Biodiesel is cheap in Salt Lake City

Ernie Rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 2003, silver
Hi, folks,

Thought you would like to know-- I stopped in at the Dal Soglio Phillips station in Midvale, Utah (near Salt Lake City) today and bought some B20. The price was $2.13 per gallon. I think that's about 10 to 15 cents cheaper than dinodiesel in the same area.

Ernie Rogers

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
Of course it's way less expensive there given the fact that Utah is the soybean capital of the world.

Here in Illinois, fresh Alaskan salmon and live Maine lobster is being givien away to the homeless 'cause it is so inexpensive.

I swear...the world is upside down.

Next thing, people will stampede the dealers for Hummers 'cause they only get 6 MPG and all of the worlds nations will bow down at our feet in praise and admiration because we are the worlds most wasteful consumer of natural resources.

(Maybe all TDI'ers wil also be incarcerated 'cause they run on alternative fuels and get 50 MPG. Think I will put a SUV logo on mine first thing in the morning. Just to be safe.)

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
eyetdiman said:
Of course it's way less expensive there given the fact that Utah is the soybean capital of the world.

Here in Illinois, fresh Alaskan salmon and live Maine lobster is being givien away to the homeless 'cause it is so inexpensive.

I swear...the world is upside down.

Next thing, people will stampede the dealers for Hummers 'cause they only get 6 MPG and all of the worlds nations will bow down at our feet in praise and admiration because we are the worlds most wasteful consumer of natural resources.

(Maybe all TDI'ers wil also be incarcerated 'cause they run on alternative fuels and get 50 MPG. Think I will put a SUV logo on mine first thing in the morning. Just to be safe.)
Actually, I spoke with the owner about his source. He trucks in all the Bio from California--he says that he wants to promote bio use, and since he is one of the first/only retailers in Utah selling bio, he is selling it below the cost of dyno. With the tax credits he says he can still turn a profit, although it's not as much as they are turning up here in the northwest ($3.39 for B75, and it IS produced locally :mad:)
Oh well, such is life.
-BB

fish_on

TDI
2010 Jetta, White, DSG
Are the bio sellers keeping the tax credit and if so can we apply for it? The guy selling bio in Linnton just keeps raising his prices, it is lower now but only because he thinned it out for the winter. If they are not going to pass on the tax credit they should get hammered.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The best way to hammer someone like that, fish on, is to vote with your wallet - go buy elsewhere. If you are unwilling to do that, then you have no right to complain.

stuart6022

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Is there a list somewhere of all the places to buy biodiesel? I only know of one locally here in the Tacoma, WA area.

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
Powder Hound said:
The best way to hammer someone like that, fish on, is to vote with your wallet - go buy elsewhere. If you are unwilling to do that, then you have no right to complain.
Certainly true, but when there is only one supplier for miles around, as there is in my area. It's take it or leave it.
(Suppose I could build a rail road siding spur to my home, which is only a mile from a main RR line, and then get a tank car full of the stuff...naugh, not very practicle!!)

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
not so cheap bioD

Man, what a tease!! Wish I could report the same over here; was quoted $3.90/gal from a supplier in Portland CT today. The supplier is listed on Biodiesel.org's map of retail fueling sites.

Taylor Oil Co Inc is somehow affiliated with a company of the same name in Somerville NJ - same NJ phone number is listed for both. I called NJ and was given another number where I had to practically pry yet a third number out of an oddly reluctant lady to finally get hold of the actual CT facility.

The lady who answered my call there was nice as could be, but knew very little; put me on hold for each question I had. Nobody there knew who actually produced the fuel. She took my number and promised someone would call with more info.

Well, I guess we'll see, but I am not terribly encouraged just yet and at nearly $4 a gallon :eek: I won't be cruising over there with a bunch of cans in hand anytime soon.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
BleachedBora said:
Actually, I spoke with the owner about his source. He trucks in all the Bio from California--he says that he wants to promote bio use, and since he is one of the first/only retailers in Utah selling bio, he is selling it below the cost of dyno. With the tax credits he says he can still turn a profit, although it's not as much as they are turning up here in the northwest ($3.39 for B75, and it IS produced locally :mad:)
Oh well, such is life.
-BB
Wait a minute - did he say which plant in California? Bakersfield plant, perhaps? I still hear of B100 being trucked into California, and complain about transport costs.

My wife paid $3.63 in Berkeley today to fill up the Golf with B99.99

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
What is the address of the station? I need to fill up there!

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
Ernie has found out that the $2.12 is not the whole cost..... they add on Federal taxes, Utah state sales tax, Utah road tax, and then deduct $.20 a gallon because it's B20 and they get the credit... Net cost to you worked out to 2.41 a gallon...

Ask me how I know.... I had Ernie pick some up for me. It sure looks and feels more like B100 than B20 that I got.... I'll be putting some in the refridgerator to see how it fares with clouding up and settling.

My gut feel is that with it being winter and biodiesels problems with clouding in 25 to 30 degree temperatures, now that it's the dead of winter, there's a surplus of biodiesel.... people don't want to take the risk with expensive clogged fuel filters and changing them out.

The fuel looks exactly like the stuff that Mudshark buys at the Ventura Docks.

Last edited:

Ernie Rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 2003, silver
Location of bio in Utah

Oops, I'm visiting in Alaska, don't have the address, but--

The station is Dal Soglio Sinclair. Go to the back office and tell him Ernie sent you ;)

On I-15, south of Salt Lake, take the 72nd S. exit, go west to the signal and turn left. The station is about 1/3 mile ahead on right.

Info from Audi5000: he said it went cloudy above 37 deg. F. We are convinced they must have given me B100 by mistake.

Ernie Rogers

MTB_TDI said:
What is the address of the station? I need to fill up there!

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
Any other experiences with Taylor oil in NJ? Its about a 40 min drive from me, 20 when visiting my girlfriends folks.
Any idea on the per gal prices and if they offer B5? My golf is still under warranty.