Blown lifters

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
In the last 2 weeks there have been 4 TDI's with blown lifters that I have seen at work and at home,3 were still running and 1 not.The 2 yesterday blew the same lifter on the same cyl.Both around 150k The dead one at 509k.
I am thinking that lifters should be changed at 2nd tbelt change,just to avoid failure down the road.

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
Good point. Does the cam need to be removed? How complicated and time-consuming is it to re and re lifters?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
416k on my car and my lifters look great!!! Checked them the last time I had the valve cover off to replace a leaky cam seal.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
So I guess YMMV. My '02 needed a cam and lifters at 160K. Perhaps you should inspect them at the 2nd TB change and replace at 200K, which is what I've heard from several mechanics.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I just checked mine not long ago. They are all lifting right, so I'm not too worried at the moment. Will probably take another look whenever I do the next TB change.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Also, if you rotate the engine, the lifters (those things under the cam lobes) should move up and down. I've seen pictures where the lifters wouldn't come back up.

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
put a plastic screw driver on the lifter and try to push them down. Worn out lifters offer no resistance. I change my lifters on my car every year but I run a very aggressive cam.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I never did this on my '96 Passat, and I sold that with 462,000 km on it.

It's easy to do a visual and function check with the valve cover off. Mine looked fine on the Passat the last time I checked it.

Use the correct oil ...

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Brian, it seems to me (judging from all the stories) that the MKIVs are a little worse for this. Or, maybe it's just one of those things: there are more MKIVs on the road, so you hear more stories about them.

Brian B

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Silver
Thanks guys;) . With just the amount of km's on it I'm starting to put some real money into replacing stuff now.

Next project (Next week) will be Shock/Struts and bushings, springs, ball joints, tie rods, front bushings and rear axle bushings.

Then I guess I'll check the lifters. I still need to look at where my smoke is coming from at start up. I think one of my gaskets is going??:( ??