BKD coolant leak

efeballi

TDI
2004 Seat Altea 2.0 TDI (BKD)
Got a quote today for the cylinder head replacement, €500 labor and €750 for parts. As the leaking speed's gone beyond my understanding of what K-seal can hold, I'll probably go ahead with it. I hope nothing else's broken along the way.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
750 sounds a lot for parts? Is the head itself getting replaced?

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
For what it’s worth here in Ohio I was quoted $400 to clean the head and re-seat the valves.

efeballi

TDI
I'm assuming it's the head, early 16V TDIs were notorious with porous heads. Labor quote is for cylinder head replacement with camshafts, valves etc being carried over (hopefully). I found a C revision head (VW revised the head twice against this) for €500, I'm keeping an extra €250 margin for unforeseen costs in labor and parts such as head bolts, damaged valves while being removed etc.

efeballi

TDI
Head and gasket replaced. After being quoted €4000 for an OEM head, I went for an AMC head for €750. Many other things were replaced or serviced along the way, such as injectors (serviced) and valves (replaced). Pistons and block appear to be A-OK.

All in all, I'm €2000 lighter. Performance appears the same (if not slightly better), fuel burn is lower particularly on idle. I'm pretty sure the torsion value has not been checked, I'll need to check it and have the shop do the necessary adjustment. Injection quantities are also to be checked as the takeoffs from idle and part-throttle (barely touching the throttle) response is worse. might be due to the battery being a bit low though.

Too early to say if it actually worked.