Biofuel Blend in Nova Scotia

aburchell44

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon For Sale
Here is the scoop. I have been in contact with people from Ocean Nutrition (they supply the fish oil), Wilsons fuel (Dave Collins), And Hillcrest VW (Mike V) all about the Biofuel project. Wilsons has been using a blend for home heating and it has been quite successful. The problem is its the same price as regular oil. If the government were to subsidize this buy a few cents a litre, their sales would be better and our envirnoment would be better.
Both Wilsons, and Hillcrest have been using the fuel in their trucks and a few demos. Apparently no real glitches although a few gelling issuees when it was minus 40 degrees.
Apparently Metro Transit has been using the fule for the last few months w/o any hiccups. This is completely below the radar because its in the testing stages.
I noticed the other day the buses werent emitting a big stench and a big black cloud. Maybe its from the Bio Blend.

I have been prying at Dave Collins as to when this will be available at the pumps. He suggests the spring some time...

Ill keep all of you posted.

Mike H

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Comfortline
How about a license plate frame saying "Put a cod in your tank"?
That would be great especially if it is sold at the same price as petroleum fuel. Soy based fuels seem to be considerably more expensive in those areas where it's available.

-Mike

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
What's also good news is that it will be available from a Wilson's pump.
The benefit of this is that currently the price at Wilson's for diesel is 70.9/ltr and Shell, Ultramar, Esso & Petro Canada are different most times, but around 77.9/ltr and Irving is currently 81.9/ltr.

You can't argue the price of diesel at Wilson's, that's for sure.

Mike H

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Comfortline
Hey I noticed a Metro Transit bus today and it had "BIO-DIESEL ONLY" in big red letters next to the fuel hole. And it didn't smell at all like fish.

-Mike