BHW meets A340F...any pointers before going stand alone

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I'm almost finished with my 1st gen 4 runner tdi conversion using an r150f.

The little lady's disco 2 land rover sucks fuel and is consuming a bit of coolant. I want to drop a tdi in it this fall.

I plan to use the 89 to 94 Toyota pick up/4 runner a340f found behind the 3.0 v6 and a 4.10 gear 4 runner or explorer Ford 8.8 rear axle to solve the parking brake/offset rear axle issue.

Before I drop money into a stand alone any pointers to using the bhw or even an alh pedal for the tps signal and fooling the rpm feed to change my shift patterns for the diesel?

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
I did an 05 Ranger with an automatic a few years ago. Used the TDI pedal for the Ford TPS signal. Had to add a small resistor to get the voltage correct but don't remember much else about it. I had lots of help from the guys on the Rangerstation forum so you should be able to find the info on there. https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/05-ranger-tdi-conversion.161412/
I also used a Digital Dakota box to modify the VSS into the Ranger ECU to then adjust the shift points. Truck is still in service 5 years later with a local farmer.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Good info. An adapter can be used to transfer the mechanical vss over to electronic signal.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Wow, I suck. I had just scanned your first post and saw 3L V6 and the word Ford and assumed you were using Ford running gear. My Ranger swap info may not help much then and I have not done a Toyota swap.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The a340f is a zf trans used by several manufacturers so I didn't question it. The f denotes Toyota 4wd.

The only Ford part possibly used in this swap would be the 8.8 explorer rear end. Due to ease of adapting the 5x4.5 lug pattern to the rover 5x120 via centric wheel spacers and its Dana 44 type strength. She will hold 33 inch tires better than the rover axles.

I don't think I can adapt the 6 lug yota axle as easily to 5x120 and the disk brake yota axles are usually demand more of a premium. Converting a 1st or 2nd gen 4 runner axle to rear disks would be a must using off the shelf gm parts and a print-cut caliper mount bracket