Biodiesel warning on a pump

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The Coca-Cola and Slim Jim snacks sold there aren't Mobil branded either.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Don't know what's on Claudio's mind, but it's interesting that this vendor of fuel is disclaiming any responsibility for not meeting auto manufacturers' requirements for fuel. Are there other auto manufacturers besides VWoA that limit bio to <5%?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Don't know what's on Claudio's mind, but it's interesting that this vendor of fuel is disclaiming any responsibility for not meeting auto manufacturers' requirements for fuel. Are there other auto manufacturers besides VWoA that limit bio to <5%?
I find the wording interesting as well.

BMW and MB as well as at least one HD diesel engine builder do not allow >B5 in N America.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
that's exactly what i was thinking, it is the first pump i see with this kind of disclaimer about possibly voiding manufacturer warranty...never seen that before even is other Mobil stations

GibMir1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta w/DSG Grenade
Common here in Illinois. Both BP & Mobil. I think it is from the BD being 11% mix for taxing purposes. Be careful with your 09!

FiveFilter

TDI
Biofuel is something of a developing cottage industry with many players and spotty regulations and standards. The fuel has more variability and associated risks regarding its source material, production, storage and distribution compared to standard diesel.

I think the established fuel industry, such as Exxon Mobil, have some liability from having their name on stations that dispense a fuel mixture that is relatively problematic and over which they have relatively less control.

The sign is an indication of this situation.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I've never seen this type of sign at the Shell in WoodDale Il that I frequent.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
Could be someone had an engine problem, nailed the seller and producer of the fuel for damages, seller or producer may had to pay off big $$$, so seller / producer is displaying a CYA statement hoping that another punter doesn't take them to court. It was only a matter of time. So hold the state responable for it's diesel/tax mix? I feel for all that live in states that invade policy without common sense. Surprised Maryland hasn't but then the Demo's are in love with big batteries on wheels here.
My $.02
Paul
Jump62

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
i live in IL and this is the first i have seen, i often use another Mobil station and it does not have this disclaimer