Blower not working...

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
Hey y'all... if anyone can provide some guidance, I'd appreciate it. My blower stopped working on settings 1, 2 and 3. The AC light and compressor comes on on those settings, but goes off on setting 4. Setting 4 will blow on high, but with no AC.

Any suggestions?

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
and how do we replace that? something a shadetree, well, sapling, can do?

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
ok... found links to another forum on how to fix... thanks!

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
Highly likely its the blower motor and not the resistor.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
vcds
I'm curious as to why the AC light turns on.
What do you mean by the A/C light turns on? The A/C light should always turn on when A/C is selected on.

Have you scanned with VCDS for fault codes? A generic scan at AutoZone will most likely not show fault codes for the A/C system.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Correct. a blown resistor pack usually means the motor is failing and needs to be replaced when you replace the resistor pack.
When the resistor pack failed in my 02, the blower was a little stiff when spun.
I sprayed a little Kroil into the bearing and two years later it is still running fine.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
^^^
I tried that move, too, (spraying some lube into the bearing), but my new resistor pack still failed in less than a month.
Bought a new blower fan from Amazon ($45 or so) and 25K km later it's still working fine.

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
well, right now it's a budget thing... gonna try the resistor to see if i can get a few months out of it. just put a new clutch, wheel bearings, brakes, tires, rotors, and timing belt on her... i guess at just shy of 400K miles, things are allowed to wear out...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If the resistor burned out, it burned out for a reason (too much current flowing across, which heats up the wire, which blows the fuse). Which would be caused by too much electricity being needed to turn the fan.

The cheap fix (and I couldn't dissuade you more strongly): replace that circuit fuse with something that doesn't burn out. The downside, of course, is that you'll still have the excess current trying to turn the fan....which causes heat...which melts stuff and starts fires. Neither of which are things you'd want.
(Translation: Do it right, do it once.)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Since the resistor pack is what actually hold in the blower motor, its a no brainer to swap both at the same time. Also inspect the HVAC harness, I have seen them get burned when the blower motor melts down.

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
well, i was able to find a good price on a blower motor and a resistor. a shout out to parts geek.com for their lightning fast shipping (ordered after 5 tuesday night, resistor arrived wednesday afternoon). waiting for the blower to come from another source. will swap them both out asap.