Biodiesel

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
i fill my car up for the first time today with B biodiesel. i hope it works out OK i guess i need to search before i get fussed out on here.i do have some question but i want ask about them here don't want to up set any one. :( the biodiesel that i fill up with is B5. i fill up at a shell covence store but the biodiesel is not a shell product. it is commercially made but i don't know where it was made.i have only seen biodiesel at to location in my area one is here in Greenville,NC and the other is Washington,NC potter oil company is the company that distributer it in my area i don't know where they get it from but i have seen potter selling in this area for several years now.

Last edited:

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
So ask it and hope that there is maturity in the responses. You don't have a PD, so no problems there--I've run B100 in both of my TDIs with no problems, as long as it is from a good source no one can fault you for using it, except for maybe AUDI5000 ;).
Cheers,
-BB

dddiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta
What % Bio did you fill up with? (B20 is 20% Bio, 80% diesel)
Was it commercially made? or homebrew?

Winter isn't the best time to 'start' using bio depending on the % bio. If the nighttime lows are above freezing, you'll be fine with B20. As long as you didn't fill up with higher than B20, in NC you should be okay.

All the best.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
dddiesel said:
What % Bio did you fill up with? (B20 is 20% Bio, 80% diesel)
Was it commercially made? or homebrew?

Winter isn't the best time to 'start' using bio depending on the % bio. If the nighttime lows are above freezing, you'll be fine with B20. As long as you didn't fill up with higher than B20, in NC you should be okay.

All the best.

I know the OP's message is hard to read. It sounds like someone struggling with a 2nd language. Nonetheless, dddiesel, you might try to actually read the message: every one of your questions was answered in the original post.

dddiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta
naturist said:
I know the OP's message is hard to read. It sounds like someone struggling with a 2nd language. Nonetheless, dddiesel, you might try to actually read the message: every one of your questions was answered in the original post.
Naturist, with all due respect.... it wasn't when I asked the questions. :p You obviously weren't on late last night to read the original post.
Looks like he answered the questions by editing his original post.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Don't worry about our collective attitude. We aren't really that big and mean, we just type that way sometimes.
B5 is a low concentration so there should be almost no perceptible change from your experiences with 100% petroleum diesel. Don't worry about your fuel any more than you should worry about what we might say.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
dddiesel said:
Naturist, with all due respect.... it wasn't when I asked the questions. :p You obviously weren't on late last night to read the original post.
Looks like he answered the questions by editing his original post.
doh! Newbie gets the smack-down on a veteran. We need that every once in a while here.:D

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
tdijerry said:
i fill my car up for the first time today with B biodiesel. i hope it works out OK i guess i need to search before i get fussed out on here.i do have some question but i want ask about them here don't want to up set any one. :( the biodiesel that i fill up with is B5. i fill up at a shell covence store but the biodiesel is not a shell product. it is commercially made but i don't know where it was made.i have only seen biodiesel at to location in my area one is here in Greenville,NC and the other is Washington,NC potter oil company is the company that distributer it in my area i don't know where they get it from but i have seen potter selling in this area for several years now.
B5 isn't much to worry with -- it is actually the warranty-approved level of Biodiesel. Many folks use 20% (B20) without fear. I use 50 to 100% biodiesel in my 2006 Jetta with the PD-TDI... everyone says I'm gonna kill it, but so far I've got 37k miles and holding strong.

Chances are your Biodiesel is coming from Piedmont Biofuels of Moncure, NC. They have a million gallon facility in operation that they sell to distributers for blending purposes, about 7 to 10% of all their made fuel hits the "B100 Community Trail" -- 3.50 a gallon for pure biodiesel. B50 in the winter, with no price change. They resell the Biodiesel at D2 wholesale prices, I know Monson oil uses Piedmont Biofuel's stuff... chances are Potter Oil is too. You should call and ask them! :)