BHW TDI allroad build questions

11o7

TDI
TDI allroad
Hey everyone,
Hope you’re all doing well during these trying times. I’ve been scouring this forum for awhile as I put together my tdi allroad build and now that it’s almost done, I’m hoping some of you who’ve gone down the same road could help me navigate through some of the hurdles I have left. The bhw is all swapped in And now, the wiring is getting buttoned up. The main issues we are trying to figure out are:
1) how to get the AC working using the allroad’s climate unit
2) how to get the cruise control working.
3) Also, who did you guys use for tuning? I’m looking for this to hopefully hit 1000km on the highway and maybe 170hp w/ 300ft/lbs

project specs:
2005 allroad donor (manual)
-BHW swap
-18zl bbk up front, S6 rear brakes
-S6 aluminum rear subframe (for those salty Ontario winters lol)
-TDI 01E w/tall 6th gear from Fran’s
-Whitbread 30lb billet flywheel w/fx350 clutch
-s-line white diesel euro instrument cluster
-S6 black alcantara headliner/sport seats
-hitch
-19” peelers
-upgraded sway bars

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Sounds like a nice build, congrats on getting it this far. Sounds like you have it running and driving?

1) One of the keys to this is coding the engine ECU for Climatronic. The BHW code block allows this (I can't remember right now exactly how but you will find out without much looking), but watch out when you choose a tuner, because the BEW based tunes that some tuners use to match BHW with the manual trans does not always incorporate it. Speaking from memory so excuse any mistakes but IIRC you want a tune based on the BHW or BGW engines. This is not the only factor so there could be something else preventing it from working, but it's the piece that sometimes doesn't play well on the BHW/Audi swaps.

2) This is probably a coding issue also, in terms of enabling cruise, or it may be a gear ratio matching issue. Manual compatibility tunes based on BEW file again can be troublesome in this area since they require the tune to incorporate the trans and diff gear ratios. If the ratios aren't programmed correctly in the tune, then when you go to engage cruise it won't allow it. Probably want to ask your tuner about this. If they need the ratios for the tune they will usually ask you what your trans code is and get them built in right.

3) Lots of excellent options for this, oftentimes the best one is the one that happens to communicate well with you and/or has good local support or dealer.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
I got my AC working on my 2002 A6 by installing a new switch next to my radio that engages the compressor through a ground relay. When the compressor clutch gets power, that engages the electric radiator fan through another relay. The temperature controls for the AC still work as they should because the cabin temperature sensor regulates the blower fan speed as needed.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
Levi's Youtube video shows where to conect the wire from the clutch or brake pedal to the ECU for the Cruise to work. My memory isn't as good as it used to be , but I remember running another wire from my speedometer output to somewhere on the ECU. I was using the wiring diagrams from both the Passat TDI and the Audi A6 to figure this out.

stp359

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 4motion tdi 6speed
1) no need to do anything special. Just connect the 3 wires from the HVAC to the ECU. 2 of them are the same colors as in the passat. You connect them to the same pins. The 3rd one is for the RPM. It's pin 28 if my memory is good(It could be 27 though). You can use a multimeter to check the voltage change following the RPM on both pins to make sure which one is for the RPM. I will try to find my wiring paper and repost here

2) You need to add a wire for the clutch and you need to add another wire to the ECU for the vehicle speed sensor(you will get a fault code for it anyways so you can't miss it). I split the cluster's harness and added soldered a wire to the speed signal wire.

3)The BGW flash will be the OEM settings for a manual transmission for that engine. The problem is in the communication with the ABS module.It was giving me a ''system monitoring version'' error. I have a BHW manual flash from a tuner but the feeling on the gas pedal is not the same as with the BGW file(The ABS module is happy with the BHW manual flash)