BMW 328d vs 535d, 2014 year

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Pondering the purchase of a 3 year old pre-owned BMW
What are your thoughts about these 2 cars as a long term purchase for a senior couple. I envision this as a replacement for Anita's 2015 Camry when it goes off lease next year. It has to be an automatic. And I know a BMW cost a whole lot more for maintenance than a Camry.

FWIW, I have lusted a BMW since the first 1600 and 2002. My sister has driven 3 series BMW since 1992.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Had 328D X-Drive a month....seriously in love with it! It is heavier has all wheel drive and more horsepower than my Jetta yet gets better fuel mileage and much more Creature Comforts....

Last edited:

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
The 3 series will have a much sportier feel. If you are used to a Camry the 5 series might feel more comfortable. The 5 will also have more power.
If the choice was 3 series vs 5 series and you could afford either, I can only imagine most people would choose the 5 series. Size, comfort, performance. I'm not knocking the 3 series, I have one and I love it, but I would trade it for an equivalent 5 series. Even Steven.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
If the choice was 3 series vs 5 series and you could afford either, I can only imagine most people would choose the 5 series. Size, comfort, performance. I'm not knocking the 3 series, I have one and I love it, but I would trade it for an equivalent 5 series. Even Steven.
There is one benefit to the 3-series. Since it's a 4 cylinder it gets much better fuel mileage than the 6 cylinder 5-series. That's why I went with the 328d. I don't need the extra power or extra space, I was mostly looking for a nice car that gets great fuel mileage. There is no match to the 328d in the US for meeting those requirements.

As for maintenance costs, if you get a CPO car from a BMW dealer most of the maintenance should be covered. Make sure you get 17" wheels, tires for the 19" and 20" wheels are $$$ and they are also not a "square" setup. Other than that BMW maintenance isn't really that different than VW maintenance.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My 328D has the Sport Package which has 18 inch style 397 wheels no problem here....and the fuel mileage is on par with my 15 Jetta stick shift

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
The extra room - 5 passenger vs 4 passenger is the biggest attraction to the 535d. Anita has a young grandchild to consider. Also, the 3 series is a bit cramped for 4 adults. Never mind 4 adults and a child. The Camry works for short trips. Think Camry is a bit larger than the 3 series.
Good information on the 17 inch tires.

Any other comments appreciated.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Traded an X3d in on a 535d. The 3L is so much smoother and more powerful than the 2L. The mpgs pretty similar, actually. I'm sure the mpgs would be better in the 328d, though. The 535d is a step up in luxury. I'm more interested in luxury than sportiness at this point. The 535 handles very well in the twisties, nonetheless. I think once you try the 535d there will be no going back.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like BMWs (have one) but for the same or less money you could also get a leftover '15 Passat TDI if you can still find one. Tons of room, better FE, and it avoids some of the BMW issues like run-flat tires that perform poorly and bend wheels, and the $640 sensors in the exhaust that fail regularly. And you'd have a 0 mile car.

If you're set on a BMW I'd go with the 5 series. It's kind of a tank, but it would be super comfortable with 4 adults and you won't have any issues with your grandchild kicking the back of the front seat. And even though the 6-cylinder engine is a generation older than what the rest of the world gets, it's a sweet engine and makes great power.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
The extra room - 5 passenger vs 4 passenger is the biggest attraction to the 535d. Anita has a young grandchild to consider. Also, the 3 series is a bit cramped for 4 adults. Never mind 4 adults and a child. The Camry works for short trips. Think Camry is a bit larger than the 3 series.
Good information on the 17 inch tires.

Any other comments appreciated.

4 adults in a 3er is definitely no-go for more than quick jaunts around town. If you require size, then for sure go for the 5er. The Camry is definitely a good bit larger than a 3 series, I'm assuming it's a bit smaller than a 5 series though. Having not sat in them back-to-back I'm not sure.

As Tomo alluded there are some 18" styles on the 328d that are also square, but there are quite a few where the rear tires will be larger. All 19" and 20" wheels are staggered for the 3 series (not sure about 5 series). The only problem with staggered is that you can't rotate front to rear. The rear tires for 18" are only nominally more expensive.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
My biggest problem will be getting Anita to abandon her Camry. She is very comfortable with the Camry. Simple, cheap, just works all the time like a Maytag. That would be the big reason to get a 535D - hope I could sell her on it. But if I can not talk her out of the Camry - I would just buy the 328d for me.

Letting her keep her Camry may just be the smart thing to do. ;) Then I can buy what ever I want with no "I told you so".

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'd let her keep it. Better than worrying about what grand kids are going to do the 535d's interior.

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
Make sure you test drive both 3 and 5 series. You might find that the 5 meets your needs and covers the bases if Anita converts down the road. On the other hand you may end up driving a Camry.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Make sure you test drive both 3 and 5 series. You might find that the 5 meets your needs and covers the bases if Anita converts down the road. On the other hand you may end up driving a Camry.
There is truth to that! Certainly the price is right. Anita has a 3 year lease at $210/month for 15k miles/year. Don't know what the buy out is. IBW is right - I should just let her keep the Camry if that is what she wants. It works for the little one as is.

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
Having driven all of these cars, I can say the new 3 series is essentially a "Camry". The 328d is worlds apart from the E90 335d (sporty). I've also driven several Camry's as my mother in law owns 2 of them a 2004 and 2017. I would recommend the 535d for the room and for the luxury features that will be nice and help "sell" her on the bmw. I would get a CPO model for warranty peace of mind. But CPO does NOT cover maintenance, that's still on you to pay for. I'm lucky that I have a dealer I can trust not to rip me off, every dealer around me tries to charge $350 for a oil change for my X5 35d, except 1 dealer I trust that charges $120 and gives me a loaner. My cost to change the oil myself just in parts is about $110 so for $10 extra I let them worry about it while it's still under warranty.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Having driven all of these cars, I can say the new 3 series is essentially a "Camry". The 328d is worlds apart from the E90 335d (sporty). I've also driven several Camry's as my mother in law owns 2 of them a 2004 and 2017. I would recommend the 535d for the room and for the luxury features that will be nice and help "sell" her on the bmw. I would get a CPO model for warranty peace of mind. But CPO does NOT cover maintenance, that's still on you to pay for. I'm lucky that I have a dealer I can trust not to rip me off, every dealer around me tries to charge $350 for a oil change for my X5 35d, except 1 dealer I trust that charges $120 and gives me a loaner. My cost to change the oil myself just in parts is about $110 so for $10 extra I let them worry about it while it's still under warranty.
Paul, good to have you chime in here! Who is your dealer? Monrovia BMW? And which ones did you use to purchase a BMW?
The Penske dealership here has both the 328d and 535d, but asking prices seem better in Orange and L.A. county dealers.

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
My 328D has maintenance until 50K and it is a CPO so I will find out...
That was the old "new car maintance plan" that was included with with the vehicle when bought new. The only way it carries over is if you buy it from a bmw dealer. (The rules changed somewhat recently) The CPO is a seperate plan that kicks in and covers warranty repairs after the "New Car warranty" is done (4 years or 50k). The CPO adds 2 years or 100k.
All this information can be found in the CPO paperwork when you buy the car.
There is also a CPO checklist for every CPO car once it's certified, that the selling dealer should give you when buying. A lot of dealers "forget" to give it to customers. I have a copy of mine from my 335d and X5 35d, just had to remind the dealers when about to sign my paperwork. Also check the bmw financial part of the website from time to time. I was able to get 0.9% APR for 60 months on my 335d.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
That was the old "new car maintance plan" that was included with with the vehicle when bought new. The only way it carries over is if you buy it from a bmw dealer. (The rules changed somewhat recently) The CPO is a seperate plan that kicks in and covers warranty repairs after the "New Car warranty" is done (4 years or 50k). The CPO adds 2 years or 100k.
All this information can be found in the CPO paperwork when you buy the car.
There is also a CPO checklist for every CPO car once it's certified, that the selling dealer should give you when buying. A lot of dealers "forget" to give it to customers. I have a copy of mine from my 335d and X5 35d, just had to remind the dealers when about to sign my paperwork. Also check the bmw financial part of the website from time to time. I was able to get 0.9% APR for 60 months on my 335d.
Where do you think I bought a BMW CPO car? I also bought the extended Maintenance Plan? So the warranty is good to 100K and the Maintenance plans goes to 80 K ......

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
Paul, good to have you chime in here! Who is your dealer? Monrovia BMW? And which ones did you use to purchase a BMW?
The Penske dealership here has both the 328d and 535d, but asking prices seem better in Orange and L.A. county dealers.
I bought my 335d m sport from New Centry BMW in Alhambra mainly because they had the car I wanted CPO. I bought my X5 35d from Henderson BMW because they saved me a ton of cash compared to the California dealers when looking at CPO X5's. There is way more selection of X5's too which helped with negotiations.

I Only take my service work to McKenna BMW in Norwalk. And only to SA Charlie Kim. He is the only one who knows what he is doing and won't lie to you. He takes care of me! If he's wasn't around I would either not have a bmw or do all work myself that wasn't warranty.

PS John I was between a 535d, 740d and my Chevy SS when I bought a few months ago.

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
Where do you think I bought a BMW CPO car? I also bought the extended Maintenance Plan? So the warranty is good to 100K and the Maintenance plans goes to 80 K ......
I figured you did buy from bmw, but you can buy a CPO car private party. I sold my CPO 335d to a friend and the CPO can transfer over, but not if you buy it from a used car lot. And your maintenance plan you paid for covers maintenance, not the CPO.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I bought my 335d m sport from New Centry BMW in Alhambra mainly because they had the car I wanted CPO. I bought my X5 35d from Henderson BMW because they saved me a ton of cash compared to the California dealers when looking at CPO X5's. There is way more selection of X5's too which helped with negotiations.

I Only take my service work to McKenna BMW in Norwalk. And only to SA Charlie Kim. He is the only one who knows what he is doing and won't lie to you. He takes care of me! If he's wasn't around I would either not have a bmw or do all work myself that wasn't warranty.

PS John I was between a 535d, 740d and my Chevy SS when I bought a few months ago.
New Century VW was the original seller of my B4V! They also had one of the better priced 535D's I saw advertised in So Cal.
Guess I should expand my search area to the Vegas area!

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
When I bought my 2013 X5 XDrive 35d last October, the dealer also had a CPO 535d. yI wish I could have bought both of them, but went with the X5 because I live on a dirt road in rural Vermont, and need the ground clearance in winter. Both share the M57 6 cylinder diesel, though the 2013 has two turbos, big and small, and the 2014 has a single turbo. The six cylinders have been around since 1998 and run very smooth.

Go for that 535d. Any difference in fuel economy is minor. Heck, if that really mattered, you would be buying a new Chevy Cruze diesel.

But find a good independent BMW mechanic for the long haul. Those dealers charge a fortune for routine stuff. For example, on the Xdrive, BMW does not recommend tire rotation. I asked what rotating the tires on the X5 would cost while the car was up on the lift. $80 (!!!). They will bleed you dry if given the opportunity.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
When I bought my 2013 X5 XDrive 35d last October, the dealer also had a CPO 535d. yI wish I could have bought both of them, but went with the X5 because I live on a dirt road in rural Vermont, and need the ground clearance in winter. Both share the M57 6 cylinder diesel, though the 2013 has two turbos, big and small, and the 2014 has a single turbo. The six cylinders have been around since 1998 and run very smooth.

Go for that 535d. Any difference in fuel economy is minor. Heck, if that really mattered, you would be buying a new Chevy Cruze diesel.

But find a good independent BMW mechanic for the long haul. Those dealers charge a fortune for routine stuff. For example, on the Xdrive, BMW does not recommend tire rotation. I asked what rotating the tires on the X5 would cost while the car was up on the lift. $80 (!!!). They will bleed you dry if given the opportunity.
Yes, about 10 years ago when my sister was still in Atlanta, the minimum charge for just about anything on her 3 series was $900+. Including replacing a broken plastic tube on the radiator! I have not asked what her dealer here in California costs her for service. But as J.P. Morgan said, "If you have to ask the price - you can't afford it."

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yes, about 10 years ago when my sister was still in Atlanta, the minimum charge for just about anything on her 3 series was $900+. Including replacing a broken plastic tube on the radiator! I have not asked what her dealer here in California costs her for service. But as J.P. Morgan said, "If you have to ask the price - you can't afford it."
Excessive maintenance cost is what steers me away from BMW in general. I've looked at all kinds of them and have decided that being retired, on a fixed income (of sorts) and having a BMW is not cost effective, unless I do all the maintenance myself (which is getting physically harder to do at 73).

A neighbor has a 2000 Z4 (?) roadster since new with 18,000 original miles on it (true) and it is coming up for sale. I've looked at the car in his garage (he rarely drives it) and it's nice, but apparently will need a good "freshening up" and the convertible top motors are making all kinds of strange noises when in operation. I am temped to buy it, but fear the unknown.

And with the diesel BMWs, I don't really see the huge advantage over the gassers except for MPG, but that gap is closing. I believe it is getting that way for the other German brands (say TSI Vs, diesel).

Not knocking anyone's choices, but just talking out loud here.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Excessive maintenance cost is what steers me away from BMW in general. I've looked at all kinds of them and have decided that being retired, on a fixed income (of sorts) and having a BMW is not cost effective, unless I do all the maintenance myself (which is getting physically harder to do at 73).

A neighbor has a 2000 Z4 (?) roadster since new with 18,000 original miles on it (true) and it is coming up for sale. I've looked at the car in his garage (he rarely drives it) and it's nice, but apparently will need a good "freshening up" and the convertible top motors are making all kinds of strange noises when in operation. I am temped to buy it, but fear the unknown.

And with the diesel BMWs, I don't really see the huge advantage over the gassers except for MPG, but that gap is closing. I believe it is getting that way for the other German brands (say TSI Vs, diesel).

Not knocking anyone's choices, but just talking out loud here.
Understand what you are saying. The convertible top motors may be just lack of use (?) If you got it at a good price, you could use it for a year or two and get all your money back.

At this point in my life (retired, 69), MPG is not a large motivator. But I am getting tired of dealing with "old car" issues like discontinued parts etc. Thinking that a 30K mile CPO car will last me another 10 or 12 years easily. May as well get something nice!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Keep in mind that the Z4 is 17 years old. I think you may be surprised at how many parts are obsolete in that car. BMW is pretty aggressive about making parts obsolete.

My 335d is becoming pretty much a weekend and trip car. It's very comfortable on the highway and I look forward to road trips in it. It also has really excellent A/C. On the highway at 75-80 it gets 32-34 MPG, which I suspect is significantly better than a 335i, which has similar performance. And although it may not be less complex than the 335i, it's probably not much more complex. I don't however, feel like it would be an economical choice for people who drive lots of miles.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I went from a 2011 335d sport package (wider wheels in the back, larger/wider than standard) to a stock 2016 535d. The two cars are quite different. The 535d gets 35+ mpg most of the time (70/30 mix highway/city) while I would be lucky to average 32 mpg with the 335d. I went upscale due to easier ingress/egress and more compliant suspension. Very pleased with the 535d but loved the 335d.

TM