block heater

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I have read that you can insert a block heater in the engine. Has anyone got an illustrated installation guide to this procedure?

1997 Jetta TDI

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Do a search for TDI Heater. You'll find all the information you need, including pictures.

Tim

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
Actually, Curious Chris claims our cars can use a "frost plug heater". I found this one at ThermoKing

I'm thinking about getting one of these, but the car has never failed me even at -17F. I'm dragging my feet.....

D'nardo

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well go to http://www.zerostart.com/pub_AppGuides.asp and download the pdf catalog if you have a cable modem as it is 2.9Mb. Or you can beleive me that when you look on page 24 of the catalog you will find that from 1974 -1999 all diesels took ZeroStart heater #3100034. On the same page you will see:
2000-2002 L4 - 1.9L Turbo Diesel NONE

Which is why the A4 aka 1999.5 ALH engines need a heater like Terry Frost aka www.tdiheater.com sells as there is not a frost plug to put the frost plug heater in.

I had a frost plug heater in my 1985 and 1989 1.6 Jetta diesels, an oh the car starts right up as you have heated the coolant by the cylinders. Oh, my www.tdiheater.com circulating coolant heater works just as well too.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Oh, you can find the ZeroStart heaters at just about any Autoparts store.

Installation is annoying as on these heater have to be installed on a frost plug on the back side of the engine. With good access you smack one side of the frost plug with a screwdriver against one edge and it will pivot in the hole and then you remove it. Then you roll the frost plug heater into place and then tighten down the toggle bolt that holds it in place.

The last one I put in was on my 1989 diesel, and it was a pain. Of course it was cheap too....