Bhw performance manifold

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
I made up a 7mm phenolic intake spacer and after realized that the manifold hits the exhaust manifold so this is what i came up with.. i like the way it turned out practically looks oem and i can finally do away with block off plates while i was in the process i figured i would bore the oulet from 1.280 to 1.580 what a difference spools the turbo sooner the exhaust is quieter great mod considering it was free and i figure it would help at the high rpm once i put a bigger turbo on

For those considering a phenolic intake spacer it definitely makes a huge difference in intake manifold temps it only get warm to the touch instead of the same temp as the cylinder head

I think my egts are a tad bit to hott :( does anyone else have a glowing manifold?

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually i ran no gaskets just cleaned the two surfaces good i figured the phenolic is soft enough it should compensate

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Actually i ran no gaskets just cleaned the two surfaces good i figured the phenolic is soft enough it should compensate
interesting...i wonder how it will hold up to repeated heat cycling...

I bought a phenolic intake spacer kit, it included two gaskets...

Every carbureted engine that I have dealt with that has a phenolic spacer has gaskets on either side...

just my observations :rolleyes:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Phenolic spacers work. Not snake oil by any means.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Every carbureted engine that I have dealt with that has a phenolic spacer has gaskets on either side...
bolded the issue here

diesels just gotta keep most of the boost in (and the dirt out in the case of n/a ones)
gasoline engines can't have vacuum leaks or different cylinders get different AFRs

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats what i figure i dont hear any signs of boost leakage i removed it after 500miles of driving no signs of blow out

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Thats so kool
Not a bhw manifold but I got a glowing diesel manifold :D 316 diary grade tube 5 into 1 custom made for my 5 pot. I had to wrap it to keep the bay temps down but as it was on a rolling road with low air flow I think that helped the glowing.