Bluetooth Option for 09 jetta tdi

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
i had written the folks at Volk-L as to when the dealer installable blue tooth option would be available, and received this reply today:

We understand that the VW Bluetooth communications solution (Volk-L) will be available to order from your local VW Dealer from mid September onwards.

With this option installed, you will be able to fully integrate any blue tooth enabled phone, including music (if your phone has it) via the stereo system, and of course, use the stereo to hold a phone conversation hands free.

Wes

oscarmv

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
If it's the same they've been seeling in Europe until recently, avoid it like the plague. That one only works with a bunch of Nokias and a smattering of other brands due to using some back-assward standard. If it's a new one with more modern bluetooth integration, then let me know 'cos I'm waiting for it to see if I order a JSW.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
oscarmv said:
If it's the same they've been seeling in Europe until recently, avoid it like the plague. That one only works with a bunch of Nokias and a smattering of other brands due to using some back-assward standard. If it's a new one with more modern bluetooth integration, then let me know 'cos I'm waiting for it to see if I order a JSW.
Gosh i hope it is true bluetooth as I'm very anxious to get this thing off my ear for hours at a time!!!!

Wes

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
used to have a 99 TDI Jetta
This is already available. I got my kit from Bud at checkered VW. Have not installed it yet though.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
LIVE4SPD said:
This is already available. I got my kit from Bud at checkered VW. Have not installed it yet though.
PLEASE post once you have it installed. I have one major question - does it dampen background noise? I currently use a "jawbone" bluetooth headset which virtually eliminates background noise (supposedly the best headset available for that)... BUT.. I would LOVE TO BE ABLE to use handsfree in the car without wearing the headset. I can easily spend over an hour a day on the phone when I'm driving (customer calls) and don't want it to be too noisy for my callers.

Thanks,

Wes

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
wesk1954 said:
PLEASE post once you have it installed. I have one major question - does it dampen background noise? I currently use a "jawbone" bluetooth headset which virtually eliminates background noise (supposedly the best headset available for that)... BUT.. I would LOVE TO BE ABLE to use handsfree in the car without wearing the headset. I can easily spend over an hour a day on the phone when I'm driving (customer calls) and don't want it to be too noisy for my callers.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes,
I've seen the demos for the Jawbone, just an opinion, but I don't think a Bluetooth kit is going to work nearly as well as the Jawbone.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
TwoTone said:
Wes,
I've seen the demos for the Jawbone, just an opinion, but I don't think a Bluetooth kit is going to work nearly as well as the Jawbone.
I'd be willing to live with "some" background... but as an example, my IMpala with OnStar was simply TOO noisy for the caller. My Equinox (which is two model years newer, 07) is MUCH better. I would say it's nearly acceptable.

Based on something I read about the Volk, it supposedly does a great job dampening background noises, so I'm really anxious to hear other's opinion before I invest.

Speaking of investing, has anyone heard what the kit costs, and what the dealer install charges will be?

Wes

CATDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 A5 Jetta TDI Pkg #3
I've been following the RNS-210 thread and a lot of people say the US version of the BT kit is crippled compared to the Skoda Euro unit. You may want to search around and see the differences. I'm planning on getting the Skoda unit.

-Ed

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
CATDI said:
I've been following the RNS-210 thread and a lot of people say the US version of the BT kit is crippled compared to the Skoda Euro unit. You may want to search around and see the differences. I'm planning on getting the Skoda unit.

-Ed
Tell me more. I'm not familiar with the Skoda unit. Does it fully integrate like the Volk?

Wes

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
It depends what you mean by integration. I bet Skoda unit is more integrated than Volk.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
maloosheck said:
It depends what you mean by integration. I bet Skoda unit is more integrated than Volk.
When I say integrate, I mean does it fully integrate with the VW system - the MFD read out, and the button on the steering wheel etc...

Wes

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
I checked out the Skoda unit some. it's definately more integrated. Does about everything you would want it to do. But it's also $600+ and mounts under the pass seat with cables running everwhere. I didn't want to deal with that much of an install.

I'm hoping I can install it maybe this weekend. I've been sitting on it for 2 weeks now. :(

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
LIVE4SPD said:
I checked out the Skoda unit some. it's definately more integrated. Does about everything you would want it to do. But it's also $600+ and mounts under the pass seat with cables running everwhere. I didn't want to deal with that much of an install.

I'm hoping I can install it maybe this weekend. I've been sitting on it for 2 weeks now. :(
NO WAY I would attempt the install myself... I'm handy but not that handy!!! LOL

I've written my dealer to see if the volk is available for install and will post his reply. I also asked for costs including installation. I could handle $600.00 but wouldn't want to spend much more than that for sure, as it won't really help that much when you trade in.

Wes

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Windjammer said:
Why don't you just install the parrot kit with the vw interface? It seems to work just fine.
Never heard of it. And a google didn't find it either.

Appreciate more info if you have it.

Wes

Malakas07

TDI
09 TDI SportWagen 6spd
wesk1954 said:
Never heard of it. And a google didn't find it either.

Appreciate more info if you have it.

Wes
+1

I've seen Parrot in VW's but I've yet to see one work with the VW interface.

Also I have a JSW no MFSW so I'm wondering if this Parrot unit would allow me to scroll through the MFD with the wiper stalk controls.

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
If anyone is looking for good information on bluetooth options, they should go over to VWvortex and talk to TDIMeek. He is pretty much the expert on it. The Skoda unit is far and away the best bluetooth option if you have the MFD. It syncs with your phone and displays your address book, call logs, caller id, etc. It allows you to voice dial or dial right from your address book using the MFD. I think it can also be had for under $400. The VolkL and Parrot kit are basically the same, they don't display anything in the MFD all they really do is mute the radio. The only advantage of the VolkL over the Parrot kit is that the VolkL has a hidden mic, where the Parrot kit you have to stick the mic somewhere exposed.

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok I have my kit installed and it is working. I'm trying to get one glitch fixed before I comment any further. I also have written a supplementary instruction guide at the same time.

Stand By!

sabaranski

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. See signature.
LIVE4SPD said:
Ok I have my kit installed and it is working. I'm trying to get one glitch fixed before I comment any further. I also have written a supplementary instruction guide at the same time.

Stand By!
Would love to see the supplementary instructions. Out of curiosity, where did you order your kit?

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok it's all installed and working 100%

I haven't used it too much yet, but I talked to my brother last night and he said it sounds ok. We compared the VW system to the handset itself, 2 Plantronics earpieces and a Ericsson ear piece. The VW system was bettter then all the bluetooth earpieces and my brother said the VW system was similar quality to the handset itself, but just a different (lower) pitch.

The sound quality that I hear is actually really good. It's plenty loud, and very clear. Better then any of the earpieces I've tried. So far I'm pretty happy but I've only used it for like 20 minutes so it's not exactly a in depth review.

Here's my DIY on installing.

http://www.rlmdigital.com/photohost/Volk-L_Instructions.pdf

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
LIVE4SPD said:
Ok it's all installed and working 100%

I haven't used it too much yet, but I talked to my brother last night and he said it sounds ok. We compared the VW system to the handset itself, 2 Plantronics earpieces and a Ericsson ear piece. The VW system was bettter then all the bluetooth earpieces and my brother said the VW system was similar quality to the handset itself, but just a different (lower) pitch.

The sound quality that I hear is actually really good. It's plenty loud, and very clear. Better then any of the earpieces I've tried. So far I'm pretty happy but I've only used it for like 20 minutes so it's not exactly a in depth review.

Here's my DIY on installing.

http://www.rlmdigital.com/photohost/Volk-L_Instructions.pdf
Have you used it when you're driving at highway speeds... 65-70 mph? I'm VERY interested in knowing how noisy it becomes to the caller. I currently use a "Jawbone" brand headset which is touted to have the best noise cancelling of any headset on the market, and I don't want to sacrifice too much road noise as to become irritating to my callers, which are also my customers, and therefore my "lifeline" LOL...

My 04 Impala OnStar system was WAY too noisy, but the 07 Equinox is much better, however the Jawbone beats all of them by miles. I would LOVE to give up the jawbone however so that I don't have to have the earpiece hanging on my head for hours at a time.

Thanks so much for posting your experience... many of us will appreciate very much.

Wes

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
The test above was on the highway. 70mph or so.

I have not tried a Jawbone personally, my brother has the new one though. I would be surprised if this is better then the jawbone however.

The remote party can still hear some road / wind noise it's just much less then other bluetooth earpieces i've had.

The other advantage to this system is it's powered up and ready to go all the time. There's nothing to keep charged or nothing to lose in between the seats etc. It's always ready and waiting.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
LIVE4SPD said:
The test above was on the highway. 70mph or so.

I have not tried a Jawbone personally, my brother has the new one though. I would be surprised if this is better then the jawbone however.

The remote party can still hear some road / wind noise it's just much less then other bluetooth earpieces i've had.

The other advantage to this system is it's powered up and ready to go all the time. There's nothing to keep charged or nothing to lose in between the seats etc. It's always ready and waiting.
Like I said, some noise is "okay"... I know nothing is likely to beat the Jawbone in silencing, but the built in Chevy system is just a little too noisy... I"m in high hopes it's a little better.

Clarify for me - I want to make sure I order the right unit, you DID install the VOLK-L and NOT some other system, correct?

I checked with my dealer on the Volk-L and they said it was currently in a back order status... interesting that you were able to get one!!!

Wes

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I have the Volk-L system. Try Bud Klemp at Checkered Flag VW to see if he can get you one. His email is in the PDF link.

oscarmv

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
They are promoting the Volk-L system at the dealers now (as in, they have brochures and are starting to know about it). It doesn't have any bells and whistles (basically your car acts as a bluetooth headset) but it's good enough for my needs.

The guy at my dealership said they have a few in backorder as it just came out and there's a few people wanting it installed.

Overall, it's what I wanted and nothing more. It'll probably go into my white JSW as soon as I get my green card stuff in order and can afford to go buy it :p