BHW swap into 2003 Explorer Sport Trac

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I just acquired a nice 4x4 4.0 V6 Sport Trac ( 4.10 gears and about 4000 lbs curb weight) and am starting my build thread. I plan to use the TD Adapters adapter/starter to bolt up the BHW to the Ford 5R55W automatic. My primary challenges will be:
1. Controlling the Ford automatic
2. Controlling the BHW
3. Wiring
4. Throttle control (2004 up DBW Explorer throttle pedal will be required if I go with the passat ecu).
Secondary challenges will be more straightforward:
1. Motor mounts
2. Fuel lines:
3. Boost circuitry
4. Power steering hoses
5. AC hoses
I plan to post up photos, challenges as they arise and welcome feedback/comments/questions as this thread evolves. Engine tune details will not be addressed in this thread. I do have a complete Passat geared bsm BHW stage 2 tuned TDI donor so that should help.
This isn't my first swap rodeo as my daily right now is my 4x4 1997 F150 automatic previously a 5.4 gas now an OM606 turbo diesel still using the OE E4OD tranny successfully. Both engine and tranny are controlled aftermarket and therein lies my initial decision for controls for the BHW and the 5R55W tranny. An aftermarket ecu is available from the same guy who provided my MB ecu so I have the option of either using the passat ecu and harness versus the aftermarket. At this point in time, I plan to go Passat ecu and harness modified as required for the Sport Trac. I also plan to use the Ford oe control for the tranny. I foresee two OBD2 ports, one for the BHW, and one for the rest of the truck.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I'm pulling the 4 liter out of the sport Trac this week and will be photographing the empty engine compartment and taking measurements for the BHW build. My plan is to keep the ride height stock at present but know the challenges of oil pan clearances on 4x4 conversions so will have to mock up 3-D measurements while the engine is out. I'm initially putting all new timing chains on the Ford 4.0 and reinstalling it for winter as I begin collecting my conversion parts. TDadapters sells the tdi adapter plate/starter for the 4.0 Ford for either automatic or 5sp manual the only difference being the starter adapter so I plan to use the 4R55W Explorer automatic initially and if that doesn't work out, will go 5sp manual. I wish Ford made a 6 speed for this configuration but the 5 sp and the automatic will yield about 2400 at 70 MPH which I can live with as the explorer is a bit heavier than the donor Passat .

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I just acquired a nice 4x4 4.0 V6 Sport Trac ( 4.10 gears and about 4000 lbs curb weight) and am starting my build thread. I plan to use the TD Adapters adapter/starter to bolt up the BHW to the Ford 5R55W automatic. My primary challenges will be:
1. Controlling the Ford automatic
2. Controlling the BHW
3. Wiring
4. Throttle control (2004 up DBW Explorer throttle pedal will be required if I go with the passat ecu).
Secondary challenges will be more straightforward:
1. Motor mounts
2. Fuel lines:
3. Boost circuitry
4. Power steering hoses
5. AC hoses
I plan to post up photos, challenges as they arise and welcome feedback/comments/questions as this thread evolves. Engine tune details will not be addressed in this thread. I do have a complete Passat geared bsm BHW stage 2 tuned TDI donor so that should help.
This isn't my first swap rodeo as my daily right now is my 4x4 1997 F150 automatic previously a 5.4 gas now an OM606 turbo diesel still using the OE E4OD tranny successfully. Both engine and tranny are controlled aftermarket and therein lies my initial decision for controls for the BHW and the 5R55W tranny. An aftermarket ecu is available from the same guy who provided my MB ecu so I have the option of either using the passat ecu and harness versus the aftermarket. At this point in time, I plan to go Passat ecu and harness modified as required for the Sport Trac. I also plan to use the Ford oe control for the tranny. I foresee two OBD2 ports, one for the BHW, and one for the rest of the truck.
I want to follow this one! I love both the sport tracs and the bhw engines. Should be nice!

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Should be a fun build. I'll be acquiring the conversion parts in the next months. Just got a lead on an 06 explorer part out which is dbw throttle and hoping it is a simple 0-5v gas pedal assembly. I need a complete wiring diagram of the explorer. Any tips on sourcing one would help.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Should be a fun build. I'll be acquiring the conversion parts in the next months. Just got a lead on an 06 explorer part out which is dbw throttle and hoping it is a simple 0-5v gas pedal assembly. I need a complete wiring diagram of the explorer. Any tips on sourcing one would help.
Try prodemand. Not sure how much it costs, but they have some pretty decent wiring diagrams. Even better if you have a friend who has a shop and has it...

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
2400 rpm should be great.

I just took a 4 hr one way road trip. I set my cruise at 3100 rpm approx 80 mph for maybe 2 hrs of the trip. I never dropped less than 41 mpg on the trip.