BHW short block limits

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
Before anyone says it, i've searched. Repeatedly. Tough to get definitive answers.

What are the accepted limits of BHW main shortblock components?

Block
Crank
Rods
Pistons

I'm building a BHW to "play around with" and need to know what hardware will be a problem as i develop the engine.

Assume tuning is decent. I know it's all about cylinder pressure and when.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Matt Whitbread is up in Johannesburg near Grayling, would be a good contact, go through his website. He has one in his ranger, I believe it’s all stock except the TwinTurbo set up. If I recall correctly he’s running over 50 pounds of boost.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
Yeah i know about Whitbread. I have a buddy that spends all his money there.

I'm an engine development engineer. Since everybody is moving to EV's including my employer, i will have to get my jollies building my own stuff.
I'm trying to data mine the community rather than spending all my money on blown up engine rebuilding.
I am also a fierce DIY type and don't want to just write a check like most people do. I'm advancing my craft.

I guess i could spend a few weeks measuring every part, design it in CAD, then do FEA and run hand calcs on the parts, but i'm lazy enough i thought i would ask here first for the community read.

Koehn

TDI
2005 A4 Avant Quattro 6-Speed (AVF)
According to this thread (Post #10) Machineman ran 75psi in a stock BHW bottom end when he had compound turbos.

I'm kinda interested to hear if people have broken ARL/BHW rods and when/what they were doing. I'd love to not have to upgrade mine when I start pushing for more power.