Does this have any impact on the AC system? I can't get any cold air. I did the blend door repair a couple years back. Helped the heat but didn't do anything for my AC woes. the lines under the hood get ice cold. nothing out of the vents.
I had the center console partially out to check the A/C relay back there and decided to go ahead and tackle this diverter doors foam issue. I have to be honest, I was a little hesitant, but it actually only took me 45 minutes (maybe less). I did not have to remove the airbag and used the green sticky (one side) felt. I actually had some left over that I used to make a fishing rod ceiling holder a couple years ago. Not a surprise, not a lick of foam was left. It went well. Now back to the no A/C problem (I'll start a new thread on that).
I appreciate sharing the shortcut (the hell with pulling the entire dash....lol)
Thank you for the 'tutorial'. Help my friend a lot, and also ran all the replies - so much good info! And the best one was to work clean, because that foam sticks everywhere. Of course, my boyfriend did the work,m but I was the boss
thanks to everyone for contributing, real good info. i just love how the crappy VW engineers, saving what a few pinching bucks, put something like this together. vent doors and all. then so many years later we have to go in and go behind them, with difficulty and jungle gyming i might say, contortionist. todd is humble, with a lot of useful added info on this post. so looks like im going to get to it today, maybe thru tomorrow. although i lack to radio removal keys, i ll see how it goes. have experience doing this on mk2, for them its not too difficult, other than some steps, the hardest part(for a mk2) is getting the front vent box clear, and not cracking it. its a little tight, then again we all can relate after a job like this. on the mk2 the doors are now right there. so on to my info. i just love the guy who goes over-board, exhaust tape,haha, real fancy glue. like said its pretty basic a job, and i use al tape, with really good glue, should be permanent. so i have reg.cheapo wally-mart hvac tape, rather cheap, kind of thin, for the real good stuff, yea its cheapo. so i ll double it up. heres my 2cents. so the glue i use is this. looks like it may not be available, as looking on 3-m site, i can find a lesser listing, so see if i can get pic posted http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Trim-Adhesive?N=5002385+3293193884&rt=rud
see if this takes, so its quite similar, prob cause ive had my can for how long,, so it looks same. super trim adhesive, hope it helps. seems to work right.
i ll have to see how to post pics, on site, as i kind of hate photobucket, give me a bit.
link will do.
If your foam has gone bad, I'm sure you've had foam flying out of the vents and have also seen a plastic film, mixed in. A few years back, I parted a B4 with (amazingly) good blend doors. What I had noticed was the pourous foam had a thin plastic backing for the adhesive.
What I had surmised, was although the foam was porous, the plastic film would not have let air pass through it.
from what ive heard, quite sometime ago, the holes in the (vent)doors was/is to cut down on over-all production costs, the cheap-o german b-stards. you migh think its not a lot, not for you or one individual car, but run a production line and you get some savings back. was also thinking its the industry telling you that product is about used up, ante up for another, etc.
I performed this repair the year before last. I thought my heater core was clogged before reading this thread. I used felt from WalMart, spray adhesive AND aluminum duct tape to adhere the felt to the door. I don't think I'll be in there again. At least I hope not.
They probably used the blanks for something else....wouldn't surprise me at all....I've rummaged through the scrap bin in the press room where I work for metal stock plenty of times before and always come out with what I need.