Blown ALH need help.

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
I finally have pics of my engine,I have 2 large holes on each side of my block, any suggestions on how this happened, could it be from the bent valve? I am in need of a long block replacement, I am in the National Guard, in a couple of months i will be in Iraq for 16months, i need a good honest price or suggestion for a replacement engine. Any suggestions will be greatly accepted..

DERV-NERD

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT PD130
A con-rod has made a break for freedom. Does the engine turn freely by hand?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Let me guess, you have replaced a turbo at some point due to it grenading?

Before this happened you had starting/missing issues at idle, smoke at idle, the smell of unburnt fuel in the exhuast, otherwise it ran pretty good...up until the rod popped out.

Maybe?
DB

melanie

TDI
passat
Very familiar sight! This happened to my car not so long ago due to sucking water into the air intake. Although your rod still looks connected (but bent) Is it still connected to the piston and or crankshaft.

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
The piston itself will rotate in block, The car was running fine, the turbo is the original,"as far as i no"and works fine. as for the noise, just a kinda bump while on the interstate at about 70mph, then coast to the side of the road.

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
It actually would idle pretty smoothly, the only hint was the smoke, and a slight miss or hesitation around 2200rpms, i was just trying to make it home and take the head off when it gave up the ghost,

DERV-NERD

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT PD130
WOW, That is one tuff valve to break the piston head clean off like that. I,ve seen plenty bent and snapped con rods in my time. But thats something else. Is the lifter above the bent valve in one peice?

wrenchman30

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 gray 2006 dark blue
if the cam is still in the head you will have valves open. if i remember correctly you bought the car after being repaired. the piston damage was from the other head that was removed. they just put a head on it to get it running and sold it to you.

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
yes, that's exactly what happened, well looks like im gonna pay for that mistake, Im probably gonna buy a crate motor with a waranty, and either sell or keep extra parts for future problems.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
The valve would have bent when the rod let go. The piston would have been moving up quickly in the cylinder with nothing to stop it. A complete engine, new or used will be your best bet. Connecting rods fail for many reasons. You might get a better idea when you check the condition of the other rod bearings. Also valves hitting the pistons can cause a rod bearing to fail and the final outcome is a thrown rod. Sorry.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Check the underside of the pistons to see if they were making contact with the crank weights.

I suspect that both the #2 and #3 rods are equally bent and both have contact marks from the crank on the wrist pin supports.

High res, note there is a crack that had formed in the piston under the wrist pin...you can see it more clearly when you zoom in.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/2001_1104_233250ABaa.jpg

Crack revealed when wrist pin removed:

By the way a valve in the TDI motor is designed to be compressed and push upward into the head. The expansion of the valve stem results in the valve jamming in the guide and prevents it from dropping into the cylinder in most cases (hopefully) as they say thats the intent.

Your other center rod probably look like this:

Your oil pan probably looks like this:

DB

Last edited: