Big Rear Brakes? 2012 Jetta

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I want to know how you're not braking for corners on the track. 'cause I barrel toward the corner and brake hard in a straight line right before I turn in. Sometimes, I'll brake late and still be braking on the turn in, which is when I risk losing the rear end, unless I have the portioning valve removed/blocked.
I dont waste my time with track. It's boring and the same set of turns every time. Fun yes. Boring yes. A high demand on cars wear and tear yes.
Thus why I only autocross and some times I track cross.
I brake as I would need to but going a max of 45 and some times 60.... you dont need brakes to be intensely hardcore.
Most of the time I'm carrying my speed into he next turn. Your track events can send you into a wall or worse. I am not committed enough to full send like a pro.
So have fun with a decks worth of lumber going 130 mph around a track with your insane brake upgrade.

Cephyr13

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT
I dont waste my time with track. It's boring and the same set of turns every time. Fun yes. Boring yes. A high demand on cars wear and tear yes.
Thus why I only autocross and some times I track cross.
I brake as I would need to but going a max of 45 and some times 60.... you dont need brakes to be intensely hardcore.
Most of the time I'm carrying my speed into he next turn. Your track events can send you into a wall or worse. I am not committed enough to full send like a pro.
So have fun with a decks worth of lumber going 130 mph around a track with your insane brake upgrade.
No, steel hitches, not decks of lumber. And like I said, the M3 is my track car. The Jetta is my work car.

I don't autocross anymore. Takes way too long for very few runs and you have to work corners. It's cheap, but not really worth it. Once I started running on tracks, I never went back to autocross. Well, I take that back--I tried it again years later, but the SHO was set up for the track, not autocross. I either needed a featherweight FWD car or a RWD at the time. Didn't have the E46 yet.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
I replaced my brakes with a Zimmerman/Akebono setup.
And next, I had my TDI Guru replace the stock suspension with a Bilstein B4 on all the corners with all new mounts and hardware.
This is a magical combination.
Face it, you CAN make a MK6 VW feel like a German car again.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Replacing the worn suspension (springs, shocks, struts, mounts) and brakes added more fahrvergnugen to my current mk6 than all of the more costly power enhancements I'd made to my previous mk6.

Cephyr13

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT
I replaced my brakes with a Zimmerman/Akebono setup.
And next, I had my TDI Guru replace the stock suspension with a Bilstein B4 on all the corners with all new mounts and hardware.
This is a magical combination.
Face it, you CAN make a MK6 VW feel like a German car again.
I have progressive, twin tube, race suspension on my MK6. Helped a ton. That's the first thing I do to all of my cars.