Black and white check valve to n75

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It will cause NO boost from my experience, although I have only come across a couple of those bad over the years.

OVERboost is generally caused by either a sticking VNT mechanism on the turbo, or the N75 itself unable to vent away the vacuum properly, and allow the VNT actuator to return to the rest position.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
That check valve isolates the N75 and the vacuum ball reservoir from influence of other components using vacuum.

If it does not work properly then the N75 valve may not have enough vacuum on hand to pull the vane lever actuator where it needs to go. Underboost, not overboost is the result.
If you sit there madly pumping the brakes, I suppose that you could thwart its capacity to keep a steady vacuum supply to the input of the N75 valve.
I often enough find the B/W check valve faulty when a turbo actuator develops a hole in the diaphragm and rust debris and dirt get sucked all the way back to the vacuum pump. The small nipple on the brake booster check valve assembly attached to the vacuum pump can get clogged as well as the N75 valve.

Last edited:

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
It will cause NO boost from my experience, although I have only come across a couple of those bad over the years.

OVERboost is generally caused by either a sticking VNT mechanism on the turbo, or the N75 itself unable to vent away the vacuum properly, and allow the VNT actuator to return to the rest position.
I did the output test in vcds on the n75. In my other thread I noted it would make sort of a chirp sound and the normal thump thump. How can you tell if the thing is actually bad? My overboost happens rarely, and only on long hill climbs. Happened last Saturday doing a steady 85mph up a long grade on I-91. Them I can pound on the car incessantly on the flats and runs like a champ.

Is there a way to verify for sure a bad n75?

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
That check valve isolates the N75 and the vacuum ball reservoir from influence of other components using vacuum.

If it does not work properly then the N75 valve may not have enough vacuum on hand to pull the vane lever actuator where it needs to go. Underboost, not overboost is the result.
If you sit there madly pumping the brakes, I suppose that you could thwart its capacity to keep a steady vacuum supply to the input of the N75 valve.
I often enough find the B/W check valve faulty when a turbo actuator develops a hole in the diaphragm and rust debris and dirt get sucked all the way back to the vacuum pump. The small nipple on the brake booster check valve assembly attached to the vacuum pump can get clogged as well and the N75 valve.
So I know I need a check valve. I have had 2 rusty actuators so far. I installed the third last fall. Is it best to replace the check valve and n75 for what I describe? The actuator hood vacuum and seems to go down smoothly.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Was there any oil in the old lines when you took them off?
It might be worth doing an oven cleaning to the vtn

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you have suffered rusted out VNT actuators, then your vacuum system has ingested some debris. There is no doubt about it. Where that debris ends up is usually the ying-yang valve (the black and white check valve) and the N75 valve. Sometimes you can blow them out and clean the stuff out, sometimes it gets jammed in there in such a way that you cannot, and you need to replace the part.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
It's not difficult to bench test the N75 valve by connecting it to a low pressure air
supply (15psi max) at the vent nipple and cycling it with 12VDC.
I was able to clear a bit of debris from my N75 this way.