BHW to BEW VNT-17 Compressor Housing Interchangeability

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
Does anyone know if the compressor housing from a VNT-17 BEW turbo would fit on a GT1749va from a BHW? I have a 1749 on my ALH, but the compressor outlet is not in an ideal location and the 90º turn on the BEW compressor housing would be perfect.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
In theory yes, however there are a few variations on trim on the compressor wheels, best to measure with a micrometer to make sure !

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know. Looks like I’ll have to read up on turbo measurements and keep an eye out for an old BEW turbo to scavenge parts from!

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
A BEW turbo is NOT a VNT17.
I've just been doing some reading about the different turbos and came across that fact. Looks like the BEW came with a BW KP39, which has a smaller compressor wheel and a different style of attaching the compressor housing. VNT-17's are available as an upgrade for the BEW, but from what I can tell they are the GT1749vb, which has a slightly larger compressor wheel than my GT1749va and therefore aren't interchangeable. Apparently the European PD130 turbo is a va, and should have the same compressor dimensions as mine with the right angle compressor outlet I need. The difficult part is finding one available in North America for a reasonable price!

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Correct, BEW comes with a Borg-Warner KP39 which is totally different from the Garrett VNT17. Not even close to the same.