Bilstein tc rear shock install

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I’m doing this in my driveway. I did this many moons ago and can’t remember the order of events. What are the steps in replacing the rear shocks? Please refresh my memory.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You do not specify what it is on. But... most are: remove shock fasteners, remove shock, swap upper mount over to new shock, reinstall on car. If it is a strut, it is a little more work.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
You might want to inspect the rear shock bump stop and replace them as well. They are part of what holds the plastic boot cover.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Rear shocks. Do the mounts go bad? I ordered them, but if it’s not necessary I don’t want to change them: with this lockdown, $,s tight.

P.S do you load the rear axle when tightening the bolts? I’ll be using jack stands and floor jack...

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Rear shocks. Do the mounts go bad? I ordered them, but if it’s not necessary I don’t want to change them: with this lockdown, $,s tight.

P.S do you load the rear axle when tightening the bolts? I’ll be using jack stands and floor jack...
They can go bad if the nut loosens and it allows the mount to get pounded by a loose shock rod. Otherwise, I see no reason to replace.

I didn't load up the shock when i tightened the lower bolt. I don't know why that would matter unlike the control arm bushing which rotates under load.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
how much are these rear shocks costing you?

I tow a little with my jetta and im sure my rear springs are shot. when I hit sharp edges and ruts in the road it feels like I got no rear suspension at all and im in a tractor with steel wheels. even when unloaded. I bet my bump stops are crushed to nothing too. I need all new suspension. same boat with covid.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
You sure its not your rear beam bushings that are bad.......