Bhw issues after cam replacement

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 vw jetta 1.9 alh 5 spd
@Nathan_og even if it’s on the high side, if it’s within spec, what’s it matter?

And, thanks for keeping this updated as I am following your trials and tribulations. I hope you find the problem and hope for a good result.

Have you talked to the original shop at all or just washed your hands of it, chalking it up to learning?
I can’t really get much out of the original shop and at this point I don’t even wanna bother. I’ve taking it has a learning experience. It’s most definitely engine damage as the vacuum, boost, electrical, fuel, and everything is perfect.

I don’t want to put anymore money into this car so I will just drive it and get rid of it soon. Either that or swap a used engine but the last thing I want to do is spend more money doing that only for the transmission to go out.

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
What car would you rather have?
Not sure honestly. I’m looking at Honda accords around 2008 to 12. I don’t mind vw as well and other Tdi’s. I am kinda leaning towards gas now especially those Hondas being dead easy and simple to work on and pretty efficient

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
I car pool in a almost new Honda Accord. Turbo 4 cylinder. It’s a nice car and runs down the road nicely, but it feels and sounds like a tin can econo-box compared to my B5.5 wagon. It has 86k, I have 205k. Miles.

To each their own, but you should drive it till you find another engine and swap it.

Sucks to have a “mechanic” ruin your car for you free of charge.

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
I car pool in a almost new Honda Accord. Turbo 4 cylinder. It’s a nice car and runs down the road nicely, but it feels and sounds like a tin can econo-box compared to my B5.5 wagon. It has 86k, I have 205k. Miles.

To each their own, but you should drive it till you find another engine and swap it.

Sucks to have a “mechanic” ruin your car for you free of charge.
That’s exactly what I’m doing right now just gonna drive it till something blows. It cruises actually very nicely just the lag is annoying but is only a issue for safety when the car is cold first thing in the morning.

Also burns a lot more but basically the same as some gas cars and diesel is actually cheaper then gas right now where I’m at so it’s not terrible overall.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
it probably means gas is way overtaxed up there
Gas, booze, cigarettes etc.

Canadians used to come into the shopping outlets near slippery rock, pa by the bus load....no taxes on clothing items in pa. Back then at least. Should also add prescription and non prescription drugs. No taxes on grocery items either.

Now hockey gear, you pay taxes on that.

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I’ve decided gonna be getting the head pulled off in about 2 weeks, got a used head on the way. Hoping it’s just a bent valve or something and the bottom end is fine

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the used head here it looks good. Before I get the head pulled off I was thinking, since the shop damaged cyl 1 and 4 injectors maybe there’s a chance cyl 2 and 3 are damaged as well. I’ve replaced the 2 damaged ones with a good used tested pair.

On cold start the iq for cyl 1 and 4 is around 0.14 to 0.19

Where cyl 2 and 3 are around
0.90 to 1.30, the numbers fluctuate a bit.

I know these numbers are within spec but when the 2 other injectors were damaged they too were in spec except for the very first min or 2 on cold start.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
Glad you are going to get it all fixed and up to snuff.

I tried reading back and prolly missed it, but what exactly was ruined on injectors 1 and 4?

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad you are going to get it all fixed and up to snuff.

I tried reading back and prolly missed it, but what exactly was ruined on injectors 1 and 4?

I have no clue whatsoever at all and neither does any of the shops. All I know is the injectors had perfect iq’s before the cam swap, after the cam and injector re seal I did not ask for, those 2 injectors went to 2.99 and the other 2 also are on the high side.

The injectors look perfectly fine with not a sign they were even touched. The shop I took it to suspects maybe the injector height was set wrong but even then they doubt that would destroy them

yadic

TDI
just looking
Update: scanned car, no codes except intake flap which has always been there. Checked torsion value it was 0.5, engine was cold when checked.

injector balance
Cyl 1) -1.86
Cyl 2) -0.71
Cyl 3) -0.05
Cyl 4) +2.64
All checked when cold. I don’t recall cyl 4 ever being that high but not sure.

I did a n75 test, actuator moved perfectly to fully open and fully closed.
After the car was idleing for a few min I took it for a drive, at first it had big turbo lag which started to get better the more I drive. Now after driving for a few min the car pulls almost as how it did before and the turbo lag is lessened but still much more then before.

also when coming to a stop hardwood flooring atlanta, I hear a noise which sounds like it’s coming from the brakes booster and the pedal kinda dips for a sec and rpm drop as well very slightly.
My kid bought an 05 Passat but barely runs no power really rough and smoke. We were hoping for a quick EGR replacement fix but that didn't do it. After doing the cam inspection and finding significant wear on number one and number four we are going to swap the cam, lifters, timing belt, water pump and do the balance shaft fix. The car has 180,000 miles and excellent compression. Wish us luck, LOL. The link for premium members at the end of the inspection article doesn't work but I found the thread for cam placement.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
The cam swap is pretty easy. I'd recommend replacing the tandem pump, tandem pump gasket, rear coolant sensor, rear coolant tee and rear coolant hose while in there.

After two BHW motors... I wished I'd had done all at once on both!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The cam swap is pretty easy. I'd recommend replacing the tandem pump, tandem pump gasket, rear coolant sensor, rear coolant tee and rear coolant hose while in there.

After two BHW motors... I wished I'd had done all at once on both!
And that thin crossover bleed hose that runs from the back of the head to the middle of the driver's side coolant pipe if it shows any signs of swelling from oil contamination (which it will)

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
Well changed out those 2 injectors , burns noticeable less now maybe 9 or 10 litres cruising at 80 which is still much more then it did before, slightly better power, still dangerously laggy. I doubt anything will come of pulling the head so most likely gonna drive it for now and buy a Honda or Toyota or a golf wagon 2.5 5cyl

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
I may still pull the head myself to save some labour. Is it a hard job to do for someone who’s never done one?
Also I was wondering, how do you rotate the crank for example to set the injector height? Doesn’t the car have to be in service position? It look pretty tight from what I saw