Blower fan brushes require break in?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Hi Folks,

I searched for info on noisy blower fans, and found lots...but they were usually either lubricated or replaced and that was the end of the story. I installed a new blower fan this afternoon in my 03 Golf, and it made more noise than the one I removed. It makes a sort of "whizzing" sound on startup, and then you can hear a faint whirr/whine while it is running.

I assumed it was the brushes, and that they probably need to wear-in, or bed-in, but if that is the case, how long does this take? Has anybody experienced this before? Am I nuts?

In the meantime, I took the cover off of my old fan, lubricated the bearings, and re-installed it. It's running like new. (It hadn't failed, but was squeaking and chirping every now and then which was bugging me. Brushes look fine, and the bearings do too for that matter...).

You can tell the difference by spinning each of them by hand next to your ear...the new blower makes a light "whizz" sound, and my old one is mostly quiet.

Is it the sound of new brushes or a bad fan? Any thoughts from the experts?

jprine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 GLS Golf TDI, 04 R32, 05 Passat Wagon TDI
My replacement blower was quiet from the start. I think it was generic, but dont remember the brand and cant find receipt.

Old blower bushings started making lots of noise, took it out and lubed the bushings with superlube or something like that. Noise went away.. but didnt last very long and kept coming back.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Mine is original but starting to make some noise when it's under high speed. Would also like the know the brand the OP got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
The blower fan brand is Topran, which is a German aftermarket supplier. Purchased from local VW TDI parts shop.

I may try it again later, we'll see.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I wonder whether the fan cage is unbalanced. Maybe play around with adding a very small amount of weight.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I wonder whether the fan cage is unbalanced. Maybe play around with adding a very small amount of weight.
Well, both the old fan and new fan have balancing clips on the blades, so I assume that is OK. Besides...I could hear the difference between the two when spinning them by hand...and that would be far too slow for any imbalance issues to show up. I think my old one may actually be out of balance a little just due to the dirt on the blades...but it's currently installed and running fine. I guess we will see for how long. I logged it in my little book so when it starts squeaking again I'll know how long it lasted.:)

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Wow what a coincidence! My blower fan decided to give up the ghost on my way home in poring rain I might add! Is it a tough job to replace it? I priced it at Napa with cage it wasn't cheap...

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Wow what a coincidence! My blower fan decided to give up the ghost on my way home in poring rain I might add! Is it a tough job to replace it? I priced it at Napa with cage it wasn't cheap...
No sir, it is not a tough job at all imho. Takes about 20 minutes to swap I guess. That was the second time...lol. First time may have taken me a little longer. There is a write-up on here with a short-cut method...that's what I used.

Make sure it isn't your fan speed switch. The metal tab can break off the dial inside. I went through this with my 2000 Beetle. There's a good how-to on here for that was well.