Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B20 -> more than 100 litres

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
We are currently negotiating with a company to supply biodiesel for purchase at TDI Fest 2003. We need to get an idea of how much we might expect to need so that we can attempt to negotiate a good price and make arrangements for how it will be delivered. Please answer the following poll if you are coming to TDI Fest 2003 and would like to purchase biodiesel.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I've voted, but...
The amount of fuel I'd buy will depend on the price. My usual cost is us$2.40 per gallon (or about cnd$1 per liter). I'd leave my car's tank low and fill up there at the fest at that approximate price. If the cost is significantly higher, say cdn$1.25 or more per liter, I'd decline to purchase any at the fest and would continue to pursue my "south of the border" cache idea.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Agree with price point decision basis

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
I just spoke with Biodiesel Canada Inc. and they are saying the prices will be approx:
B20 0.70/litre
B100 0.75/litre

Of course these are subject to changes in the market but I would say that we're not going to be anywhere near the $1 mark Jonathan.

With that said, let the voting continue.

I've voted, but...
The amount of fuel I'd buy will depend on the price. My usual cost is us$2.40 per gallon (or about cnd$1 per liter). I'd leave my car's tank low and fill up there at the fest at that approximate price. If the cost is significantly higher, say cdn$1.25 or more per liter, I'd decline to purchase any at the fest and would continue to pursue my "south of the border" cache idea.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
What an amazing bargain!!! Is this virgin soy base oil or recycled?

That works out to $1.91 and $2.04 USD per gallon assuming $0.72 USD per $1 CAD.

I've already voted for B100. Will both be made available or only one or the other?

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
It may be recylced oil. They have several suppliers but whatever they bring it will be ASTM (sp?) certified.

He will bring B20 and B100 in the tanker.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Hmmm...
Now I'm considering option 3; bring two empty 55 gallon barrels, fill up and pay the duty to bring the fuel back home.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I'm not sure but I believe that you need special permits to transport fuel in that volume. Maybe is it exempt because it is bio deisel?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
From taking biodiesel the otherway with Free Trade, the only issue was PST & GST (sales taxes) that the border people "MIGHT" collect. I haven't payed any, but I've never transported as much as you plan to. Check with US customs.

Fred

Lug_Nut

TDI
Within the US there is a limit of 100 gallons before special permits are required. I will make certain that the volume limitations, as well as the duties and fees that may be levied, won't bring the cost above that at which I can buy it at my local haunt.

Lug_Nut

TDI
The logistics of importing the fuel are more than that with I wish to deal. The price savings for my 100 gallon purchase would be offset by the higher tolls (extra axle), reduced economy (mid 60's down to mid 40's), security and storage during the fest. When the added scrutiny during return trip border crossing and the potential of duties (I still haven't been able to get a consistant answer from the "Homeland Security" megalith) are considered....Well.
I've decided to only bring back that fuel that will fit in my tank.
On which day(s) will the fuel be available? Can I arrive Friday on fumes, buy some for use at the track on Saturday and then fill up to uber-vent level on Sunday or Monday for my return?

I'll be buying not more than 20 gallons, or 75 liters.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
Don't forget to place your "vote" in order to help us get the right quantities of fuel in the tanker. Biodiesel Canada Inc. is providing a good price and they will also be getting the media out to promote biodiesel so the more we have "lined up" to fuel up, the better the message we send out to the marketing gurus out there.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Back to the top.
On which day(s) will biodiesel be available?
Cash only or charge cards accepted?

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
Right now biodiesel will be available on Saturday morning before the rally (B100 and B20). We will be getting amazing pricing (very near their cost) so make sure you're on fumes so you can take advantage of the pricing.
The question I need answered is: is there another time that people want to have the fuel available? Sunday afternoon?

Lug_Nut

TDI
How about Monday evening after I burn through a few gallons at Mosport? Or Tuesday evening at my house?

Saturday morning will be fine. Method of payment?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
So, we good to go? Should I re-read the thread to get the details (just reviewing the overview page and didn't see the BioD mentioned in that page so ... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif)?

When will the BioD be availible. As it is right now I can probably make it there with the commute today and tomorrow and be ready to fill up - not sure about fuel for the whole rally - (anyone know how far it will be mileage wise?)

G

---

DOH (need to read the posts before the last one . . .)

Saturday morning will be great - depending on how long the rally is maybe after too /images/graemlins/wink.gif that way i'd have a nice full tank for the drive home /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
I've updated the event page to mention the BD.
BD will be available on the Saturday morning before the rally. As far as the distance for the rally goes - I don't know if it's part of fincoop's secret plans or not /images/graemlins/grin.gif so I won't reveal the actual milage but let's just say it's less than 200KM. If fincoop wants the distance to be known he can post here.

wren

TDI
Jetta - 01 silver GLS
Anyone know the volume of biodiesel pumped at the fest? Sure were a lot of cars lined up to get it.

Thank you BIO-DIESEL CANADA for suppling it at an amazing price (about $0.66 Canadian per L IIRC).

Mike656

Just curious, did any US members bring any bio back across the border in containers? Whats the actual/realistic policy with customs say if I had like four 5 gallon jugs in the back?

Thanks

Lug_Nut

TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Mike656 said:
Whats the actual/realistic policy with customs say if I had like four 5 gallon jugs in the back? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I came across on the Niagara Falls bridge, the first time I've crossed there. I pulled up to the booth. The inspector asked "Citizen of..?" "U.S." I reply as I offer my open passport.
"Anything to de..." He pauses, sniffs the air, starts scenting like a bloodhound to discover the source of the odor wafting his way. "It's my biodiesel. I run the car on it."
"The converted french fry stuff?"
I'm shocked! He actually knows about biodiesel and the difference from vegetable oil.
We talked briefly. He never asked to check the trunk where I had four 5 gallon jugs in addition to the contents of the fuel tank.

What would I have done had I been questioned about the fuel not in the tank? I was ready to claim that I buy my biodiesel in the states, that, to my knowledge, there is no retail source of biodiesel in Canada, and that I had taken the precaution of bringing ample amounts so that I didn't run out.

dropFROG

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf 2001
The last of my dino'd down bio is now out... the smoothness is gone and smokin like a good diesel should now. Thanks to all that set this up for the one tank experience.. now I guess I wait till we get some up here in Canada.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
i brought a measly 20 liters back in . . . no problems - no questions

did I miss the total amount dispensed post (like I missed the details? on the first page?)

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
I've been busy catching up at work and home to do follow up with Biodiesel Canada but I'll try and get those numbers this week.