Bluetooth OBD Scan Tools

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
Hi Folks,
I have an OBDLink MX and the Torque Pro app that I have been using to monitor EGT and such. When I close down the app, it gives me a reminder to remove the adapter from the OBD socket, which I have been doing. However, it seems that inserting and removing the adapter all the time will eventually either wear out the pins on the adapter or wear out the little connectors in the OBD socket itself.

Other than the small drain on the battery from the adapter trying to search for a Bluetooth connection all the time, can anyone think of a reason I couldn't just keep the adapter plugged in?

Thanks.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I don't have a wiring diagram handy but if the OBD connector 12V wire is live all the time, it seems like your could fairly easily rewire it to switched 12V so it's only on when the key is in the ignition.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
Good thought. I performed the "mod" to keep the switched 12V outlets to constant power outlets... involved moving a fuse. I seem to recall that the OBD 12V power stayed active even before I moved that fuse, but I suppose I should check that first before I dive into rewiring the OBD 12V power connection.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Check your ScanTool docs . . . I have an MX as well, and recall reading something about a 'sleep mode' to allow it to do exactly what you want to do and leave it plugged in *without* doing any wiring mods . . .

CrazyMonkey

TDI
Thanks folks. I violated my own rule: when in doubt, read the directions. ;) I'm one of those people that actually reads my car's owners manual, and look through the instructions and such for all my devices, except somehow I missed the sleep mode... or since I've just been so crazy busy at work, I just forgot. Anyway, I went back to the OBDLink site and found the following under the MX:

"BatterySaver™ Technology
Plug it in, leave it in — without the danger of draining your vehicle’s battery. Fully automatic sleep and wake-up: does not require switches or manual button presses!"

So since the TorquePro app works with any Bluetooth adapter, it gives you a warning message for those adapters that don't have a sleep mode.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I would assume that a ScanGauge II does exactly that as well. Having used a SG II on two different vehicles since 2005 I can say that it has never been current draw concern to me. There are enough VW items constantly drawing juice from the battery, i.e alarm, radio/Nav, plus whatever else there may be.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The car itself goes into sleep mode a certain period of time after locking. So it's trying to do the same thing as he wants to do as well.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The car itself goes into sleep mode a certain period of time after locking.
Obviously it doesn't go into a "deep" sleep since the alarm LED in the drivers door blinks for a few days and even after it eventually does go off the alarm is still active, so is power to the Nav/radio and who knows how many other computerized items to keep memories alive.

I know, because where I am now I have not driven my car since December 12th 2017 and I have a 12 volt 2.5 amp solar panel connected to the battery.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am running the ELM 327 v1.5 and it goes into sleep mode after 600 seconds IIRC. There is also a mode to keep it on for longer than 600 seconds; what I remember was getting fuel or drinks or what-have you it will stay on for 10 minutes after the key is turned off.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
One good advantage of buying the real deal!
They are talking about a "Real Deal". A lot folks would probably never use VCDS to it's full potential anyway and would be a Gee Wiz toy to them. What is this advantage you speak of as it relates to this thread?

Something to try would be to with the dongle plugged in, trip the drivers latch and arm the alarm Wait for the car to go into sleep mode (20 minutes or so) and check the dongle to see if it's light goes out.

You trip the latch because it would let you arm the alarm with the drivers door open. Alternately you could roll down the drivers window and use a mirror to check if the power light on the dongle goes out.

Last edited: