Blown up vnt15 caused runaway what’s next?!

Luke06

TDI
Alh
So as the tittle says I had my turbo let go today and caused a runaway I stuck the car in 5th and dumped the clutch to get it to stall luckily there was still oil in it once I get it to quit! So I was planning on upgrading the turbo eventually anyway I have 230 nozzles and a 5mm pump I’m not sure if it’s tuned but there is a little box in between the injection pump wiring and the harness I was planning on running a either the vnt17 or a he200w
I’ve done a bit of research but I was wondering if there’s someone out there that has experience running both and if they could give me some insight

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
So as the tittle says I had my turbo let go today and caused a runaway I stuck the car in 5th and dumped the clutch to get it to stall luckily there was still oil in it once I get it to quit! So I was planning on upgrading the turbo eventually anyway I have 230 nozzles and a 5mm pump I’m not sure if it’s tuned but there is a little box in between the injection pump wiring and the harness I was planning on running a either the vnt17 or a he200w
I’ve done a bit of research but I was wondering if there’s someone out there that has experience running both and if they could give me some insight
That thing in the pump wiring is a EVRY mod. Take it out and burn it. That wasn’t doing you any favours. Glad to hear you still had oil.

Luke06

TDI
Alh
That’s basically like putting a resistor in your wiring eh ? Do you know what it does exactly? Ive heard the evry mod is really hard in injection pumps

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
That’s basically like putting a resistor in your wiring eh ? Do you know what it does exactly? Ive heard the evry mod is really hard in injection pumps
It increases the resistance so that the pump thinks it needs to send more voltage which means more fuel with means more power. It’s just a potentiometer. Take it out. Only causes problems.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
don't backtrack to ancient tech. if you want a better turbo, get a GTD. vnt > wastegate, especially new gen turbos.. no more complicated to fit. superior in every way.... also, it's more of a pain to try and tune wastegate on an alh.

Luke06

TDI
Alh
So what turbo would you recommend? I’ve found a cheap vnt17 for 350$ I’m sure it’s a Chinese turbo but it would at least get me going again until I can afford a genuine one as I said above I have a 5mm pump and 230 nozzles so far with a stock bottom end and stock head bolts I plan on studding it before I tune it Im open to suggestions on what I should do next this is not my daily so it can sit for a while. I also have a bew block sitting in the corner I’ve been reading up on using pd150 pistons or brm pistons with a alh head and arl head bolts.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Cheap turbos will more than likely just ruin your engine. I would wait and do it properly the first time as you have said there is no need for the car right now.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
As with a few around here, I highly recommend *AGAINST the cheap turbo.

One further thing; I don't believe there is a such thing as a 5mm pump. 10mm for manual cars, and 11mm for the auto cars.

Darkside offers a less expensive option to Garrett. Mellet I believe.
GT1749VB ARL PD150 1.9 TDI Turbocharger (darksidedevelopments.co.uk)

and for a wee bit more they will sell you one that has its compressor housing modified with a VNT15 hose barb.
Melett GT1749VB (ARL PD150) VNT17 Turbocharger with Modified Outlet for VE Engines (darksidedevelopments.co.uk)

Shipping is not quite nuts... :)

Douglas

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
lol 11 mm pump is what I meant yesterday was a very long day and my mind wasn’t in it sorry about that
I see you’re in Alberta. There is a vnt17 on marketplace in Calgary for $400. It’s a nice one has a little shaft play the guy said but nothing bad. I’d have a look. Concept1 in Calgary also has a vnt17 in stock for $1000 they are a good company and have warranty. I would steer clear of the $300 eBay special turbo that will cause nothing but grief.

Luke06

TDI
Alh
I can’t figure out how to post pictures from my iPhone on here but I have a turbo sitting on the shelf I think it’s off a bew I can’t remember where it came from to be honest it’s a garrrett turbo the hot side and the manifold is one piece

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Pictures must be uploaded to a server, either the one here or another online host. Then the link to them can be posted here. Can't be done direct to the post. There are instructions here spread around from when many others have posted the same issue they were having.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
can't help the idea that a BEW-capable Garrett( as in, one with a clip connector compressor outlet) is going to be a '17...and it will have a position sensor on its vacuum motor.

Cut a piece of paper 36mm wide, carve out a bit of space for the shaft spindle and measure the intake bore of the compressor. Same goes for the exhaust. The '17 will have a 39mm dia exhaust exit. The '15 is smaller on both ends...so is the BW KP39 the BEW actually uses OE.

Douglas

Luke06

TDI
Alh
I’ve confirmed that it’s a vnt17 the turbo drain is a different style I’m about to start looking into if I can use the vnt15 drain line does anyone know if it’s possible to use the vnt15 drain line

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
When a turbo goes it often leaks oil from the turbo bearing into the intake manifold.

Because it's an interference engine with very high compression it only takes one or two tablespoons of liquid in any given cylinder to bend a rod.

When this happens the car may still start and run ok, with no noticeable loss of power or extra noise, but come winter the car will be harder to start and... most importantly... at any time the bent rod can break and grenade the engine.

This is why those that gamble with cheap turbos are in fact gambling.... when they go they often ruin more than themselves.

Standard practice after a runaway is to pull the glowplugs, spin the engine over to blow out any residual oil (good sign if there's none) and then run a compression test, looking for one or more cylinders with significantly lower compression than the others.

The piston above rang in at 100 psi, the piston next to it was 400+.

Luke06

TDI
Alh
I turned the car over with a bar once I got it to the shop do you think there might still be oil in it now ? If so I’ll pull the glow plugs and run a compression test

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If there's too much extra oil in the cylinders the engine will still turn over fine, because the rods have bent to make room for the oil.... or some of it will have already been pushed out the exhaust.

Honestly, the only way to know for sure if your engine escaped harm is to do the compression test. Much cheaper to fix things now then when there's a rod-sized hole in the side of the block.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As it's an FAQ, you'll need to track down a compression tester that can handle at least 500 psi, and with a M10x1 fitting to screw in where the glow plug goes.

Dunno if Princess Auto has 'em or not... :)

Also important is to disconnect the injection pump harness, so that the ECU doesn't inject fuel while cranking. You'll get a CEL as a result, but a generic scanner will be able to clear it after you plug the harness back in.