Biodiesel user question. Tevis Oil, MD

GreenGenes

I have been using B100 from Taylorsville Shell/Tevis Oil for part of this summer (when I was in the area). Have other users done any testing to determine the quality of the fuel by the time it comes out of this pump? I have shaken up one of my 6gal cans and then filled a glass jar and let it sit; to find one almost imperceptible bead of water in the bottom. After the same number of miles on B100 in my car and pump dino in my fathers, there was far less water in my filter (one BB size drop) than in his (at least 1ml). I understand water is not the only problem, and that is why I am looking for other users.

From what I have been reading it seems many users have turned to their garage and their own chemistry to get good fuel. I’m sure I’m not alone in the concerns I have with fuel supply and the ambiguity of the biodiesel world right now. Some people love it, some hate it; my jury is still out. I like the carbon cycle and renew-ability involved, not to mention I like sticking it to the Wahhabi supporting Saudi’s but, I don’t want to stick my wallet in the hands of the cashier at the repair shop!

Thanks to everyone on this site for gathering good information!

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Although we don`t get our fuel from Tevis we do have the same distributor, Tri Gas and Oil in Federalsburg. With over 2500 gallons of fuel from Tri Gas we have yet to have a fuel related problem, although the final retailer has a great deal of responsibility in keeping the product up to spec. We bioneers must accept that there will be problems when living on the edge and learn to roll with the punches.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Interesting ... as I to have had curiosity in the quality of biodiesel. I have been working on an unscientific test and have purchased fuel from several different pumps to visually and test temperature gell points and rubber compounds in. Nothing conclusivie yet but have found that the quality from different sources are quite different to the naked eye. For an example ... I filled on of my container from a 'known' source of BP 50 cetane Supreme and was shocked to see grit and dirt in my fuel. I can't conclusively say that the filter wasn't doing its job as it is possible that the dirty came from the pump nozzle. (container was clean) The point is that we probably do not always get perfect fuel no matter where we are pumping ... lets just hope our fuel filter is doing its job.

Lightman

Veteran Member
As RC said, a lot of the responsiblity of the cleanliness lies in the hands of the final retailer. BP supreme undoubtedly comes very clean from the refinery etc, and yours was likely dirty due to poor tank maintenance at that specific staion, or lack of them changing filters in the pumps, etc etc etc. For example two hess' in my area that get fuel from the same supplier were tested, both similar cetane, but one was much much dirtier. Arghh, since there are so few of us who even know what cetane is, let alone test fuel stations, the station managers really don't care IMO. Dump truck drivers certainly don't, and they buy more in one fillup than all the tdi's in my city do in a week, lol...

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Only a small drop of water is good, but there shouldn't be any. To me, indicates the bd is saturated with water, and any condensation will also remain out of solution.

Unscientific test:
Put a teaspoon of fresh veg. oil on a burner at a 212+ degress F. ( Just hot enough to boil water ). Note how many bubbles form. Should be over in a minute. Fresh vo should almost no bubbles.

Now try with your bd. If you see a lot of small bubles, that indicates high water content.

A lack of brownish bubbles is a good sign too. That means there is little free glycerin, another potential problem.

You could also warm your original bd sample to accelerate the water drop-out rate.

Pass it through another fuel filter if you're worried about particles.

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
To bowlerman:
Hooray! I see your selling biodiesel! Congradulations and I hope you're 200 gallons of bd happier.

Jim