BHW smoke on start up

klausw123

TDI
2005 bhw passat swapped into a 98 4 runner
I have a 2005 Passat tdi (BHW) that I swapped into a Toyota, I have bin driving it for a couple years now.
when I cold start it it smokes a lot sometimes and some times more then others, it really is hit and miss but generally the colder it is the more it smokes.
I have compression tested it and all numbers were 410-420 psi which from what I can see online is still really good. I just cant figure out what is causing it to run like that, when I first did the swap it ran so good, I have drove it now about 40000km and it probably started about 5000-8000km ago

does anyone have any ideas of something I could check? I have a video of we starting it in -4C weather, just to note that the smoke level in the video is average but some times it more.
Video

more info on the swap:
-custom stage 2 Malone tune
-has a upgrade turbo from X-man turbo
-new timing belt
-running proper spec oil for the PD
-has fresh fuel filter
-have already tried doing a injector purge
-has new camshaft and lifters
-injection timing is 0.0
-I've tried switching tunes and it doesn't change anything
-fully deleted

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
By injection timing do you mean the torsion value? If so 0.0 could be 0.0 or it could mean out of range which then defaults to 0.0. Try to get it to +/- 1.5-2 and see what it does. While you're in there get it to normal running temperature and check out then injector quantity and post results .

I'm assuming it was smoking before the cam and timing belt change, hopefully we can eliminate the possibility of the timing belt being installed a tooth off if this answer was a yes and proper cam/crank lock tools were used during the install process.

Hopefully getting torsion value into range will help, if it does then you can adjust from + to - and get the MPG or power you want from her. I don't think many with stock set up run more than +/-2.5 not those with aftermarket performance cams can run further out to get their desired results.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Does it have the correct voltage glow plugs in it for the software? There are two versions, 5v and 7v.

FWIW, I bought my 2004 Passat TDI brand new, and it put a puff out at cold start from the get-go, always has. First time I saw it started it still had Wrapguard on it, right off the truck. But it dissipates fairly quickly.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I also get a little puff on initial start up, even after sitting just a few hours. With the tune I can put out a pretty good amount of constant black smoke if I hit the go pedal and hold it, my least favorite part of the tune. Luckily the BHW has enough torque to move the Toyota without having to give that much throttle very often. I wish I had a "since new" comparison. My newest BHW purchase had 180,xxx on the odometer. Has 202,xxx now and counting. Oldest is about 25x,xxx.

The only time I had constant unburnt diesel smoke was when I fired it up after sitting for years. An injector cleaning treatment solved that and the injection quantity numbers came back into an acceptable range.

LorenS

TDI
2005 Passat
My 2005 does the same thing, it's gotten a little worse in the last 39k miles I've owned it (2.5 years). It now has over 227,000 miles. I, too, have tried diesel purge with no real success. I do wonder if the injectors could stand to be freshened; I tried contacting DriveByWire via the website, but received no reply and he doesn't seem to be a member here anymore.

gmar8099

TDI
2005 VW Passat TDI GLS Wagon
Also in need of injector rebuild options here - rough running on cold start, 300K miles...Does anyone have a current best recommendation? I found DriveByWire - looks ok on the site, is the company legit? Experiences?

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
Im curious too. 208000 miles. had the tandem pump and valve cover replaced for an oil leak. may have to remove injectors and put new seals on them.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
I've used DriveByWire for rebuilt injectors for my ALH Jetta. The product quality seems great, have close to 100k kms on the injectors since having them done. That said, the owner? or whoever I dealt with was very arrogant/rude and there were extra steps I had to take to get my core refunded. I personally wouldn't want to deal with him again, but the actual work seems to be high quality.