module, don't recommend it.
Enjoy.
D.
Only the M-Sport package has the black headliner and even a nicer sports steering wheel. The M-Sport has a beefier rear sway bar and different front/rear bumper/valances and minor trim. Otherwise, both sport packages are the same on the 335d: sports suspension, sports seats, sports steering wheel, staggered summer wheels/tires, higher mph speed limiter. The body color choices are also different between the regular, sport, and M-sport with only a few common colors such as Alpine White etc. Steering wheel shift paddles are optional on both types of sport steering wheels, and there is no heated steering wheel option available as for the regular steering wheel.

Last edited:

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
I have a 2011 335d sport, it was tune by Jeff(rocketchip) and it just drives fantastic, the suspension is a bit firm compared to the E class I had previous but I think is because the run flat tires.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I have a 2011 335d sport, it was tune by Jeff(rocketchip) and it just drives fantastic, the suspension is a bit firm compared to the E class I had previous but I think is because the run flat tires.
NICE! :cool:

I love my 2014 535d M-Sport w/xDrive AWD. It is a hoot to drive with the diesel's torque and AWD. :cool:

I've already got 20k miles on it and I've only had it since the middle of August 2013. The 20k mile service was done at my local BMW dealer (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH) over the weekend.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
NICE! :cool:

I love my 2014 535d M-Sport w/xDrive AWD. It is a hoot to drive with the diesel's torque and AWD. :cool:

I've already got 20k miles on it and I've only had it since the middle of August 2013. The 20k mile service was done at my local BMW dealer (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH) over the weekend.
I pick up mine in August 1st with 26K miles and is now at 33K im in love with the car:D

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
LOL, I have the same exterior color on my 2014 535d Xdrive M-Sport that you have on your 335d. Space Gray Metallic, right? Interiors are a little different. I have the Mocha Nappa leather interior. Now that I'm in a BMW, it's going to be very hard to go back to another VW in the future.

There's a Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO) thread on TDIclub. Maybe we need to start a Secret Society of BMW Owners thread! :)

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
LOL, I have the same exterior color on my 2014 535d Xdrive M-Sport that you have on your 335d. Space Gray Metallic, right? Interiors are a little different. I have the Mocha Nappa leather interior. Now that I'm in a BMW, it's going to be very hard to go back to another VW in the future.

There's a Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO) thread on TDIclub. Maybe we need to start a Secret Society of BMW Owners thread! :)
The color on mine is Blue water metallic it does looks a bit like Space grey.
I did had a 07 X5 4.8i on SG color, love it too.

SSBMWO? lol

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
I hate my tdi's after driving Delvi's tuned 335d. His car really rips in the straights, and handles like its on rails in the twisties!
Still like my mercedes though.
Jeff ;-))

n1das

TDI
I hate my tdi's after driving Delvi's tuned 335d. His car really rips in the straights, and handles like its on rails in the twisties!
Jeff ;-))
LOL, I can't help but wonder how my 2014 535d w/xDrive AWD would do after being tuned! :cool: Even in bone stock form I'm finding it very hard to want to go back to my 05 ATD PD JWagen TDI with all its mods.

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
I just got my 2011 335d M-sport Saturday. Its a blast to drive! I need to tint it and I should be good.

Last edited:

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Slaps self in forehead - WOW, I COULD'VE HAD A BMW Aagghhhh!

Here is my Touareg ranch ;-))

Last edited:

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks fantastic!!
Thanks brother! I came very close to buying a sport like yours, but couldn't resist the M-Sport. I like the Carbon fiber look of your interior, did you do that yourself?
How much did your tune cost? How much hp and tq did it add?

n1das

TDI
jsrmonster said:
Jeff ;-))
n1das said:
LOL, I can't help but wonder how my 2014 535d w/xDrive AWD would do after being tuned! Even in bone stock form I'm finding it very hard to want to go back to my 05 ATD PD JWagen TDI with all its mods.
Slaps self in forehead - WOW, I COULD'VE HAD A BMW Aagghhhh!

Here is my Touareg ranch ;-))

Must....resist.....urge to.......get my.....535d...tuned! :D

Last edited:

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Its a beautiful, and it's would be nice to have money, but at 40 grand starting, you have to be off your rocker...but I think any car that is not a collectible is a waste of money...I'm mistaken the base price is 45g...that's base. with options I don't even want to know...I like the Audi 3.0 TDI also, wish they were less...

Last edited:

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
FWIW....SIB for walnut blasting the carbon out of the cylinder head has been released. Price Tbd.

n1das

TDI
Its a beautiful, and it's would be nice to have money, but at 40 grand starting, you have to be off your rocker...but I think any car that is not a collectible is a waste of money...I'm mistaken the base price is 45g...that's base. with options I don't even want to know...I like the Audi 3.0 TDI also, wish they were less...
The base price of my 2014 535d was only $59.6k and I fully loaded it up. :cool:

My X5d was a CPO deal.

I've seen CPO deals on 335d cars identical to temporaptor's in the $26k range.

temporaptor, congrats on your 335d purchase! I spotted one identical to yours on the highway this morning on my way to work.

Good luck.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
love my 335d, but hate the transmission and hate the seats - anyone else feel the same way?
Yes, a manual transmission, or at least the new 8 speed, would be better.

The sport seats are quite good, but a little narrow. The F30 sport seats are a big improvement IMO.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Yes, a manual transmission, or at least the new 8 speed, would be better.

The sport seats are quite good, but a little narrow. The F30 sport seats are a big improvement IMO.
I've driven a 2013 with the 8 speed (lovely auto trans) and the non-sport seats (worse than mine)

Did you have trouble with light throttle shifting? I find that under heavy throttle, it shifts flawlessly, but under light 'city' throttle, it gets a bit confused. I've had an update done by the dealer, but it's no better. I've asked them about a flush, but they say that it's a lifetime fill. Spoke to an independent who said the same thing....

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've driven a 2013 with the 8 speed (lovely auto trans) and the non-sport seats (worse than mine)

Did you have trouble with light throttle shifting? I find that under heavy throttle, it shifts flawlessly, but under light 'city' throttle, it gets a bit confused. I've had an update done by the dealer, but it's no better. I've asked them about a flush, but they say that it's a lifetime fill. Spoke to an independent who said the same thing....
I'm very sensitive to how the thing shifts and so far no problem. Did you try "sport mode" to see if it shifts better - mine does but I don't usually need it for that.

Yes, get the flush! I don't agree with 100,000 mile fluid changes or "lifetime" automatic transmission fluid. It breaks down and gets contaminated. Mine started to act a bit differently (a little more slip, hesitation) at around 40,000 miles which is about right for a change if you have "heavy duty" use.

Here is a link that implies the service life is more like 62,000 miles rather than "lifetime."

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI

My X5d was a CPO deal.

temporaptor, congrats on your 335d purchase! I spotted one identical to yours on the highway this morning on my way to work.

Good luck.
thanks, I really love this car! Ive done alot of driving to the mountains this month and it really performs excellent!

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
love my 335d, but hate the transmission and hate the seats - anyone else feel the same way?
It took me awhile to get my seat adjusted for a comfortable drive. but I now have 2 seating positions set up that work great for me.(good thing we have 2 memory buttons lol) the first one is for relaxed driving, I have the seat slightly reclined and back alittle futher. the second one I have set up for "spirited" driving. I have the seat more upright and closer to the wheel.

I took Digital Corpus for a test drive in my 335d and he did complain the seats were not comfortable because of the lubar..... But everyone else says they are comfortable.....

My trans shifts great, I think they set up sport mode and regular great! But I dont know if I believe lifetime fluid. I may do a 50,000 mile fluid and filter (filter is built into the pan) change.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I'm very sensitive to how the thing shifts and so far no problem. Did you try "sport mode" to see if it shifts better - mine does but I don't usually need it for that.
Yes, get the flush! I don't agree with 100,000 mile fluid changes or "lifetime" automatic transmission fluid. It breaks down and gets contaminated. Mine started to act a bit differently (a little more slip, hesitation) at around 40,000 miles which is about right for a change if you have "heavy duty" use.
Here is a link that implies the service life is more like 62,000 miles rather than "lifetime."
I'll get the independent to try the flush and will try sport mode. Thanks!
It took me awhile to get my seat adjusted for a comfortable drive. but I now have 2 seating positions set up that work great for me.(good thing we have 2 memory buttons lol) the first one is for relaxed driving, I have the seat slightly reclined and back alittle futher. the second one I have set up for "spirited" driving. I have the seat more upright and closer to the wheel.
I've tried every position from reclined to bolt upright, but the cushion is just too flat. I'd thought about swapping sport seats in, but I haven't found a set for a rational amont of money.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d

My X5d was a CPO deal.

Good luck.
I always buy used, I got a 335d for the 26k range, first owner paid 48k, love the car, super fast...